Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally, when I've driving, I tend to launch the car from idle RPM ~750RPM, rather than rev it up high and droping the clutch. Obviously, for any kinda drag racing and acceleration testing you would need to rev the car up higher, but I worry about what this may do to the transmission. I'm not worried to much about wearable parts like the clutch, but I don't want to mess up the engine mounts, drive shafts etc. I would like to take the car out as others have done and see what it could do at a drag strip, but I worry about the after effects. What can our car handle? Should I wait til I get a aftermarket clutch?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reading Topic: Question about drag racing and drop launching your car

Brillo,

You really don't need an aftermarket clutch. It will just change the pedal effort and make it hard to drive. The factory clutch is designed to handle the power and torque the car is capable of. You should only feather launch your car off a dead stop. The point is to get the car off from zero without bogging. If you do it right, you don't have to rev it very high to get good result.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Speaking of 1/4 miles, does anyone here have any timeslips? I would like to know what this car is capable of. Not that I am interested in drag racing but it's useful info nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Well the Motor trend on my desk says 15.1 in the 1/4 @94.2mph
C&D television had "just a hair over 15" and I can't remember if it was this forum or over on the protege forum someone actually went to the track and got a 15.4. Don't really plan on racing mine either, but its nice to know which cars I should be scared of ;)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Question about drag racing and drop launching your car'

Originally posted by redss

Brillo,

You really don't need an aftermarket clutch. It will just change the pedal effort and make it hard to drive. The factory clutch is designed to handle the power and torque the car is capable of. You should only feather launch your car off a dead stop. The point is to get the car off from zero without bogging. If you do it right, you don't have to rev it very high to get good result.[/b]
if I should only feather launch off a dead stop, wouldn't that include a drag run, since you start from a dead stop? What RPM do you guys launch from that you find gives the best launch without bogging down?

·
Registered
229 Posts

Brillo,

That's all in the technique. I usually see about 2500 rpm and feather the car off from a dead stop and as the car move, I just hammer the gas and let the clutch go. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

To lessen the strain clutch and driveline, there is a technique where you rev and let the clutch out so it just about catching at the same time. I know alot of amateur racers who use this is high powered cars, that is higher power than what the original tranny was designed for. They say its super tricky to get the revs up high enough while letting the clutch partially engage.

·
Registered
229 Posts

nothing tricky about it. It's just engaging the clutch to the point where it is barely catching the flywheel but not enough to move the car. When the light turns green, slam goes the gas and engage the clutch. It's skill and practice. I had plenty of that during the early 90's on westhiemer with my civic.

·
Registered
127 Posts

What to expect from your 6s, if do a clutch drop?

Wheel hop is a problem that I have experienced from time to time, and is something you want to stay away from. I think that the wheel hop on the 6s is from the rubber brushings that connect the engine cradle to the unibody.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Question about drag racing and drop launching your car'

Last night was the first time I did a "drag" race launch. I was on a slight decline, so I couldn't get my car to stand still. I really wanted to see how good I could it to stay in one place with the clutch partially engaged, oh well. So I reved to 3500, clutch partially out, brake in, using the heal for the brake and the toe for the throttle. Revved to 3500, dropped clutch and brake and took off like at bat out of hell! Only a little tire chirp, no noticable wheel hop, and no bad smell from the clutch afterward either. I can't wait to take this thing to the track. Maybe next Wednesday. I'll post the timeslips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts