Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already pulled a couple searches on this without any answer to my question. I know about the IPOD, but my question is about the USB connection. It says that it will use any storag device, now does this include a hard drive? I ask because I can get an external hard drive for cheaper then an IPOD and would prefer this (more GB for the $$). And if I can do this does the hard drive need any special programs on it? Or can I just load all my MP3s on it and use my radio controls??

ßill

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think I remember seeing this question somewhere else.

I've heard that the unit doesn't provide enough power to run the hard drive. You would have to hook an adapter into the 12v car supply and into the drive's power input. If you did that, an external hard drive would work the same as a usb flash drive. No special programs or anything would need to be installed (since you don't have to do so with a flash drive).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a hard drive that is powered by the USB, and iirc it said something about not needing an outside source if it can be powered by the USB. But if this is all I need then I know what my next purchase is going to be.

ßill

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well I have a hard drive that is powered by the USB, and iirc it said something about not needing an outside source if it can be powered by the USB. But if this is all I need then I know what my next purchase is going to be.

ßill
[/b]
Yes, but some usb devices draw more than others and this does not provide enough power for an actual hard drive. You would need a self powered (battery or additional plug) or just a flash drive.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
TheShockWave and bfisher are both correct. Thanks guys!

Flash drives have no moving parts, so they use very little power. The AudioLink was made specifically for them and will not power an actual hard drive.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great! Looks like I have one more thing to add to my shopping list. Thanx guys!

ßill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts