Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, just to give an overview of what I'd like to achieve out of my new system that I will need help putting together. I'd like to get the system to be vocally loud while maintaining a pretty good bass. I don't want distortion if possible, but i don't play my music deafening loud (20 or higher on the bose head unit volume). I've read a few reviews on the site, but haven't been able to make my decision because everyone has their own preferences. I am going to be putting in a 4-channel amp for the door speakers and a mono amp for the sub as well.

I was leaning towards the Polk Audio with the reviews i have read, but i have no knowledge of what is good/not good. I don't even know what amp to get ( i know there is like 40x4, 70x4, 90x4) for 4-channel amps. What I am asking is if someone could help me put together a pretty decent system that doesn't sound like crap but is better than the stock bose system.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
what's the budget?brand preference for amps? sub choice?

as for the reviews you've read, you might want to go hear them for yourself. While soundboards may not be the right environment for the speakers, it gives you opportunity to hear them before you make your purchase.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at around 200 for the amp ( alpine ) and leaving the stock sub for now. so i'll deal with the sub and mono amp at a later time. right now i am focusing on just the door speakers and 4chan amp. i'll dish out another 400 for door speakers if not a little more

i've got a few sound shops by my house, but they don't have setups for me to listen to unfortunately. closest thing i got is Best Buy and they almost never have the speakers i am looking for (mostly low end is what they have)

acutally, here's an amp that i am considering.... Alpine MRP-F450, unless i can get away with the MRP-F250.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
if you're looking at alpine amps, I'd probably look at the MRV-F345, on ebay right now it is around 250 shipped. you can get a matching sub amp later

for door speakers, look for a component set up front,it will cost more but will in the end sound better

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, ebay is a great place! that's where i do my shopping.

what about the Polk Audio db6500 or the Polk Audio MMC6500 ?

the Polk Audio MMC6500 seems to have highs and lows

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
the polk audio's look decent, you'll need to mod the sail panel to fit the 1" tweet, or mount it elsewhere though, I believe the sail panel takes 3/4"

a couple other brands to look at would be cdt audio, mb quart.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found a few mb quarts, but they are 5 1/4 inches... should i try to find 6.5" ones?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i searched crutchfield and it said i can do 6.5" in the fron and 5.25" in the back... i think that is accurate.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
those mb's look good, one thing to warn you about is they use metal dome tweets. all that means is they can sound a little bright, the crossovers do have ways to tune them down.

here's some cdt's to check out
here

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
they have metal domes(titanium) just like the mb's, I don't remember as many people remarking about how bright they are. But then again I mostly said on the spl side of things, so keeping up is considered normal for me.

for a decent system, you can use the polks, or maybe look at the alpine type s or type r components
for a higher end system, look at the mb's, premium or reference line, or cdts

there's alot more to chose from, but I'm just giving you a small grouping to look at

just looking at the link you gave me, the cl series convertibles are looking tempting to me even

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
oh whoops... i found the component section http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=CDTSP

these are getting a lil pricey... but they are really good, correct?[/b]

for a normal listener they may seem like most other speakers out there, but in a well designed system they should be a significant improvement, but those are aiming toward competitors, not the normal consumer.

I'd stick with the classic line if your looking at cdt, it will be a huge improvement over bose. you won't regret it

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
for a normal listener they may seem like most other speakers out there, but in a well designed system they should be a significant improvement, but those are aiming toward competitors, not the normal consumer.

I'd stick with the classic line if your looking at cdt, it will be a huge improvement over bose. you won't regret it[/b]
oh, okay... i understand. i'm going to look into the classics as they are more price-conservative. should i try getting the CDTs for all four doors? also, what RMS should i be lookin for?

i found these running 160RMS Power CDT Audio CL-62 6 1/2" component system

they are the ones you showed me and they have the highest RMS....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
convertibles

the ones I just linked are the convertible cl series, it has a 3/4" tweeter, which should fit in the sail panel if you wanted.

as for what rms to look for, just look to make sure you aren't going to overpower it with your amp. now not all rms ratings are accurate, I ran a set of pg zeropoint components for a couple years, rated at 100 watts(only spec, not per channel or max) and I ran 150 to 200 watts per channel on it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts