Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats Up 6 club, how's every one? anyway as most know Ihad a GB going on for the Very controversial Pulse Plugs created by Enerpulse.

These plugs can be found here:

www.pulstarplug.com

Well now that the GB is over and everyone is receiving their respective plugs. i wanted to start a review on them. for any newcomers interested in purchasing and/or people whom are skeptical and are looking for more info before they buy.

I would like the good and bad of your experience with these plugs. everything from delivery, customer service, reliabilty, performance gain, overall feeling of the plugs.

This Thread is not for arguing but to give detailed discriptions of if the plug hold true to the company claim.

PRODUCT LINKS FOR REVIEW:(directly from the manufacturer)

-how they work: http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

-test results: http://www.pulstarplug.com/testresults.html

-horsepower: http://www.pulstarplug.com/horsepower.html

-torque: http://www.pulstarplug.com/torque.html

-fuel mileage: http://www.pulstarplug.com/fueleconomy.html

-FAQ: http://www.pulstarplug.com/faq.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start with my review......(COPY AND PASTED FROM THE GB THREAD)

INITIAL INSTALL:

took me 33mins while bullshitting with my homegirl showing her how to remove decals from her car.

PULSTAR provides you with the Dielectric grease to put on the end of the plug, not a big deal. it comes in a cool box holder thingy, lol

anyway, everything went smooth. ran into no problems.

FIRST START:

the car started extra fast. if anyone is familar with the new grand prix's like how fast they start. i mean i was instant. but anyway.......

the idle bounced up and down for about 30-40secs. then finally leveled out. ran the ac and heat so it could learn the fuel trims and such.

FIRST DRIVE:

no sputtering at all on part throttle. seemed very healthy. part throttle accelaration seemed stronger than before and much more responsive. still very good idle. no bouncing after the initial start up.

first try at WOT she did studder at 3300rpms or so for a split second then continued to climb normally. that was in first gear. hasnt happened since. i blame that on trying to get on her too soon before she relearned the new spark nature. so i continued my drive.

WOT in 1st gear from about 2-4mph. the wheels broke loose repeatedly below 3500rpms........that like 1k lower than usual 4500+ when the VVT kicks in. so i know for a fact more TQ is there in the low end.

WOT in 2nd gear pulls harder to. i did a roll from 30mph to the top of 2nd gear..........got there .3 to .4 secs faster. i timed it. may not sound like much but it is

IE- take a 0-60 time of 6 secs flat. that now turns into 5.7-5.8.

WOT from 1st gear to top of 3rd........definately seems to get there faster than befpore...but thats not the biggest thing i noticed. the car sounds totally different in the upper RPMS. before it almost felt like i was hurting the car to go that high. yea it was still strong up top, but now it sound like thats where it belongs, if u get whatt im saying(its hard to explain it).

HIGH GEAR, LOW SPEED(high load):

4th and 5th gear at about 40-50mph used to seem like a struggle. still takes a minute to get going but........the sound changed as well. not sure why. it does pull smoother. probably a lil quicker to get the RPMs up, but i did not clock those runs.

DECELARATION:

quieter while engine braking.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

although a dyno would definatly show more info than needed. i just did want to spend that dough on that. overall i definatly think it improved IDLE QUALITY, ACCELARATION, ACCELARATION SMOOTHNESS, and overall helped slightly in drivability.

from what i feel these plugs added gains similar to putting a CAI on the 6. like if our 6 came with whatever power im putting out currently. and then i added a CAI. thats basically what this feels like. with the added benefits of a smoother idle and overall smoothness in the upper RPMs, as well as a lot of low end torque that wasnt there prior.

PULSTAR PULSE PLUGS: $169 shipped

CAI for the 6(common ones): $250-550

if my butt dyno is calibrated right. i can say that installing these on my car added about the same HP and TQ that a CAI (not the CPE MAFCI) would add. whats that 10hp, 10tq +/-

again i did not dyno. but what i feel and noticed different in my car. makes me beleive my purchase was justified.

*****CURRENTLY I'M OVER 3500 MILES WITH NOT AN ISSUE TO TALK ABOUT, I'LL KEEP THE THREAD UPDATED WITH LONG TERM USAGE UPDATES*****

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bought the plugs as part of the group buy, and currently have ~900 miles on them over 20+ days.

Pros:
1) Idle is very smooth.
2) Startup is faster.
3) No stuttering - (used to stutter at least 1-2x a week when I accelerate semi-hard from ~ 60mph in 6th gear)

Cons:
1) Plugs were not properly gapped for my application from the factory, then, gap specs were decreased ~1wk ago - not too big a deal, but would have been nice to gap it once (still need to regap down to .025")
2) Could not get the plugs to stay in my spark plug socket easily (they kept on falling out - ceramic part is a bit larger than OEM, so the spark plug socket couldn't hold the spark plug correctly)

Unknowns:
1) Mileage improvement? (so far, MPG has decreased over 4 tanks - that may be due to CAI causing me to stomp on it more... but I'm leaning toward putting this in the Cons if it continues over the next couple tanks)
2) More power at lower revs? (I installed CP-e CAI on same day)
3) Long Term Reliability?

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
Cut and paste is easier with changes made for my experiences.

Bought the plugs as part of the group buy, and currently have ~600 miles on them.

Pros:
1) Idle is amazingly smooth and I have the SU rear mount that made my car shake like crazy.
2) Startup is faster.
3) No stuttering (I never had any before, and I did the (updated by me) spring stretch while installing the plugs)
4) Car used to feel like there was slop in the AWD under light Acceleration a bit of lurching for lack of a better term, but it doesn't do it now.
5) Easier take offs. My car used to be a crapshoot between bogging or over-revving on normal take-off, but not anymore.
6) Throttle is more responsive in the normal driving area. I thought it was something to do with the stupid drive-by-wire crap, but changing the plugs helped it.

Cons:
1) Plug grounds straps were off center on 2 and not even near the electrode on 1. 1 was perfect. The 3 straightened up with out problem
2) Plugs were not properly gapped for my application from the factory, but all mine were gapped at .044 as they state they normally deliver them at..
3) Could not get the plugs to come out of my spark plug socket easily (the socket kept staying on the plug and my extension pulling out after plugs were installed. Makes sense because the ceramic part is a bit larger than OEM. Previous posters statement makes no sense to me)
4) MPG is down since the install. Finishing my 2nd full tank since the install and MPG has been lower on those two tanks than all previous fill-ups. Shocking because both tanks should have been non winter gas and MPG should have gone up anyways. Driving on first full tank was normal for me and turned in my lowest MPG to date of 21.02. 2nd tank is looking to finish up about the same, but I did install a new BOV and had some spirited test runs in there so could be better in theory.

Unknowns:
1) Long Term Reliability - This seems to be the big question now since we had some initial quality problems with some plugs. If I take a long trip, I will carry my stock plugs with me for a quick change out if issues happen. Not worried about it around town.
2) Long Term MPG - Maybe it will go back up after a few more tanks. I was hoping for a MPG improvement with them because the Speed6 seems to get bad MPG compared to other Turbo AWD cars I've had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only have a 2 miles on the plugs but I'm doing a lot of driving this weekend so I'll get a better idea of how they are.

Pros So Far: Smoother Idle and faster startup.

Cons: 1- Plugs were not properly gapped (.054-.075) not a big deal.
2-Ground straps were off center and had to be fixed.
3- Could not get the plugs to stay in my spark plug socket easily (they kept on falling out - ceramic part is a bit larger than NGK) thus had to really push spark boot on.

These plugs were dyno'd on another Spec-V with CAI, Header, Exhaust (Nissan 2.5L) and showed a 6 HP & 6 TQ increase over NGK Iridiums with 20k miles on them. The HP increase was from 2000rpm-6200rpm but mostly 3600rpm and above Link Here
I think these numbers are good and it shows they really do work.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FROM MEMBER:

TOMMYBOY44 - First off thanks for the GB New york, second off i just put my plugs in around noon. My old plugs looked okay not too bad for 40k and spirted driving. But just wanted everyone to know my views on them. Like they all said idle is amazing, you dont even know the car is on. i didnt feel any improvement in acceleration but it was very smooth, and a rolling start like at 30+ is very smoothing and take off and reaction is quick. The slowing down part is great too. my exhaust doesnt gurgul anymore. oh and my car is a 6i mtx any questions are welcome

CASE - I also just put my pulse plugs in/did the EGR optimization this afternoon, and my thoughts are the same. I did'nt really notice a power increase, but the car just feels sooo much smoother! And acceleration is definitely a little quicker, smoother, faster than it used to. The car just feels more at peace with itself, and it took care of alot of the sputtering that used to get a little annoying while cruising around town. Overall I am very happy with the plugs, and feel they were more than worth the amount of money paid.

MACS&MAZDAS - Well, I have to say I am having better luck then MazdaRacer. I just finished my plug install on my 6s. Besides the fact that it was a real b*tch to get around the ait intake, everything went smoothly. And the performance boost is very noticable. Thanks again TGNY for a great GB. I will let you guys know more info after I drive to work tomorrow.

MAZDA6007 - 2 thumbs up for these plugs.Idle is soomther,acceleration is also ,throddle response is better,and a slight kick in the pants is also felt.Although they are a bit pricey , I'd say they are worth the $$$

RADNEO - Plugs are in. I have only one word on improvement .... AWESOME!!!!! Idle is AWESOME! shift is smoooooth, AWESOME!. Power maybe couple horses (didn't dyno).
Love this plugs

JSMAZDA6 - Installed mine yesterday and it is running like a champ. Got my EGR mod done at the same time. Make sure you guys double check the gapping cause not all mine was at the correct gapping out of the box.

Man, so much smoother at the idle

LPONY500 - I recieved my plugs pretty quick. All the plugs were in good shape. I had to change the gap on three of them I think but otherwise, OK. I have had the plugs in for about two days and no problem at all. NO CELs. I think I have a better acceleration and smoother shift (I have an automatic). Good startup and smooth idle. Not sure about the gas mileage, I'm still on the first tank since I installed the plugs

CARCLUB6 - I just got home from installing my plugs, I have about 20 miles on them at the time of this post. I must say as with what almost everyone else has stated is true, car idles better, sounds calmer, I can tell a difference in acceleration as well car does pick up a little smoother. Also this may just be coincidental but I have an atx and from 2nd -3rd it would have shift shock dealer cant seem to fix it. thats it just 2-3 and now after plugs and the EGR mod it shifts smoother..could just be my imagination though...time will tell running out of warranty 3k left. So far GREAT PLUGS

KCJ3495 - I have to agree with CarClub6, I drove about 40 miles and the car definantly picks up faster. No more bogged down throttle lag. Well at least not as much. My Six just reached 80K and so far the car feels like it did when I first got it. I just filled up and have to drive to Bluefield WVa in the morning. I usually get about 470 miles to a full tank of 87. Highway driving of course, well see if what kind of MPG's I get on the first fill up. The 2nd -3rd shift is much more smooth, and seems to accelerate a little fast

FICHSTIX - Installed the plugs on a 1999 Saab 9-5 turbo V6 ATX with Sport boost and 109,000 miles. Night and day, much smoother idle and the car had a lot more I want to go. Acceleration was quicker getting on the freeway didn't have to use the boost because the power was already there.

P.S. They were installed on someones car who knew nothing about pulstar or read the reviews on the performance. He's still very impressed with the plugs

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wanted to give an update on my experience with my plugs. After 500+ Miles, still great. I have not seen any improvement in fuel economy but I drive hard so I really wasn't expecting much.

Pros:
1) Idle is very smooth.
2) Startup is faster.
3) Noticeable Performance Boost.

Cons:
1) NONE

Unknowns:
1) Mileage improvement?
2) Long Term Reliability?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just finished installing the plugs, and the install went pretty smooth. I did have the 'socket falls off ratchet' issue too as the ceramic piece pushed up through the socket hole. After installing each plug I had to fish out the socket with fondue sticks. :laugh:

I have an 05 6i with 71,000 miles on it and the plugs were the OEM factory plugs. I purchased these in the group buy, and I have... 2 miles on them. :D

Pros:
1) Idle is crazy smooth, I can barely hear the engine at idle now... almost hard to tell if she's running. :)
2) Startup is very quick, although I didn't have an issue with this on my OEM plugs, but startup is faster. Edit: After a few days, startup has actually returned to normal, which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't 'instant' like it was on the first few startups.

Cons:
1) Did not arrive with factory specified .044" gap, they were in the .030's, and were not consistent. I re-gapped them to .044". Edit: PulStar has actually updated the specs and specified that the gap should not exceed .040", citing best performance at .040", so I'll be re-gapping them this weekend. So with this new information, they probably arrived from the factory closer to .040".
2) I also had the issue with the plug being so tall that it pushed out the ratchet extension during install, and I had to fish out the socket each time.

Unknowns:
1) MPG - This will be interesting. I have the 2.3L I4 Auto, I mainly do freeway driving at 80 mph, and I consistently average 27-28 MPG. We'll see how well that holds up with the new plugs.
2) Long Term Reliability - I think everybody is in the same boat on this one. Time will tell.
3) Performance - I literally just finished and took 'er around the block once, so I haven't had a chance to truly evaluate performance, but she did feel more responsive on that initial drive. I also need to give the ECU time to re-program itself. Edit: I have started to open 'er up a little bit, and she is definitely fast, but I had never really been aggressive before so I don't have much to compare to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed them today and put about 35 miles on them. Install was pretty easy although the boots were a lot harder to put back on and took a bit of elbow grease to get them back on. This is on a '07 6i with 16,000 miles on the odo. The OEM plugs still looked pretty new.

None of the plugs that I got were at factory gap; all 4 of mine were in the 0.05+ area. When I first tried to install them, I pulled an unlucky weak plug that snapped off at the ceramic base towards the thread of the plug when I had the plug seated in the socket while placing ant seize on the thread. TGNY kindly had me shipped a replacement and this one was also gapped above 0.05. Pulled the negative off the battery while I did the install, took maybe 15-20 minutes total.

First start was exactly the same as with the OEM plugs. I couldn't tell a difference with startup time whatsoever. It wasn't instant like how others have described but it took maybe a second before it started which is exactly the same as the OEM plugs.

Idle was a bit smoother. Radio off, windows down, and hood up, the car was a tad quieter. There was less of the rumbling and more of that whining I guess is how I would describe it. Once everything was up to temp it seemed to settle nicely. Even though with the OEM plugs things were already good this was just another step up I would say.

I couldn't tell a difference in pull whatsoever but it revved and accelerated like butter. There is a subtle change in the sound of the car I can’t really describe it but before it was more of a rapid thumping? Now it's I would say a quicker thumping? It's just smoother.

Overall I didn't see the same difference as others have seen once they had these changed but there is an improvement. The changes are subtle but it was a bit smoother in all aspects. Aside from the quality issues they may have right out of the box I felt it was a good buy! I'll add on this as I get a few more tanks on them..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just installed and taken for test drive.... i would say around a 5hp butt dyno increase but acceleration was much smoother, overall it was worth the money

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I re-gapped to .040 but i had problems, the spark boots were super stuck on. It took me an hour just to gap because I had such a hard time getting the boots off despite putting plenty of the grease that was included when I installed them. This was very strange because they didn't stick at all to my NGKs even after being on for 3 years and these were only on 2 weeks. This must be due to the size difference and maybe the plug is getting hotter than normal plugs. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I re-gapped to .040 but i had problems, the spark boots were super stuck on. It took me an hour just to gap because I had such a hard time getting the boots off despite putting plenty of the grease that was included when I installed them. This was very strange because they didn't stick at all to my NGKs even after being on for 3 years and these were only on 2 weeks. This must be due to the size difference and maybe the plug is getting hotter than normal plugs. Anyone else with this problem?[/b]

well i think the boot part would be because the terminals are significantly larger than oem

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had them installed by a dealer as part of the 30K service and also installed the MS CAI at the same time so idle is smoother but slightly louder (due to intake). I just came back from a trip to Virginia Tech and had no issues except NA cars suck at altitude :-(. The car definitely has more oomph at lower revs but this could be due to the intake. I track mileage and fill ups so I'll be able to calculate a before/after MPG comparison in another tank or so (few weeks). Car is definitely less peaky when accelerating and the smoothness feels nice. Thumbs up from me and I'll be posting later with MPG results.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
if anyone in socal wants to see if they do anything, i'll do a dyno before and after if they wanna bring over the plugs. i'm a pretty big skeptic, so i usually need to see things for myself. i'm looking to dyno the new mx-5 anyhow, so a comparison would be an easy one to do. not sure if any came out this way or not though?

i guess the main thing is that it seems everyone so far is happy with them, as long as people are happy there are no worries.

·
Registered
383 Posts
They only thing I've noticed with these plugs is a little more acceleration in 3rd gear, and a slight decrease in gas mileage.
All plugs were gapped properly.
It does idle smoother, but that's not why I bought them haha :p

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Just finished my second tank of gas after installing these and my mileage is up about 1-1.5 mpg overall. Idle is much smoother, low end is improved, overall better throttle response. They went in at .044 and haven't had time to dig them out again and change it. But everything is running fine and my results are good. Tracking mileage into infinty, so if it gets better I'll post it. Also installing MS CAI next weekend, and I'll see how that all works out. Looking forward to it. :yesnod:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just installed them on today. First noticeable difference was that the idle was definitely a lot smoother. It was a strange coincidence that 4 of the 6 plugs were already gap at .40 when they were suppose to be shipped at .44. I didn't really open it up on the road yet due to rain. We'll see whats happens after on a good day. So far so good.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just got done tuning the car at my carbconn and I got some interesting news.

So my last tune was with everything the same except no cats and ngk ir plugs.

Today, I had one hi flow cat and Pulse Stars.

I put in the plugs and the car felt really smooth compared to the hi flow cat and ngk ir plugs. Now, I cant say this was a apples to apples comparison because of the cat difference.

I lost 1-2 hp over the entire range of the dyno pull and I was not able to gain anything with attempting to change the air, fuel, or timing. Remember though I have a hi flow cat on vs. no cat on my last pull.

Overall, I dont know if I gained anything, but I am going to order another set the top of the line NGK's and compare the results vs new Pulse Stars.

BTW.... The gap was set at .40 for the pulsestars.

I will test again next week and see but this was a long and spendy tuning session. We tried everything. :yesnod:

All for the club!
Matt

1 - 20 of 105 Posts