Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm putting together a cart for some typical PM stuff (plus some fun stuff). I'm still fairly new to these cars, so I want to give folks a chance to add suggestions before I order.
What typically needs replacing on a 2016 6 (MTX) at 75k, other than the standard tune up stuff? Or just something that's nice to have around because it will eventually need replacing.

Here's my list so far:
  1. wheel bearings (both front - starting to hear a little grind on the pass side)
  2. brake/clutch fluid (for a brake fluid flush and change)
  3. a bunch of oil and mtx plug gaskets and a few oil filters just to have on hand.
  4. a bunch of the plastic rivets that secure the lower covers and the plastic trim on the rocker panels (the fronts of them have come loose, probably due to snow and ice)
  5. spark plugs
  6. air filter
  7. new piece of lower window trim for back door (a clip is broke on one of mine and it's fucking up the sleek lines especially on a sunny day)
  8. heavy duty rubber floor mats (will come in handy for a northern IL winter)
  9. roof rack
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I hate ordering stuff, then realize I gotta order stuff again because I didn't think to get it at the time.

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
At 75k how're your brake pads/rotors looking? Probably worth replacing before the bearings and I'd say is a much more likely cause of your grinding. I'm around 175k miles and my bearings are still doing well despite New England roads doing their best to screw up anything/everything.

I had heavy duty rubber mats and they were good but I much prefer my weathertech ones, so look into that and an alternative.

Front suspension may be starting to get worn depending on how you drive but likely doesn't need replacing yet. Being that you're above the rust belt, take a peek at your rear strut upper mounting bracket - they're made of some garbage aluminum and can randomly break to pieces on you. Mine lasted about 7 years though so you're probably fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks @Byakuya
I already have the brake pads and rotors. Those will be replaced this weekend.

The reason I was thinking wheel bearing is because it grinds on low-speed left turns especially. And I get that little bit of vibration on the highway (this could very well be the tires though, which also need to be replaced soon).
I'll do the brakes and tires first, then see how it sounds and feels 🍻

·
Rally Racer
2,816 Posts
@RandallCunninghamJrIII
I have had several wheel bearings that change pitch and/or intensity when cornering.
Replacing them will give you a known service point, but, I would be inclined to slide the axle shafts out of the hub and rotate the bearings by hand when the brake job is done. Of course that could be a lot easier said than done if they are anything like mine were (frozen splines).
  • Replacement axle nuts?
  • Anti-seize lube?
  • PCV?
  • Cabin filter?
Just top of the head stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @DrFeelGood
Got my cart ready to go via realmazdaparts. I should probably look up a vendor list on this site - there's probably somewhere with better deals, but at least I know I'm getting OEM parts (I hope!)

·
Rally Racer
2,816 Posts
Thanks @DrFeelGood
Got my cart ready to go via realmazdaparts. I should probably look up a vendor list on this site - there's probably somewhere with better deals, but at least I know I'm getting OEM parts (I hope!)
No problem. 😊
I tend to use rockauto for most stuff. I choose the suppliers that furnish Mazda (or Honda or Toyota) when I order.
for example Koyo bearing in the Toyota or NSK in the Mazda (for some). generally I choose a Japanese manufacturer when possible. This is usually a crapshoot as I have ordered two of the "exact" same bearings and one was made in Japan and the other in Brazil. 🤷‍♂️
Mazda does not make their own bearings, they use an international supplier. I say pick your favorite and go with it.
I will use factory supplied when I cannot find listings elsewhere (my two alternator bearings for example).

·
Registered
2016 6
78 Posts
For a kind of fun item but honestly just an overall handling plus I would get a strut tower bar. I installed the adjustable Tanabe bar and it holds up really nice and affects the sway of the car when handling turns immensely. It was also a super easy install. I also bet adding some stabilizers to the rear would help out as well too, I’ve found a few places with chassis stiffening bars for sale but haven’t tried any out yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a kind of fun item but honestly just an overall handling plus I would get a strut tower bar. I installed the adjustable Tanabe bar and it holds up really nice and affects the sway of the car when handling turns immensely. It was also a super easy install. I also bet adding some stabilizers to the rear would help out as well too, I’ve found a few places with chassis stiffening bars for sale but haven’t tried any out yet.
This plus a new suspension eventually. Nothing crazy, just a little drop and something a little stiffer than stock.

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
This plus a new suspension eventually. Nothing crazy, just a little drop and something a little stiffer than stock.
I'm biased but I absolutely love the Bilsteins I put on my car and highly suggest others to do the same when upgrading suspension :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,
I'm putting together a cart for some typical PM stuff (plus some fun stuff). I'm still fairly new to these cars, so I want to give folks a chance to add suggestions before I order.
What typically needs replacing on a 2016 6 (MTX) at 75k, other than the standard tune up stuff? Or just something that's nice to have around because it will eventually need replacing.

Here's my list so far:
  1. wheel bearings (both front - starting to hear a little grind on the pass side)
  2. brake/clutch fluid (for a brake fluid flush and change)
  3. a bunch of oil and mtx plug gaskets and a few oil filters just to have on hand.
  4. a bunch of the plastic rivets that secure the lower covers and the plastic trim on the rocker panels (the fronts of them have come loose, probably due to snow and ice)
  5. spark plugs
  6. air filter
  7. new piece of lower window trim for back door (a clip is broke on one of mine and it's fucking up the sleek lines especially on a sunny day)
  8. heavy duty rubber floor mats (will come in handy for a northern IL winter)
  9. roof rack
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I hate ordering stuff, then realize I gotta order stuff again because I didn't think to get it at the time.
Genuine Mazda 6 Roof Rack Bars Saloon Sedan 2012- GHK1-V4-701
Heres the roof rack I have. Way cheaper than the Yakima and Thule setups

1 - 12 of 12 Posts