Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching and have found threads related to bogging at heavy or wide open throttle but nothing about this specifically. Every time I cold start the car, no matter what time of day or what the weather conditions are, it will sound and feel like it has a random misfire as it's warming up. It's kind of like a misfire/muted backfire, that you just barely feel and hear and only on cold start up. The tach doesn't fluctuate or bounce and I don't have a CEL.

If the car was just run and is still at running temp and the car is started it does not do this, nor have I noticed it while idling after a short drive after a cold start. No idea if it is normal or not. Seems odd that it would be normal for the car to act like this. Anyone else had this experience yet?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i live on a hill so every morning, when climbing in first, i get some bogging. i dont know if that is what ur experiencing, but it is from the cold start.

if it s a semi-loud pop sound, then thats your ebrake detaching from the discs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I park in a flat garage with the car in neutral and the ebrake off. Also, the car doesn't bog or anything like that while driving. It is simply a "putt" sort of sound like a soft random puffing sound in the exhaust, reminescent of a misfire, that you can feel while the car is sitting still after having just been cold started before going anywhere. 1,000 miles on the car, btw.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ive noticed a similar thing,
my car basiclly runs like crap when its cold, I have never tried to floor it, ever, but even modest acceleration yields a hesitation feeling or bogging, almost lke the car pulls timing or is misfiring.
Its just not smooth like it is after the car is warmed up

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know this is going to sound funny but check all you fuses. My car was doing the same thing. My problem was a missing fuse. It was 7.5 amp fuse that just wasnt there. Dont ask why but when I replaced I had no more problems. I have no idea why it was gone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this is going to sound funny but check all you fuses. My car was doing the same thing. My problem was a missing fuse. It was 7.5 amp fuse that just wasnt there. Dont ask why but when I replaced I had no more problems. I have no idea why it was gone.
[/b]
That's about the last thing I would have thought of. I'll have to check that out. Which fuse was it? Also I've paid closer attention this morning before leaving for work and it seems the missing stops after the idle settles down to about 1k or below. Something about the warm-up process.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
[/b]
That is very odd... any ideaofwhich fuse it was?

Kick panel or under-hood?

I get this issue sometimes.

...Turboslimm...I see you're Orlando.

Did I see you leaving Bithlo one time? I saw a red Speed6 with numbers on the window but I was at the track the whole day and did not see any other Speed6's. The driver gaveme a nod as I was getting onto the 408.

I also saw a guy in a new Red Speed at the dealer when I was test driving the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This car is set to run rich. When cold, and especially at fast idle, you are bound to get a bit of misfire until things warm up. If the problem existed after warm up, I would be concerned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Did I see you leaving Bithlo one time? I saw a red Speed6 with numbers on the window but I was at the track the whole day and did not see any other Speed6's. The driver gaveme a nod as I was getting onto the 408.

I also saw a guy in a new Red Speed at the dealer when I was test driving the car.
[/b]
Bet you saw Mark "VelocityRed6" at Bithlo. I haven't been yet, but I'll be going this winter. When and where did you test drive? Doubt that was me either though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This car is set to run rich. When cold, and especially at fast idle, you are bound to get a bit of misfire until things warm up. If the problem existed after warm up, I would be concerned.
[/b]
I don't believe that. Mine runs perfect when cold, and mine certainly is no freak, if it's popping or sputtering when cold something IS wrong.

I've done some searching and have found threads related to bogging at heavy or wide open throttle but nothing about this specifically. Every time I cold start the car, no matter what time of day or what the weather conditions are, it will sound and feel like it has a random misfire as it's warming up. It's kind of like a misfire/muted backfire, that you just barely feel and hear and only on cold start up. The tach doesn't fluctuate or bounce and I don't have a CEL.

If the car was just run and is still at running temp and the car is started it does not do this, nor have I noticed it while idling after a short drive after a cold start. No idea if it is normal or not. Seems odd that it would be normal for the car to act like this. Anyone else had this experience yet?
[/b]
Has it always done this since new or is this something that started recently?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't believe that. Mine runs perfect when cold, and mine certainly is no freak, if it's popping or sputtering when cold something IS wrong.
[/b]
Mine does it also but keep in mind, I'm talking a very mild misfire that won't even show on the tach as the original post describes - not popping and sputtering. From my experience, a lot of cars at fast idle when cold will misfire slightly and I mean very slightly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has it always done this since new or is this something that started recently?
[/b]
Always done it. But as ManyMazdas stated, it doesn't even show up on the tach. Soon as the idle drops to 1k, is stops. I still find it odd and never had a car that did this. And what's with the ticking noise anyway? Every MZR-T I've heard has it. The engine itself is nice and quiet, except for that ticking.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is very odd... any ideaofwhich fuse it was?

Kick panel or under-hood?

I get this issue sometimes.

[/b]

that was me :D :D :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
On my other car I have the wideband. I noticed simlair problems and started watching it. Below is what I found.

Before the car comes to normal operating temperature (coolant temp) the car tries to richen up the A/F until it reaches temp. The car would bog a little and not feel like much power was there. This is on my other mazda but could be similair to the speed6.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't notice any misfire or anything, but my care does race to about 2000rpms and then slowly declines while warming up.
[/b]
I believe that's normal. Mine does the exact same thing. Some people have said they don't have the noise I'm hearing though. So I guess it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I checked and it wasn't the fuses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts