Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of installing a Progress Rear swaybar and having some issues. I got the stock bar off the car easily enough but I cannot get the enlinks off the bar. I'd rather not order new endlinks if not absolutely necessary but I dont think I can get these things off there without damaging them.

Any tips on that?

Also, should it prove impossible to get them off is it terribly bad to drive without the rear swaybar installed? (obviously I'd have to be careful but I want to know if its likely to hurt anything)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Im in the process of installing a Progress Rear swaybar and having some issues. I got the stock bar off the car easily enough but I cannot get the enlinks off the bar. I'd rather not order new endlinks if not absolutely necessary but I dont think I can get these things off there without damaging them.

Any tips on that?

Also, should it prove impossible to get them off is it terribly bad to drive without the rear swaybar installed? (obviously I'd have to be careful but I want to know if its likely to hurt anything)
[/b]
My tip is that the stock endlinks suck for just that reason, sometimes they won't come off unless you break them off.

You can drive without a rear bar, I had to do that for a while when my RB bar destroyed one of my endlinks. It feels like crap without a rear bar, but it's not a problem. (And the other link that the RB bar didn't destroy wouldn't come off so 'I' had to destroy it)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

Any tips on that?

[/b]
1/2" socket wrench, 1/2 to 3/8" adaptor, and proper 3/8 drive allen screw socket. double box end wrench (longer than combo) for nut.

wrap ball jt with wet rag, heat nut only with propane torch for 1 minute, then hold screw steady and turn nut ... may need to hammer on wrench. Need 2 people or 1 + vice.

Best to install new links and nuts, search forum for method.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd just go with the new endlinks. The RPM ones that 6gun fabed up are ajustable. If your going to work on the suspension, might as well make it so you can tweak it to your liking.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my progress rear swaybar installed last night. It was a pain to get the bar back into position but other than that this mod is a pretty easy one. I used loctite on the nuts that hold the endlinks to the bar and torqued to 45lbs. The rest I just hand tightened to approximately the same as they where when I removed the stock bar. (since I couldnt find torque values for any of those other nuts/bolts)

So far I love this mod. I can feel how much easier it is to steer around a sharp corner (right hand turns etc). I dont know if its an illusion but it feels like the steering wheel doesnt fight the turn quite as much.

I plan to check the nuts/bolts again in about 5 days to make sure they are staying put of course.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sweet, this still sounds like a must-have for the 6.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
So far I love this mod. I can feel how much easier it is to steer around a sharp corner (right hand turns etc). I dont know if its an illusion but it feels like the steering wheel doesnt fight the turn quite as much.
[/b]
How'd you get the links off?

If a hatch, going from 18 to 24mm rear bar is a 300% stiffness increase. That should get you at least a 5% change in front weight transfer bias, and eliminate normal oem understeer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How'd you get the links off?

If a hatch, going from 18 to 24mm rear bar is a 300% stiffness increase. That should get you at least a 5% change in front weight transfer bias, and eliminate normal oem understeer.
[/b]
I couldnt get the stock links off the stock bar. They are either torqued beyond 100lbs or glued on. My roomate and I pulled apart so hard the nuts stripped and still didnt budge them.

I called around and got a new set of stock endlinks and nuts from a dealership and got it all hooked up.

I dunno how to really compare before vs after in words, but I can feel the car holding my intended line vs trying to push the turn wider. It feels much easier to turn the wheel and hold it when turning (such as a hard right)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts