Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has done it, and I was wondering how bad it is for your car to do it.

By push starting, I mean putting the key to accessory, rolling it, and popping the clutch to start the engine.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I mean putting the key to accessory[/b]
The car needs to be in "RUN" in order to push start. I have done it, and it is rather easy. If you can feather the clutch to reverse or get rolling from a stop, thats all you need to do it. As far as how bad it is for you car, its good for your starter and electrical system, but isn't very kind to the clutch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by '06 M6 Owners Manual
Do not push-start a vehicle that has a
manual transaxle. It can damage the
emission control system.
:huh: I guess if you selected reverse and were moving forward or vice versa which reversed the engine's normal rotation it could be problematic.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
LOL, ya, you dont wana do that.

I think it says in the manual not to do it, but doesnt say why. If yoru starter died and you had to get to work or something I would do it, but other than that dont screw with it. I suppose it could confuse the complicated computer system, and might cause some issue, but who knows.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You are better off calling for roadside service. Waiting the week for them to come get you is better than trashing your clutch.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You are better off calling for roadside service. Waiting the week for them to come get you is better than trashing your clutch.
[/b]
+1

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's not something that you should do often, but if a jump is unavailable I see no reason not to pop start the car. Just put the key to run, put the car in second gear, start rolling foward, give the clutch a quick pop out and then back in, and you've got a running car. It's not THAT hard on the car. I know I do worse to my clutch driving, than popping it at 5 mph could possibly do.

I've done it in the 6, and it works, no problems.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do not push-start a vehicle that has a
manual transaxle. It can damage the
emission control system.
[/b]
"Regarding the issue of towing and pushing cars with a catalytic converter, it is perfectly fine to tow a car with one. Push starting one may cause problems if the engine is turning and supplying petrol but not firing. The reason a 'cat' may get its life shortened (but not ruined instantly) is that unburnt petrol is getting on to it, which might happen from persistent push starting where firing does not occur. Push starting due to a flat battery only (i.e starter won't turn) should be fine as the engine should fire as soon as it would when started normally.

One way of prolonging catalytic converter life is to avoid revving or blipping the engine before turning it off as this leaves unburnt fuel on it. By letting the engine idle for a few seconds before turning off lets it settle. Also very short journeys reduce its life as it doesn't get up to temperature."
[/b]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Shouldnt be any more unburt fuel than if you turned the car over and it didnt start right away...

Seems like a reach for a reason not to do it at best.

I know we did it a million times on my dads old truck, however that thing didnt have the millions of miles of computer cable in it this car does... LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shouldnt be any more unburt fuel than if you turned the car over and it didnt start right away...

Seems like a reach for a reason not to do it at best.

I know we did it a million times on my dads old truck, however that thing didnt have the millions of miles of computer cable in it this car does... LOL[/b]

Just thougbht I would mention the following story:

I woke up inside my car outside my flat one day at about 03:00 in the morning with a flat battery and all my windows wide open.
Not sure how it happened (drinking) but was a bit stressed about the windows being open, so I free-wheeled out of my complex and tried to pop it a few times going down the road, this did not work, so I went around a bend and down another road, popped it a few times again and nothing happened.

Some youngsters where busy mounting a protest outside of the "Northgate Dome" where they aparently performed with Will Smith and was never paid, they offered me some assistance and pushed the car down the road whilst I continued to attempt to pop the clutch and get it running - Nothing happened.

I eventually called roadside assistance who came over and within 1 minute from their arrival I had a running car again....

So, in my honest opinion, if your battery is dead - running start on a mazda 6 is not an option.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It needs just a small charge to feed ecu. So it you don't killed yours battery then you can do it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So, in my honest opinion, if your battery is dead - running start on a mazda 6 is not an option.[/b]
Interesting.

My battery died in a restaurant parking lot last year. Pushed her bout 20ft, popped clutch, and drove my arse straight to Autozone.

I assume it depends on just how dead your battery is, as I think Koya is hinting at. If it's so bad that it won't even carry current (open circuit) then yes, I guess I could see where pushing wouldn't work. But most "dead" batteries are only mostly dead...which, ya know, according to Miracle Max means they are still partly alive ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just thougbht I would mention the following story:

I woke up inside my car outside my flat one day at about 03:00 in the morning with a flat battery and all my windows wide open.
Not sure how it happened (drinking) but was a bit stressed about the windows being open, so I free-wheeled out of my complex and tried to pop it a few times going down the road, this did not work, so I went around a bend and down another road, popped it a few times again and nothing happened.

Some youngsters where busy mounting a protest outside of the "Northgate Dome" where they aparently performed with Will Smith and was never paid, they offered me some assistance and pushed the car down the road whilst I continued to attempt to pop the clutch and get it running - Nothing happened.

I eventually called roadside assistance who came over and within 1 minute from their arrival I had a running car again....

So, in my honest opinion, if your battery is dead - running start on a mazda 6 is not an option.[/b]
Yeah this happened to me once in my civic. Damn battery was so dead theres not even enough juice to feed the computer or spark the spark plugs. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts