Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta break my new fuel pump in (got it yesterday, smells delicious) on Thrus/Fri. I want to use my DH to monitor fuel pressure (and set alerts), but the problem is fuel pressure is a lot lower at idle (obviously). So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to set alerts, and the only thing I can come up with is setting the 3 alerts on top of one another at the lowest PSI... idle. I guess I could deal with the alerts/alarm under 2,000-2,500 rpms since fuel pressure isn't a big deal there.

The problem is, I don't know what PSI this pump holds at idle, and at low rpms. My stock pump idles around 400 - 500ish PSI. Can you tell me what PSI the PTP internals/Hitachi pump holds at idle? I'm hoping it's more. It's going to be annoying one way or the other, but if you know the idle PSI or other suggetions I would apprecite it. I plan on driving around aimlessly to get the thing broken in asap.

PTP's site say they have "charts showing 1,600 PSI as low as 1,800rpms" ... So, I could set the alarm to 1,200 PSI and deal with the alerts at idle/low rpms, but I don't know if it holds that much pressure before it's broken in. Also, I don't know how quickly the DH exits alerts when fuel pressure bumps back over 1,200 PSI. How quickly does the DH exit the alarm/beeping when the "sitution is corrected" ??

Thanks!!!!

PS. I'm making a stink out this bc I want to break it in correctly the first time... as to avoid another 100 useless mile drive if it doesn't break in right. I know to stay out of boost, so I'm gonna lower my Boost PSI alerts to go off at 2 or 3 PSI.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i think the biggest problem with these is that the tolerances are so tight that they tend to stick. the reason he wants u to rev so high is so that the pump will experience maximum friction and hopefully the clearances will lessen upon first use. my suggestion would be to just rev the shit out of your motor wherever u go. just spend alot more time at high rpm's during ur daily commute. u dont necessarily need to be in boost but try not to shift to the next gear before say 4500 rpm.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go out into the country and drive it like a Civic owner in a parking lot. Stay out of boost and slowly go up to 3000rpms, 4000rpms, 5000rpms, and repeat.
i think the biggest problem with these is that the tolerances are so tight that they tend to stick. the reason he wants u to rev so high is so that the pump will experience maximum friction and hopefully the clearances will lessen upon first use. my suggestion would be to just rev the shit out of your motor wherever u go. just spend alot more time at high rpm's during ur daily commute. u dont necessarily need to be in boost but try not to shift to the next gear before say 4500 rpm.
Thanks guys. Yeah, the direction are: idle for 20 mins, then drive 100 miles varying rpms from 1500-5000rpms with minimal boost.

BTW Is there another "how to" hpfp install kicking around with pics? I saw the one in the FAQ's, but was wondering if there's one with pics. My mechanic wanted some instructions to refer to, but PTP didn't send any.

THX!!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
lol i have swapped pumps between cars in 25 mins. ill email u some.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many fuel pumps do you know that run 2000psi? let alone, a cam driven fuel pump.
2000psi....? Hardly. The injectors couldnt handle that much pressure. Or did you mean 200? And are you saying that the Speed6's dont have an electric fuel pump?
The STOCK pump can hold 1,400-1,700 PSI, and I've logged mine repeatedly holding 1,500 - 1,600 PSI. However, mine is trailing off to ~1,100 PSI at redline, which is too low for running a stage 2 tune. You also have a DISI engine with a cdfp that holds the same pressure. Buy an AP or a DH and see for yourself. If you think 2,000 is a lot, check out the stage 2 version that holds 2,200:

PT-Performance.com

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
2000psi....? Hardly. The injectors couldnt handle that much pressure. Or did you mean 200? And are you saying that the Speed6's dont have an electric fuel pump?
lol keep to your own section n00b haha

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

the cam driven fuel pump pushes in excess of 1.7 thousand psi to the injectors

there is a dump/diverter valve that has a high duty cycle at low rpm to keep fuel rail pressure low ~4 hundred psi @ idle.

there is an electric pump in the fuel tank that supplies ~50-60 psi of fuel pressure to the cam driven fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I saw about 400-500 on idle with both the stock and upgraded pump. Only difference is it builds pressure faster than stock and holds it at a higher psi obviously. I usually hold 1800-2000 all the way to redline.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
the cam driven fuel pump pushes in excess of 1.7 thousand psi to the injectors

there is a dump/diverter valve that has a high duty cycle at low rpm to keep fuel rail pressure low ~4 hundred psi @ idle.

there is an electric pump in the fuel tank that supplies ~50-60 psi of fuel pressure to the cam driven fuel pump.
Thanks, much more informative.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bite me. I dont have a DISI, so i didnt know how much different from every other EFI system it was.
Do you realize that you're talking shit to the one of the nicest guys I've met, whose been on this forum for a long time, with a lot of friends, and contributed a ton, and who happens to have the fastest MS6 on the planet? He ran a 12.6 @ 111mph. Did you miss that thread?

No excuse to tell you to go to the noob section though, right? He said that because you didn't know what you were talking about chiming in when we did know what were talking about. Don't get all bent out of shape about it...he was just busting your chops for saying noob things in a non-noob thread. That is all.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Do you realize that you're talking shit to the one of the nicest guys I've met, whose been on this forum for a long time, with a lot of friends, and contributed a ton, and who happens to have the fastest MS6 on the planet? He ran a 12.6 @ 111mph. Did you miss that thread?

No excuse to tell you to go to the noob section though, right? He said that because you didn't know what you were talking about chiming in when we did know what were talking about. Don't get all bent out of shape about it...he was just busting your chops for saying noob things in a non-noob thread. That is all.
It was more of a question than a flame. Im not some 16yo brat thats never been around cars, and to hear of a 2000psi fuel pressure rating, seemed more than likely a typo. Considering that carb'd cars have about 9psi max, and running anything over 75psi on even a race car (turbo'd) was fairly unheard of. I ran 55psi base pressure in my Talon and got crap for it.

I thought i was pretty nice about it myself. Noob, no. Do i know everything? No again. Warrant the reaction like that? Still no. At least Triplejumper18 tried to explain it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
EDIT: nevermind

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw about 400-500 on idle with both the stock and upgraded pump. Only difference is it builds pressure faster than stock and holds it at a higher psi obviously. I usually hold 1800-2000 all the way to redline.
Qwik, don't you have the stage 2 PTP internals? I'm kinda sorta regretting not going stage 2 in case I go BT down the road, but I need the DH desperately, and the stage 1 should (it better) meet my fueling needs even with an fmic and possible dp down the road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts