Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I had the fuel rail/fuel line flushed the other day, I also had the PTP im spacer installed, and did the coolant bypass at the urging of superskates. Wow, what a huge different in BATs! When I had the stock ic, my BATs cooked up to 160F cutting through the city to see my mechanic. That was early spring, and ambient was around 70. With the fmic, it made a noticeable drop in BATs, but I expected them to drop even more.

Well, after the PTP spacer + coolant bypass (along w/ my fmic), I drove the car home, taking the same route as when I was pushing 160F with the stock set up. I couldn't believe the drop in BATs... the highest they got was like 122F with city driving, and ambient was like 80F. I highly recommend doing this. When you add your OCC, take off the mani and clean it with 3 or 4 cans of brake cleaner, and replace the metal gasket with the PTP spacer... it's only $40 and comes with two caps for the coolant bypass. Some are concerned about the impact of doing the coolant bypass in the winter, but it takes 2 seconds to reverse it. You don't have to cut the coolant lines to put them together... you just remove them and one goes right to the "T" on the other coolant line. So, if you have any issues, you can just hook it back up the way it was "stock" in no time.

Just wanted to give a mini-review on it, and suffice to say I was pleasantly surprised with the results! Oh, and no more heat soak!!

EDIT: IIRC, there are 10 bolts that attach the intake mani. When you install the PTP spacer, ONLY the 5 bolts going to the head are put back in. This is because the PTP spacer is about 1/8" thick, and putting any of the bottom bolts in will distort it and cause leaks (thanks Carlson + Superskates!).

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I ordered one for my "new" BNR setup. Oh, and I've ordered the MAPerformance ported IM as well. See it here: MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold (Mazdaspeed3) - Modern Automotive Performance
That new intake mani is badass. You should do write up on it once you get her installed for sure. AND you've got mail btw... found a good diagram of the entire fuel system, including the tank pump, and current flow from that other site I joined last night.

On topic... good move on the im spacer + bypass. You def won't have to worry about it down south there. I'm not sure what to expect when it's 15 degrees here in January! BATs of -10F? lol

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Now if he only had an entire new fuel system from tank to hpfp, including all the relays and wires, ole Doogie would be all set! I may figure this shit out quicker if I just drive down to VA for a week, lol

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
......get that shit on!!!! i know you have like 5 DD's so u have no excuses!!!!
I'm on it now! It'll be a few eeks till done, but the car is up on jacks in garage!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
^Now if he only had an entire new fuel system from tank to hpfp, including all the relays and wires, ole Doogie would be all set! I may figure this shit out quicker if I just drive down to VA for a week, lol
^ likes this

I'm on it now! It'll be a few eeks till done, but the car is up on jacks in garage!
damm straight!!! how far r u from DC?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm about 3 to 8 hours away, depending on traffic!

·
Registered
884 Posts
3-8? wtf is that all about?

Thanks doug for the heads up on the spacer...I'm gonna have to do that when I get the car back. I got loads of shit to do now that I got a garage and I'll at this to my list. OCC will be on there as well.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Reactions: speedtown

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
THAT INTAKE MANIFOLD IS SO SEXY, i am ready to write a check with my signature on it. any number that that company writes down is fine with me.

lol but on a serious note i really like it and i will do that with the steedspeed manifold next summer. probably powercoat the valve cover at that time as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Total newb question here... I went to PT-performance's website and found this spacer. What exactly are the benefits of this? They claim ~15% drop in BAT's, but is that with an otherwise stock setup? I am stock with the exception of a Cobb SRI. Seems like $40 to drop 15% in temps is a pretty good deal. Is this something I can install in my driveway with the hand tools I have, or do I need to have a pro do it? I would say I'm above average with my wrenching abilities... :)

I guess what I'm looking for is a good explanation of what exactly this does... more volume in the intake runners? Synthetic material avoids heatsoak? Sorry for all the questions... just wanna learn from you gurus!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3-8? wtf is that all about?

Thanks doug for the heads up on the spacer...I'm gonna have to do that when I get the car back. I got loads of shit to do now that I got a garage and I'll at this to my list. OCC will be on there as well.
Anytime Arron. I hope ole Cliffy finds time to fix your transmission between taking pot shots at tin cans off a fence, lol. Seriously though, keep me posted as to what's going on with your ride, and how things progress. Sweet that you have a garage! My own garage would definitely save me some money :rolleyes:. Hopefully I'll be back on the road soon. Fingers crossed that a bunch of parts get to me by Friday... have plans w/ my bro this weekend, and need to be mobile!!! Yeah, do the PTP spacer and coolant bypass for sure when you do the OCC.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Does this mod only apply to an FMIC setup? How hard is it to do? I'd definitely love to do the spacer with the bypass thingy to drop my BATs. I be putting around town with my BATs at an inferno of 175 sometimes. My SU TMIC is on it's way soon so that will help me a bit.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. What exactly are the benefits of this? They claim ~15% drop in BAT's, but is that with an otherwise stock setup? Is this something I can install in my driveway with the hand tools I have, or do I need to have a pro do it? I would say I'm above average with my wrenching abilities... :)

Synthetic material avoids heatsoak?
This and reduces heat transfer. The coolant bypass removes the coolant that is currently flowing around your throttle body (and thus heating it up). It's for the winter time, but it's largely unnecessary afaik. Besides, you can swap the coolant lines back in like I said in the OP. Benefits are cool BATs and minimal heatsoak. This results in a cooler intake charge, which reduces the chances of KR, and makes a bit more power. I have not idea what you can install. There's a couple "how to's" on removing the intake mani... search those and see what you think. I had a buddy help me the first time.

Does this mod only apply to an FMIC setup? How hard is it to do? I'd definitely love to do the spacer with the bypass thingy to drop my BATs. I be putting around town with my BATs at an inferno of 175 sometimes. My SU TMIC is on it's way soon so that will help me a bit.
Again, you gotta remove your intake manifold... but you should clean it anyways and do an OCC install. Def do the OCC and this at the same time... mani needs to be off if you want to clean it, and OCC is easier to install with the mani off. You can do this on any set up (stock, tmic, etc..)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You can do it yourself, no problem. The spacer is simply an insulator between the manifold and the head to help block the conductive heat transfer from the cyl head to the manifold.

The throttle body has coolant routed through it to heat it up for aid in frigid weather running and prevent throttle plate icing. The coolant bypass simply blocks off this hot coolant flow, again to prevent the heat buildup from hot coolant.

These steps are pretty basic, low-cost mods that will help with heat induced power losses. They don't "make" power, just reduce the parasitic loss...

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks fellas. I'm going to use our awesome forum search engine to look for a how-to on these things. I'm looking to do as many things as possible to my car while I'm at the base's auto hobby shop. These small-fix trips are killing my time and money so now I can have more to do on one visit. This would also be a good time to do the OCC mod, right? Forzman, I forgot exactly where you mounted your can, but remember it was in a good spot. Sweet now I have some uber-modding to do.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas. I'm going to use our awesome forum search engine to look for a how-to on these things. I'm looking to do as many things as possible to my car while I'm at the base's auto hobby shop. These small-fix trips are killing my time and money so now I can have more to do on one visit. This would also be a good time to do the OCC mod, right? Forzman, I forgot exactly where you mounted your can, but remember it was in a good spot. Sweet now I have some uber-modding to do.
Block8head, Superskaterxes, and someone else have done a "how to," but skates was too lazy to take pics, lol. In Ben's thread there is a link to another 'How to' thread on 6crew with a lot of pics. Between those, you should be good. Definitely want to do the OCC at the same time. Matt Damond (you know him.. on msf a lot) sells "kits" that include the SM OCC, hoses, clamps & instructions on how/where to mount. The hoses are pre-cut to the 'right' length for one of two locations depending on if you have a CAI or something. Plan your location well, so if you get a fmic it won't be in the way. PM him on msf if interested, because he's not on here as much. Also, his instructs are for when the intake manifold is STILL installed. It's easier with it off, but just be aware that the instructs differ if you buy the kit from him.

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
fresh, I thought you also were doing the EGR delete, did that get done? That would help reduce BAT's as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts