Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2004 Mazda 6i around a month ago. When I first drove the car and inspected the engine it seems to run smoothly with no surprising or odd noises. However, the past week or so I have noticed a clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine block when the car is running. When I put my hand on the engine cover it vibrates/shakes. I can't remember if I recall this correctly, but I feel like someone told me that since the car is a 4 cylinder that it won't run perfectly smooth and that the engine might vibrate/shake a little and is expected of 4 cylinders.

My concern lies in the fact that before I bought this Mazda, I was looking at a Mazda 3 and it made similar noises, but they were louder and the engine shook a lot more. When I brought it to my mechanic he told me as soon as he saw/heard the engine not to buy it. I brought this Mazda 6 to the same mechanic and said that it seems like a good buy, and the car looks/sounds in good condition. Could anyone give me any explanation to this clicking/ticking noise? Is there anything seriously wrong with my engine? Could cold weather cause this to happen?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think i know the sound you are referring to, try doing this to confirm..

When u hear the sound again, put the car in neutral and see if it stops, its like a clicking sound thats not to be heard, ive gotten use to mines but it seems to be with most 6's theres a post somewhere on here about this already it has something to do with a belt of some sort i cant remember the name.. ill search and get back..

found it here http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=54551&hl=

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have a manual transmission, so the only time I can go outside of the car while it is running is while it's in neutral. So, I don't think that would do anything. Also, I wouldn't really describe the noise as squeaky. It's more like a clicking, like something in the engine is off.

Maybe a belt needs to be timed or the pistons are firing all at the right time. I know if I bring it in to my crap Mazda dealer ship they'll just keep it all day, then when I go to pick it up tell me nothing to wrong or that it isn't under warranty and try to kick me out of the door.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think it happens all the time. I've just noticed it everyone once in awhile. And usually have the car has been running for a little bit.

I'm no mechanic and have pretty much NO mechanic abilities or intuition, but when an engine is clicking/ticking and shaking, I think that means there is a strong possibility that something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If your putting your hand on the engine cover and it's shaking, that's way more vibration than normal. I would assume that you can see the engine moving also. (???) It is a running engine so there will be some vibration, but not enough to see the engine moving around.

You didn't mention a CEL so we can assume there are none. The easy things to check or confirm would be:

1) Gas - go fill up at another station
2) Toss a bottle of injector cleaner in with your new gas.
3) Drive for a few days to see if the problem gets better/worse.
4) Spark plugs and/or wires. Plugs are usually good for at least 30-40K.
5) Clean the MAF and check all the intake related hoses and fittings.

The ticking sound isn't a good sign. I would pull the engine beauty cover off and 'listen' around different points on the engine using a large screwdriver as a stethescope to isolate where the sound is coming from.

Any smoke, stalling, hestitation or other symptoms?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Is it rhythmic? Is it rapid like a chatter, or slow tick? Ticking is not necessarily bad. These engines do not have hydraulic lifters to take up valve lash as the valvetrain wears. Ticking valves and even fuel injectors are normal. As for vibration, your hand on the engine isn't a very good indicator, but if its visibly shaking bad, thats no good. I'd be concerned only if your engine clacked like a diesel.

Any other symptoms? How many miles on your 6?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In response to Shane23's last post, it definitely is not any noise that I can hear inside or that sounds like a bolt or loose piece of material rolling around. I can only hear it occasionally when I open the hood/am outside the car and the engine is running.

Also, by CEL I assume you mean Check Engine Light, and no the light is not on - thankfully.

There are a little over 24,000 miles on it, I just recently ran some fuel system cleaner through it on my last full tank of gas, and if I recall correctly it was doing it before that and is still does it now. THE CAR DOES NOT MAKE THIS NOISE ALL THE TIME, JUST ONCE IN AWHILE. When it happens, it's hard not to notice.

I did recently read an article about cleaning the MAF sensor and how that can be beneficial to the car's overall health, but have not done anything about it yet, so I'm not sure if that could be the case or not.

I have however, been noticing some slight hesitation from the car in lower gears (manual transmission). I will shift into gear and press the accelerator. I've always been told that with a manual transmission, once the car is in gear, the acceleration should be nearly instantaneous, but my car hesitates for a second before it really accelerates all the way through.

I might have exaggerated with the engine shaking, I realize that if I put my hand on a running engine that there will be some vibration/shaking. I just wanted to include hat I felt like it might have been shaking a little bit more than normal.

Finally, yes, the sound is rhythmic, when it occurs it is a continuous ticking/clicking noise that happens about every half a second or so and is coming from the passenger side of the engine block. I recently came across a TSB (http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about3477.html) about the drive belt tensioner, and I think it might be this, however I am not sure.

I guess I will have to bring it into my crappy useless dealership who will pretend they looked at it and then go ahead and say nothing is wrong with it.

Any advice is definitely welcome. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It sounds like what you've described is exactly what my '06 6i with 2400mi has made from day one, and its a light tick which I can only hear when I hop out with the engine running. If you're not able to hear the tick inside the cabin easily, you have a normal engine noise.

Regarding the hesitation... this engine, below 2500 RPM, does not have a lot of torque, which probably contributes to what you feel is hesitation. Hit the gas, you don't really go.

FWIW, my '95 Saturn makes normal noises that are a lot louder, its got noisy low-impedence injectors, and on morning start-up the valves make a loud, very rapid click until the hydraulic lifters pump up.

I have one experience with a noise that was a problem. My family had a '93 Dynasty that was like a single cylinder knock under acceleration, noticeable from 2-4k RPM. Eventually, a rocker arm tower broke around 130k, and though it ran, pretty rough, on 5 cylinders, that was it for that car.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Answer Found, Was There the whole time..

Answer=http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about3477.html

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2003 - 2005 Mazda6 2.3L vehicles with VINs lower than 1YV*P8***55M54250
( produced before April 1, 2005)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit an unusual noise such as rattling, groaning, or squeaking from the engine compartment during normal driving conditions. The noise may be caused by the drive belt tensioner spring making contact with the internal tensioner cup.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

More Here

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...5&Itemid=51

·
Registered
487 Posts
i had that problem.

It started as a quiet tick I could only hear when driving by a wall. I thought it was just really time for an oil change. check levels and what not and fluids looked fine. A week later, it was rattling and sounded like a diesel in the cabin. I was driving back home too, and there was a garage fire, but i just smelled burning and panicked, but false alarm for me. Then I got home, poked under the hood and ticking from the exhaust cams. Well, no it turns out to be right under the exhaust cams (phew!)

Well, thats my story on the belt tensioner going bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts