Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know which would give the best most effective and least costly. I have heard lots of good things of Progress Sway bars. I want to get one and wanted to know if any one has had it. I have read the RB is really beefy on the size but is hard on the endlinks and I would probably want to buy new ones if I got the RB. I just wanted to know if anyone who has the progress ones have any probs with the endlinks or would i just have to get the bar and not have any other major thing later on down the road to worry about. I have 55K on my 04 and just got the AVID V4s and love the great grip from them and wanted a tighter turn. I don't want to change springs as I have scraped the bottom on several areas with the stock height and don't want to lower it any.
A local body shop said they can do the rear bar for $60 install which is not bad.
I commute to work and spend lots of time in the car drive about 100miles a day which is why one big reason for not wanting a stiffer ride.
Although any thoughts on the RB springs as they seem to not drop the car too much and seem to be ok with the stock shocks. Would i really see a stiffer ride with these or would the performance out weigh the discomfort.
Also when is time to switch the shocks and do you have to do all 4 at the same time.

Any info would be great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
its always best to do everything at once to keep the car balanced, so yes, change all 4 shocks at the same time. I'd personally get some Koni Yellows or Bilsteins and do those when you do the RB springs rather than having to go back and change out the OEM shocks later. Since you have 55K on them already they're probably dead or will be shortly after you drop the car. You could also try Tokico's since they're more of an OEM replacement and you said you dont want a stiff ride.

One of the vendors on here (RPM maybe, cant remember) sells the RB bar and beefier endlinks. I'm not positive but I'd imagine you could use those endlinks with either the RB or the Progress bar if you're worried about the stock endlinks.

Most effective is a subjective thing. It depends on how stiff a rear bar you want and what you plan to do with the car. The RB bar is significantly stiffer than the Progress.

Personally, I'd like to do a setup with RB springs, Bilstein's up front, Koni's in the rear, and the 24mm Progress RSB. Then again I'm trying to resist my usual modding urges and keep this car stock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I currently have the front Racing Beat sway bar and rear Progress sway bar with stock endlinks. If I had to do it aover again, I would have gotten the whole RB sway set with the RB endlnks. My concern was the endlinks, which is why I went with Progress. But I'm happy with my setup with the addition of the front RB sway bar. The front RB sway bar made the world of difference.

With just the rear Progress sway bar, there was a reduction in body roll, but not to the amount that I wanted. The front corners would still dive in the turns more than I wanted. With the front RB sway bar, during normal every day driving, the car would be flat in the turns. The steering response quickened. The car felt like I was steering a 4-cyl (I have a v6 hatch).

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
I just had the rear Racing Beat sway bar installed on my car this past Sunday with a new set of stock endlinks. No problems yet, but of course it's only been about 200 miles. Handling is very much improved, even steering response. I did notice, however, that the car 'bounces off' of bumps a little more than it used to. I've never driven/ridden in a 6 with the Progress bars, so I have nothing to compare to.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
When you guys are talking about progressive bars, do you mean Whiteline progressive sway bars? or progressive bars in general?
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...f4d8388d3599f16 :([/b]
Progress is a brand of rear bar for the mazda6. Bars are not really considered progressive, although they are if twisted enough.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...f4d8388d3599f16

Progress 24 mm rear or Whiteline 22 mm (reg or adj) rear are good for reducing understeer in the mazda6, but only fair in reducing body roll. To really reduce roll with sways, you need the pair.

Some like RB rear only, but RB would not suggest just using their rear bar. Progress would.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Progress: 24 mm
Racing Beat: 27 mm

That is why RB is stiffer. Basically it's your preference.[/b]
I can take a 45mph rated sweep at 80 on winter tires with only the rear RB bar on. I'm DEFINITELY happy with my decision. :drive: It's also enhanced my steering response in cornering.

How much difference does adding the front bar in addition to the rear bar make?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can take a 45mph rated sweep at 80 on winter tires with only the rear RB bar on. I'm DEFINITELY happy with my decision. :drive: It's also enhanced my steering response in cornering.

How much difference does adding the front bar in addition to the rear bar make?[/b]
By adding any bars to the car, do you guys experience additonal noise when you hit a dip or road bumps? :irate:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I can take a 45mph rated sweep at 80 on winter tires with only the rear RB bar on. I'm DEFINITELY happy with my decision. :drive: It's also enhanced my steering response in cornering.[/b]
+1 well I dont know personally yet but they comparo to the stock is SOOO larger

·
Registered
676 Posts

How much difference does adding the front bar in addition to the rear bar make?[/b]
Like I said, if you have a v6, having the front sway bar will make it feel like there's a 4-cyl in the nose of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said, if you have a v6, having the front sway bar will make it feel like there's a 4-cyl in the nose of the car.[/b]
So if I have 6i with the front sway bar would it feel like a 2 cyl :)

If so does this mean that mathematically
front sway bar = Xcyl -2 :)

lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
So if I have 6i with the front sway bar would it feel like a 2 cyl :)

If so does this mean that mathematically
front sway bar = Xcyl -2 :)

lol[/b]
Well, if you put it that way LOL

I was coming from a 4-cyl '01 Altima. Though that 2.4L engine was cast iron, I felt so uncomfortable when driving my 6s hatch. I felt that the Altima was more willing to change directions than the 6. I can really feel the front heaviness of the v6 engine. I was actually scared taking turns fearing understeer.

Putting in the front RB sway bar made the car so much more responsive to changes in steering.... As if I went back to driving a car with a lighter, 4-cyl engine.

But for you, maybe all you need is a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
178 Posts

+1, Im so happy with my rear RB swaybar

Also I like how now my car will tend to oversteer rather than understeer. I find understeer more frightening than oversteer, probably because in understeer the wheels that control the car's steering lose traction and makes me feel helpless when Im about to glide into a curb...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.