Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a Protege5 since the Mazda6 is out of my price league. So anyone ever test drive one or even own one? Do you like it or hate it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Protege5 anyone drive one?'

I dont own one but test drove one. the interior is kinda bland though. You should wait for the new mazda3.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading Topic: Protege5 anyone drive one?

Venture over to http://www.miataforum.com Several of the Miata owners over there have P5's, and nearly all of them seem to really like them.

If you need a car now, it is a solid choice. Fun to drive, reliable, and better looking with more utility than the Protege sedan. However, 130hp is adequate, but the car is not very fast. "Peppy" would be a good description. Wind noise from roof rails has gotten some minor complaints.

If you don't need a car now, maybe wait for the Mazda3.... but check out the P5, I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

We were looking at a P5 before we saw/drove the 6. Quite a few Miata owners have a P5 as their OTM (Other Than Miata). People seem to really like the feel of the car. Very Miata like.

The 0% for 36 months doesn't hurt either. Some dealers still have a few left over 2002s which could be a really good deal.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I test drove one and overall, it gets a plus.

Ups:
Comfortable
great feel
handles extremely well, especially given its FWD and size
automatic (if that's what you are looking for) is very smooth

Downs:
loud, buzzy engine
if you are one of those hp freaks, you won't find satisfaction here
interior / dash could use improvement

This car rates very high in drivability. If that's what you're after, I don't think there's a better choice in this range.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Originally posted by Omega

When does the M3 come out???[/b]

Oh man I can see it now...

"Dewd I got an M3"
"Whoah! How'd you afford that"
"What do you mean? It was only $17k"
"Ohhh...the *Mazda* 3"

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah I really like the M3. But when will it reach Canada?

·
Registered
305 Posts

Friend of mine has a Protege5 and let me drive it the day after he brought it home. (And the silly guy refused a reciprocal drive of my 6!) I was very, very impressed with the handling. It felt just like my Miata did.

Only complaint is it's a little light on the power, but that's not an issue with the stick shift. Wouldn't get a Protege with an automatic, though.

If you're not in a hurry, though, I'd wait for the Mazda 3. If it's half the improvement over the already impressive Protege5 as the 6 is over the wasn't-impressive 626, it'll be an amazing little car.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Stew560 : If it looks like the Sportif (probaly not, but you can dream uh? :D) and performs as it looks I'd bee proud of the Mazda :D Tell those nazicar drivers to shove it :D

·
Registered
71 Posts

My Protege5 just reached 30,000 miles yesterday, no major complaints so far. Like Applejax said, engine is a bit loud and could use an extra 20HP, but very comfortable and handles almost like a Miata. I really think there's not that many car out there (non-sports car) that handles quite like the Protege5, I'm very very happy with it. BTW, I have to disagre about the interior though, I do think that it's one of the nicest looking one plus the orange/red intrumentation almost makes it feels like you're in a BMW :D . Plus, this car would allow you to haul stuff that normally would not fit in a sedan. Yes it's not that big of a trunk, but I once haul a sofabed from my house to my inlaws with the hatch door close.
Like it or hate it?, definitely like it, but that's because both me and my wife love to drives fast and love to take corners a little bit faster than normal ppl would :D .
You can get a P5 for about $16K plus T&L, I bet you can get a 6 for about $19 plus T&L, so not that much of a difference there, think about it.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Great Little Car !!

I had one like this except No Body Kits, or the Big Wheels, same colour though!

And In Australia choice of 1.8 litre or 2.0 litre and Called Mazda 323 Astina, whereas Protege refers to the Sedan over here...

·
Registered
231 Posts

They're a great little car that are very roomy and drive fantastic. I still own one.

Only 1 gripe and that is road noise. The tire and wind noise is very loud.

50000km and not 1 problem.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Mazda USA is running special financing on the Protege5, don't know about MazdaCanada - might want to look into it.

Your taillights are different than ours. The tails look like a Honda:

·
Registered
205 Posts

Mazda Canada currently has 0% financing on all 2003 Mazda's (except for the Mazdaspeed). Mazda6's are '04 models here and have 4.9% financing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Protege5 anyone drive one?

Test drove the Protege sedan, loved it. Would own one if I didn't buy a '6. I instead convinced a close friend to buy one so I could still drive a Protege when I wanted.

P5's are kinda pricey though- they're around $15k, and my '6 cost me in the mid 17's. Sure you don't want to make the jump?

Dunno about the P5, but the sedan has absolutely outstanding visibility, and is just as much fun to drive as the '6.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Altersys

I own one.. it's my wife's.... what specific questions do you have?

-Alt[/b]
Do you own it or is it your wife's? Or perhaps you own it and your wife owns you...? :sarc

·
Registered
127 Posts

I trade in my Protege5 to Mazda 6.

P5 is pretty good in concering but no power.

I give 85% to P5

1 - 20 of 24 Posts