Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not interested in the "why didn't you just buy a Speed6" replies, because I have my reasons.

I am however interested in swapping the 5-speed manual in my '06 6s V6 for the 6-speed tranny in the Speed6. Has anyone done this before? I talked to one guy about it at a dealership, and he was being very rude and pretty much told me that I would need to replace the computer (I assume he meant the ECU) because the speedometer needs to know what gear I'm in to calcuate an accurate speed. So what happens if I'm between shifts or in neutral? :sarc:

What would I really need to replace? Clutch, flywheel, etc.... Is it worth it, or is there a better aftermarket way of getting a 6-speed tranny? Or should I just say screw it and just get a short throw on my current tranny?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
get a short throw.

I am too lazy to list the MANY reasons that it won't work/won't work correctly

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I talked to one guy about it at a dealership, and he was being very rude and pretty much told me that I would need to replace the computer (I assume he meant the ECU) because the speedometer needs to know what gear I'm in to calcuate an accurate speed.
[/b]
It always amazes me the number of people who work at car dealerships who don't know anything about cars or how they work. Kinid of like the Subaru salesman I once talked to who didn't know what engine displacement was.... :sarc:

As for your actual question, I would imagine the hassle and cost of making such a swap work just plain wouldn't be worth the effort. Changing major items like engines and transmissions to something non-factory on modern cars can be a LOT of work and cost.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you had an I4 you might have had a least a slim chance of making it work. With the V6 your not going to have much luck, just getting the block and tranny to bolt togeather would probably invlove a huge amount of cutting a welding, and then you'd have to figure out how to get the clutch and flywheel to work together.

It would probably cost you less to trade you car in on a speed6.

Just get the short throw.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welp... Not sure how you compair getting a short throw shifter v a whole different drive train, but... Yes it is possible.

I have no idea what the bell housing on the 6 is like, if the speed motor and the 6s motor have different housings you would have to get a converter fabbed, and that would be expensive. You would probably have to custom fab the rest of the mounting as well... But it is possible...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Short Throw!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You should grab a sign and protest in front of the Mazda6club HQ about this.
[/b]
I concor!!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
you dont need a 6 speed in the S. Its governed at 120 anyway and it easily gets there. Plus an extra gear would possibly make your car slower as most 6 speed cars use the last gear as an OD gear for better highway milage which seems kind of pointless to do just for that reason.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
It is possible, but the mounting is different and the housing is different. You'll need to get one and get up under the car to see just how different. But more trouble than it's worth.

The Getrag 6-Speed used in the Mondeo ST and the Noble M12 is a better fit since it's specifically designed for mounting to the 3.0L Duratec. And since it's used in the Noble, probably a stronger transmission too. It requires new mounts made up, probably set you back a few hundred to have someone get under there and do the fab work involved, but nothing too bad if you're really serious about it. And it has the added benefit of having readily available LSDs.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
It is possible, but the mounting is different and the housing is different. You'll need to get one and get up under the car to see just how different. But more trouble than it's worth.

The Getrag 6-Speed used in the Mondeo ST and the Noble M12 is a better fit since it's specifically designed for mounting to the 3.0L Duratec. And since it's used in the Noble, probably a stronger transmission too. It requires new mounts made up, probably set you back a few hundred to have someone get under there and do the fab work involved, but nothing too bad if you're really serious about it. And it has the added benefit of having readily available LSDs.
[/b]

that sounds like fun

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love my mazda 6 I just wish it was as easy to switch and swap parts from other more performance oriented cars ( like the speed6 ) like with honda and acuras

·
Registered
412 Posts
out of curiosity, is this just as problematic if it were a swap to the i4 from the speed6? Only one person slightly commented on that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm new to mazdas, my background is in honda motors, but I would say that the hardware would mostly bolt up (NOT SURE SO DON'T QUOTE ME) but if my reading is correct, it's the computer that would generate the problems. From my understand of what I have already read on the forum while the hardware is compatiable the software is not. ( I had the same idea ) But as RoX already said, it really wouldn't make that much of a difference since we governor at 120 and the 6 hits that in early in 5th, we would have no use for a sixth gear.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Since the MS6 is all-wheel drive, what's going to happen to the part of the tranny that's connected to the driveshaft? Just spinning with no cover on it? Plus, you might have to get new stub axles (half shafts). If money's an issue for you, then the short throw is the obvious answer. But if you have the funds to experiment, please be the guinea pig for us!

·
Registered
990 Posts
just wondering why....is it just to have a 6spd?

Seems like a hell of a lot of work (& $$) for little or no gain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts