Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil and look what I found!

[attachmentid=17731]

How do you think it happened? Did it happen when I unscrewed the filter? Or did that happen while in use? It's a PureONE...maybe I should start getting the Mazda ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mazda ones would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It didn't collapse, it was crushed.

You probably didn't have it seated all the way down the tube on the filter cap, and crushed it while tightening it down.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if that happened. Funny that it didn't seat itself when I tightened it. Now, I'm going to have to check the one I just put on. :( I was in a hurry as I couldn't feel my fingers by the time I put it in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
maybe you should not be changing your own oil. heheh
j/k offcourse. sucks man. you drove 3k miles with the filter like that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
that's funny my stock filter was partially collapsed but not as bad as that, just a little twisted. I figured it was normal. That one looks a little more crushed....

·
Registered
591 Posts
At least it looks like it still did its job. I would have been worried if it had tears in in it, but looks like it was ok.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Mazda dealer's service manager warned me about this. He said they've had four Mazda's come in with blown engines after quick stop type oil change places replaced the fitlers with ones that were too big. The crushed filter can apparnetly cause some big problems. My suggestion? Walk into the parts department of your Mazda dealership and ask for a deal on a 10-pack of filters and drain plug gaskets. They gave me a pretty sweet deal.....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My Mazda dealer's service manager warned me about this. He said they've had four Mazda's come in with blown engines after quick stop type oil change places replaced the fitlers with ones that were too big. The crushed filter can apparnetly cause some big problems. My suggestion? Walk into the parts department of your Mazda dealership and ask for a deal on a 10-pack of filters and drain plug gaskets. They gave me a pretty sweet deal.....
[/b]

AWWW i am going to tell you momma you said two bad words DEALERSHIP and DEAL from the DEALERSHIP awww............. :laugh:

·
Registered
217 Posts
AWWW i am going to tell you momma you said two bad words DEALERSHIP and DEAL from the DEALERSHIP awww............. :laugh:
[/b]
Actually in late summer I tried to get an quick oil change from a jiffy lube or whatever it was called. They didn't have an oil filter match for the Speed 6. Of course they said, "Oh try another one that is similar in size."

I chose the dealership because NO ONE had the right size filter for the Speed 6. I think the dealership, at present, is the only one with the right size oil filter...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Another tip with the filters from the stealership, check the box before you leave for the two gaskets. The other day it took 5 different filters to find one that had both in the box.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had a similar thing happen with the PureOne filter on my first oil change on my '06 6i. I checked online and in the catalog at the store for the part number. I put it in the filter canister and it all fit nicely. When I changed the oil, I noticed my filter was slightly twisted. I had bought another PureOne but used the stock Mazda part instead. I did compare the size of the filter, and the Purolator was about the thickness of the two white foam gaskets too thick. My filter wasn't crushed nearly as much as in the pic, but it was noticeable. Needless to say, I'm back to using Mazda filters. I doubt any harm was done to the engine, so long as the top and bottom of the filter seated properly and none of the filter material was torn. Still, not something I'd take a chance with.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Actually in late summer I tried to get an quick oil change from a jiffy lube or whatever it was called. They didn't have an oil filter match for the Speed 6. Of course they said, "Oh try another one that is similar in size."

I chose the dealership because NO ONE had the right size filter for the Speed 6. I think the dealership, at present, is the only one with the right size oil filter...
[/b]

are the filters the same for the NA 2.3??? if so they should be easy to find without having to deal with a dealership..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
are the filters the same for the NA 2.3??? if so they should be easy to find without having to deal with a dealership..
[/b]

Yea, they are the same filter as the NA 2.3.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Damn, just changed oil yesterday, PureOne's are my filter of choice. I am going to pull mine back off and put a Mazda filter in. Will let y'all know what I find.

I don't know what people complain about, changing oil on this car is a breeze. You can do it without making any mess.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Damn, just changed oil yesterday, PureOne's are my filter of choice. I am going to pull mine back off and put a Mazda filter in. Will let y'all know what I find.

I don't know what people complain about, changing oil on this car is a breeze. You can do it without making any mess.
[/b]
Ditto...Changed mine yeasterday and PureOne was the only filter available. I'm thinking about checking mine as well. Last time I used an STP filter (again, only one available) and had no issues. Guess I'll need to make a trip to the dealership.

As for the change itself...this car is 10X easier than my Contour was, and a piece of cake compared to my Jeep. I have no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the Napa Gold (I think) filters, and they come with new o-rings.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It could be that the collapsed filter reported was due to problems on install, maybe it got caught in a bind as it was trying to seat. I could see that happening if you tilted the cap too far and the filter laid over a bit. I think most of the fast oil change problems occur when they crack the plastic cap and it seeps oil. It bugs me enough that the small $$ spent is worth it for piece of mind. I would just as soon continue to use the PureOne and will leave the existing filter in there if there are no issues.

·
Registered
561 Posts
am i the only one that takes mine to the dealership? i only pay 20 bucks and for peace of mind, i think its worth it. at least i know mazda will stand behind their stuff, whereas mom and pop places probably wont.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts