Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after over 300 miles put onto my engine after gettin the front mount put on here is my review. The very first thing I noticed when taking the car out for the first time is how much faster the turbo was spooling WOW and it would actually pull all the way to redline. What I was also initially inpressed with is the fast that less piping was used to optimized air flow from the turbo to the IC and back to the mani. Another thing I noticed is at strat-up there is no stuttering or puttering it starts up just like stock. When cruising around town I noticed that I could actually hear the turbo now and did it sound good, you can hear that air rushing threw the pipes and even though the BOV is set to recirc the sound of that Greddy RS BOV is absolutely amazing. After long drives and beating on it a little I open the the engine bay and test the pipes by placing my hands on them to feel how hot and cool they are, the pipe running from the turbo is as expected warm. but wow the pipe coming back from the IC is cold to the touch its great, I think the design of this IC works great for air flow, I have not noticed any lack of air flow. The SRI definately gives a throaty sound to that engine and IMO is the best thing for this set-up. Im excited to get this on dyno and see what it puts up for numbers, you can definately feel the increase in power when you drive it. One of the best things about this kit is its a complete bolt on, not cutting required, no re-using of any stock parts which means if you need to revert back to stock for any warranty work or for any other reason it could be done in an afternoon. Finally here are some pictures I took yesterday:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Looks real good, very clean ^_^!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Where in MN are you? Looking at the snow on the ground, I'm guessing you are south of the metro? Do you have any exhaust mods? It also looks like your license plate is not interfering w/ air getting to the intercooler...which was a concern of mine. Looks good and glad you are seeing positive results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in MN are you? Looking at the snow on the ground, I'm guessing you are south of the metro? Do you have any exhaust mods? It also looks like your license plate is not interfering w/ air getting to the intercooler...which was a concern of mine. Looks good and glad you are seeing positive results.
[/b]
Im in Northfield, we just get killed with the crappy weather down here, I dont know if you remeber that bad hail storm we had earlier this year but I had 2 cars totalled in that storm, I dont have any exhaust mods yet, that will be my next venture, nope the license plate doesnt interfere at all with the flow.

·
Registered
364 Posts
interesting, looks very clean

how was the install?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Turbo spooling FASTER with a FMIC? :goon: That doesn't make sense... from all the stuff I read, the extra piping (and hence the extra fluid volume and pipe length) necessary for the FMIC would make the turbo lag a lot worse compared to stock...

·
Registered
36 Posts
can we get a technical review of this product, complete with CFM, IC efficiencies, turbo PSI, ambient air temp, after turbo temp, dyno results, etc? Personally, I would also like to see the analysis that went into the design as well. (I'm a CAD guy, well, actually i support the engineering groups)

Thanks for the review JDino but it's really based off of interpretation. The system does look pretty clean. Looking to see more information from you or the design team.

repo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turbo spooling FASTER with a FMIC? :goon: That doesn't make sense... from all the stuff I read, the extra piping (and hence the extra fluid volume and pipe length) necessary for the FMIC would make the turbo lag a lot worse compared to stock...
[/b]
Seeing as there was almost no turbo lag to begin with on this engine with the stock TMIC, there will be some "lag" with the extra piping, but is almost unnoticeable. As for the turbo not spooling faster, look at the intake compared to the stock intake and tell me that it is not going to spool faster then that stock plastic set-up.

can we get a technical review of this product, complete with CFM, IC efficiencies, turbo PSI, ambient air temp, after turbo temp, dyno results, etc? Personally, I would also like to see the analysis that went into the design as well. (I'm a CAD guy, well, actually i support the engineering groups)

Thanks for the review JDino but it's really based off of interpretation. The system does look pretty clean. Looking to see more information from you or the design team.

repo
[/b]
Your right it is based off of interpretation, a good one I might add haha, I will talk to the design team about getting more numbers for you guys, most of which will be done on dyno day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seeing as there was almost no turbo lag to begin with on this engine with the stock TMIC, there will be some "lag" with the extra piping, but is almost unnoticeable. As for the turbo not spooling faster, look at the intake compared to the stock intake and tell me that it is not going to spool faster then that stock plastic set-up.
Your right it is based off of interpretation, a good one I might add haha, I will talk to the design team about getting more numbers for you guys, most of which will be done on dyno day.
[/b]

Josh, PM myself or Matt about dyno day when you get a chance, have some details to work out now that we are rescheduling it.

we plan on covering more than a few things VS stock in our technical assessment

·
Registered
431 Posts
Question... to clear the turbo outlet pipe, does the hood scoop have to be removed since it no longer provides any intercooler function anymore.

Otherwise, a very nice, clean looking install. Just need to find an engine cover from a normal 2.3 M6 and modify it to fit and clean up the engine bay's looks. :)

How long did it take to install?

·
Registered
358 Posts
It also looks like your license plate is not interfering w/ air getting to the intercooler...which was a concern of mine.[/b]
There's NO way it would interfer since the top half is solid palstic, unless you change it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmm how much would this kit cost?
[/b]
we have a few options - all complete kits - between $849 and $1099

Question... to clear the turbo outlet pipe, does the hood scoop have to be removed since it no longer provides any intercooler function anymore.

Otherwise, a very nice, clean looking install. Just need to find an engine cover from a normal 2.3 M6 and modify it to fit and clean up the engine bay's looks. :)

How long did it take to install?
[/b]
its an afternoon job

·
Registered
244 Posts
It looks like your hood is up in this picture. Is that the case? Is it because of piping? Is this just my imagination?
[/b]
He is probably going back and forth to take pictures so didn't fully close the hood... no way someone will design a FMIC that can't even fit a hood on....

·
Registered
149 Posts
He is probably going back and forth to take pictures so didn't fully close the hood... no way someone will design a FMIC that can't even fit a hood on....
[/b]
That's what I figured but wanted to be sure since someone mentioned the under hood ducting earlier and whether it had to be removed or not. Sort of like "yes it has to be removed and hasn't been yet , thats why the hood isn't closed."

·
Registered
820 Posts
I believe you can remove the underhood ducting, it serves no purpose anymore. Plus someone else mentioed it weighs about 40-50 pounds. That would be a significant weight reduction for the front end!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Holy tiny FMIC batman!

Yea yea yea, don't tell me it's not about the size, but how well it works. Size does matter.

Jason

1 - 20 of 48 Posts