Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,446 Posts
So i did a thing yesterday. Need to refine it and make a carrier for skate bearings like i posted about a while back. This shortens (and stiffens somewhat) the throw to about 2-2.5" at the very top of the knob.

Its a very positive feeling, doesnt seem to bind at all, but will obvs take time to get used to.
Cool. It will be interesting to see how it operates in the coming weeks with the various environmental changes it may encounter. The only thing that I can see as a longer term issue is a possibility to develop increased free-play if the threads wear down. Given the contact surface is greatly reduced from the OEM solution my spidey-sense goes there immediately. That is an easy fix however and I would imagine that, IF, it developed, it would not be for some time yet.
Thumbs up from this armchair mechanic.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,446 Posts
Doubt it, since its plastic on metal and its a hardened bolt. Regardless, thats why im going skate bearings. Not for wear, but for smoother action to counteract the increased effort. I may machine a solid shaft that will screw in and have a nylock nut on the underside.

Ideally, id like to redo the cable end with a spherical bearing like BOM did with Binky.
Right, with a plastic shift linkage I would not suspect an issue to develop.

By "skate bearing" do you mean a sealed ball bearing used in skateboard wheels or is this some new bearing type I am unfamiliar with?

I do not recall a post from a while back referring to this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts