Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Mazda6 and I might be trading in for a Speed6. I just had a few questions that I couldn't answer myself through searching.

1. Is the trunk space the same? I have a custom sub-box that would be wasted if it couldn't fit.

2. Could the Metra-Dash kit be used? I know you wouldn't need it but I think it would look better any way.

3. Just to clarify, there is no difference in the lug pattern for rims. I have a set of rims and just bought some new Toyo tires and would not want to waste those either.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
1. Sedan regular 6 to speed 6 is the same. Speed6 just has xbracing behind the seat.

2. No. Not yet. As of now they don't work on the speed6 or any 06 for that matter.

3. Lug pattern is identical. Regular 6 rims fit on the speed6, so if the rims fit on your current car, they will fit on the speed6

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yup nailed it on the head ... The biggest bets difference is the fun factor but it does suck that the seats don't fold....

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses. But crap! The seats don't fold down? That's kind of crappy. I loved that feature because I could show off my system. What is that Xbrace though? I am wondering if that would prohibit me from using my custom box.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
the metra kit has been installed on an 06 with no problems. Only issue was color obviously..Taking the black dash to silver. The guy that did his painted his kit black to match.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. But crap! The seats don't fold down? That's kind of crappy. I loved that feature because I could show off my system. What is that Xbrace though? I am wondering if that would prohibit me from using my custom box.
[/b]
They do fold, it just has to be done manually. The release is the same, just no lever to do it.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know they do go down but you have to get round all the bracing... not your traaditional fold down deal is what I meant.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
sooo odd

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the trunk is actually a good bit smaller than the sedan. the extra bracing eats up about 6-8 linear inches.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the calipers on the speed are thicker than on the standard 6, therefore NOT all wheels fitting the mazda 6 will fit on the speed 6.... afaik....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think the calipers on the speed are thicker than on the standard 6, therefore NOT all wheels fitting the mazda 6 will fit on the speed 6.... afaik....
[/b]
True, I think the stock 17's clear the rotor (Stock 17's on the regular 6), but 16's will not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the trunk is actually a good bit smaller than the sedan. the extra bracing eats up about 6-8 linear inches.
[/b]
This is a good point. While for all intensive purposes the trunk seems the same size, it isn't exactly, due to the bracing. Most notably for me was when I tried to put the cargo tray from my 03 6s into my Speed 6. It won't fit unless you remove the trim panel that hides the bracing. Even then, I'm not 100% it will fit since I didn't try it. I ended up ordering the one for the speed 6. Though, in my opinion the difference is more like 3-4 inches.

·
Registered
127 Posts
another difference is about 60 hp!
[/b]
but that will change in MY 07, won't it? the 2006 mx-5 is faster than the 2005 mazdaspeed miata. any chance the 2007 6-cylinder mazda6 could be on par with the 2006 mazdaspeed6 in terms of performance?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
but that will change in MY 07, won't it? the 2006 mx-5 is faster than the 2005 mazdaspeed miata. any chance the 2007 6-cylinder mazda6 could be on par with the 2006 mazdaspeed6 in terms of performance?
[/b]

NO.

Try 2008.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a good point. While for all intensive purposes the trunk seems the same size, it isn't exactly, due to the bracing. Most notably for me was when I tried to put the cargo tray from my 03 6s into my Speed 6. It won't fit unless you remove the trim panel that hides the bracing. Even then, I'm not 100% it will fit since I didn't try it. I ended up ordering the one for the speed 6. Though, in my opinion the difference is more like 3-4 inches.
[/b]
Dstone,
Your mod of the phrase "intents and purposes" to "intensive purposes" made me laugh. Was this deliberate? Sorry, just an old English teacher coming out I guess.java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_21')
;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
[/b]
True, but his question was lug pattern. So referring to the lug pattern, all wheels that fit the 6 will fit the MS6. All mazda cars 2003 and up have the same lug pattern, 5x114.3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
scottiedoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing