Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, so hi. In my teen years, my mom had a 1986 626GT - the only reason was she liked the 626, wanted it black, and with a sunroof. Only way to get that was to grab the GT with the turbo motor. That car was a fantastic sedan - quick, reliable, comfortable. I find myself now looking at current 6's - 2018-2021. I definitely want the turbo, so Grand Touring or above. There are a few 18's and 19's GT Reserves, and a very few (3-4) 2021's, all Grand Touring. I really love the leather and memory seats (GTR), like the HUD, heated steering wheel, and ventilated seats. Numbers are crazy - 2018's GTR's running around 28K with 30K miles. The new GT (not reserve) is 31K.

What would you do? Am I being silly liking the GTR's extra features or should I go with the new GT without those features?

What should I be looking out for in any used 6 GTR exploration?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Trying to get a decent response - I wouldn't normally post twice, but this forum is very slow compared to the 4Runner and Outback forums I'm on. But thanks for the informative response - great stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just joined, and made a reasonable double post. Your response of "Ok, why did you make two identical posts? " tells me lots about you. Perhaps a more appropriate response would be an actual answer, and then advice about double posting, but, well., you're one of those people. Hoping this forum is more useful.

Back atcha. Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome to the forum 626GT! We'll try to help you out with this.

Talon, you are often kind of a jerk. Please dial it down - this should be a welcoming community.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
New to the forum, so hi. In my teen years, my mom had a 1986 626GT - the only reason was she liked the 626, wanted it black, and with a sunroof. Only way to get that was to grab the GT with the turbo motor. That car was a fantastic sedan - quick, reliable, comfortable. I find myself now looking at current 6's - 2018-2021. I definitely want the turbo, so Grand Touring or above. There are a few 18's and 19's GT Reserves, and a very few (3-4) 2021's, all Grand Touring. I really love the leather and memory seats (GTR), like the HUD, heated steering wheel, and ventilated seats. Numbers are crazy - 2018's GTR's running around 28K with 30K miles. The new GT (not reserve) is 31K.

What would you do? Am I being silly liking the GTR's extra features or should I go with the new GT without those features?

What should I be looking out for in any used 6 GTR exploration?

Thanks in advance!
Hello. I am not sure what kind of "traffic" you are accustomed to but from my experience this is the highest trafficked Mazda 6 forum on the internet, hands down. Perhaps we don't break quite as much as those pesky 4Runners. :sneaky:

Anyhow, it's going to be your car so I say buy what you want, (and can afford).

With any vehicle that new, I would look at maintenance and remaining warranty. I would also look to the driver and assess (or at least try to) how the car has been cared for. Is it owned by an 18 year old? Are the wheels shredded from curbs (careless driver not caring about the machine much) etc.

On the double post to try and grab more interest, I am generally against it. I have never received a positive response from any forum I was participating in, by cluttering up their domain with redundancy. Patience usually is the most prudent course... but then again you are looking for a turbo... J/K.🤪

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not so much comparing this forum to other Mazda forums - it does seem to be the most highly trafficked. There are just more 4Runners and Outbacks on the road than there are Mazdas, reflected in forum activity, and that's not a bad thing at all. And my 4Runner is at 365K still running strong, but that's another story.

I can afford either - just looking for insight into whether it is worth the extra spend for the new GT with fewer options than a used GT Reserve. Memory seats and real leather are driving me to the GTR used at 30K miles, and the new car aspect is what's driving me to the GT. Lucky that this is my current conundrum versus so many other things people have to deal with. Can't find a new GTR anywhere near where we live.

Good point on the warranty - the used ones I have are Mazda certified and still have remaining factory 3/36 - but just barely for the 18's.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
@Mz6GreyGhost has the latest model and I think he also had the model that you are also looking at, so he might give a good comparison between models.

As mentioned above, I'll get the highest trim I can afford. Please be aware that the i-Eloop is an expensive item. I've heard that the capacitor costs about $2800 from the stealership. I'm so glad I don't have i-Eloop but i-Stop. Well, I also don't like i-Stop. The battery is very expensive.

I think you know more about cars than me, so I don't have to tell you how to take care of the T/C.

I am suspecting that the car you're about to get is equipped with electronic parking brake. If by the time comes you need to change the pads, there's a procedure on how to enter maintenance mode as to retract the rear pistons.

See the signature of @Byakuya, you'll surely find something interesting about the '6' and other things you need to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Mz6GreyGhost

"Please be aware that the i-Eloop is an expensive item. I've heard that the capacitor costs about $2800 from the stealership. I'm so glad I don't have i-Eloop but i-Stop. Well, I also don't like i-Stop. The battery is very expensive."

First I've heard ot the i-Eloop - looks like interesting technology, but I imagine it is pretty complex to repair/replace.

When googling i-Eloop, I got directed to the UK Mazda site, and saw a picture of a 6 Wagon - WOW what an awesome car, and I can't fathom why we don't have it in the U.S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car a long time, it sounds like you should get a reserve or signature model. In my experience, a dealership would be able to find one for you, let them do the leg work. If you do buy new, the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) has a deal with Mazda where you can buy a car at employee pricing.
I bought a GT mostly because I found the HUD to be more annoying than helpful. The heated steering wheel would be nice though, the air speed through the dash vents is a little disappointing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you plan on keeping the car a long time, it sounds like you should get a reserve or signature model. In my experience, a dealership would be able to find one for you, let them do the leg work. If you do buy new, the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) has a deal with Mazda where you can buy a car at employee pricing.
I bought a GT mostly because I found the HUD to be more annoying than helpful. The heated steering wheel would be nice though, the air speed through the dash vents is a little disappointing.
I'd love to know more about that SCCA deal - anywhere I can find out the details? And thanks for your advice - it all makes sense, and I keep finding snippets of complaints on the HVAC - not a dealbreaker, but good to know.

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
642 Posts
Welcome along!

If you can afford it go with ALL of the features. You'll only end up retrofitting the bastards afterwards when you want them...

I wouldn't normally post twice, but this forum is very slow compared to the 4Runner and Outback forums I'm on.
We're all a bit slow on here. Especially @Archerfish He's sofa king slow..... ;):whistle::ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts