Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 V6 wagon with 11,000km on it. Since I got the car, it has had a tough time starting. About 50% of the time, the car will turn over for 10-15 seconds before starting, the rest of the time, it starts normally (2 to 5 seconds). The other weird thing about it is that the starter sound changes pitch about half way through cranking. It sounds normal for the first 5 seconds, then it gets louder and higher pitched until it finally starts.

I've had it to the dealer 5 times. So dar, they have done the following:
- Downloaded ECU update for "Long starting". No help.
- Installed a new fuel pump. Supposedly that one wasn't holding pressure. No help.
- Installed a new MAF. No help.

I have asked them several times why they haven't tried replacing the starter motor, but they tell me that it has nothing to do with this. I may be wrong, but wouldn't that be the KEY thing to check? They've spent a bunch of time on the phone with Mazda Canada, who apparently are also drawing a blank on it.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a bit fed up. Even though the car has never NOT started, a brand new car shouldn't be acting this way. It's kind of embarrasing when you go to start your new car when other people are around and it sounds like a 20 year old jalopy while starting.

Anyone been through this before? What fixed it?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Your starter probably isn't the problem...yet. Whatever is causing the motor not to start is going to burn up your starter. Other than the sound of the starter is there anything else your hearing under the hood? Do you get sputtering or is it just cranking?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just cranking, but it doesn't sound right. I don't have the ticking, nothing is leaking. I have synthetic motor oil, and the level is fine. It has done this since I drove it off the lot 3 months ago.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think it's worthy of that just yet. it's only one problem. other than that, the car's been great.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Some are reporting the fuel pump to be at fault, especially as colder weather comes around.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They need to look at what the car is doing in real time as you start it. If they dont do that they are probably just guessing at what might be wrong.

Modern car repair = computer did it... HEHE

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some are reporting the fuel pump to be at fault, especially as colder weather comes around.
[/b]
Yeah, they already replaced that but it didn't help.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say or the dealer says that the starter cranks, and does indeed spin the fly wheel?
[/b]
They say that the starter cranks, but nothing about the flywheel.

Is there anyway I could check that?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update to my old thread--last Thursday the car finally would not start at all. Lights, stereo, everything worked fine, but turning the key did absolutely nothing, no noise, no click, nothing.

Had the car towed to my dealer. They called me later to say that the car started right up and that the battery and electrical systems were working perfectly. So, I insisted that they replace the starter as a, ahem, starting place.

When they finally got everything removed and got down to the starter, they found out that the starter was never properly connected to power at the factory. A few turns of the wrench, and it starts properly every time now! Not sure why they couldn't figure this out before, but anyway.

Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else runs into the issue.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
How could they NOT check the starter after all these problems you had with it??

I am a roadside operator, the first thing you tell the mechanic to start is alternator, battery, and starter when a vehicle will not start. Mazda dropped the ball on this one. I'd ask them for some free maintenance or something for all the trouble.

I had an electrical problem with the PT Cruiser when I had it. The driver's side heated seat switch light would always go out. After replacing the switch 12 times, the body control module, the seat heater pads bottom and back, and the passenger side switch 4 times, they finally called the designers in. You know what the problem was? A CRIMPED wire under the passenger seat cushion. Every time I turned on the driver's seat heater and someone sat in the passenger seat, the driver seat heater switch would blow out. This didn't cost me being stuck on the side of the road, but it was a major inconvenience.

Chrysler said they wouldn't even offer me a loaner. Fine, I called a lemon law attorney. I faxed all my paperwork, the attorney called with a settlement. I asked for more, because Chrysler was really rude to me. When all was said and done, I had a settlement amount of $10k USD from them because they were rude and inattentive to me.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have an 06 V6 wagon with 11,000km on it. Since I got the car, it has had a tough time starting. About 50% of the time, the car will turn over for 10-15 seconds before starting, the rest of the time, it starts normally (2 to 5 seconds). The other weird thing about it is that the starter sound changes pitch about half way through cranking. It sounds normal for the first 5 seconds, then it gets louder and higher pitched until it finally starts.

I've had it to the dealer 5 times. So dar, they have done the following:
- Downloaded ECU update for "Long starting". No help.
- Installed a new fuel pump. Supposedly that one wasn't holding pressure. No help.
- Installed a new MAF. No help.

I have asked them several times why they haven't tried replacing the starter motor, but they tell me that it has nothing to do with this. I may be wrong, but wouldn't that be the KEY thing to check? They've spent a bunch of time on the phone with Mazda Canada, who apparently are also drawing a blank on it.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a bit fed up. Even though the car has never NOT started, a brand new car shouldn't be acting this way. It's kind of embarrasing when you go to start your new car when other people are around and it sounds like a 20 year old jalopy while starting.

Anyone been through this before? What fixed it?[/b]

If the engine cranks over fine but won't light off, that's NOT the fault of the starter motor, which is why they haven't replaced it.

Your dealer might not have the right answer yet, but at least they don't have the wrong answer.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Read my last post, Dennis. It was the starter--it wasn't properly wired in to power. It didn't crank over fine--it stumbled constantly and would take 15-20 seconds to start.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ya glad to have it fixed. My car pulled the old no start one time. Towed it in, and it started fine. Hasnt ever done it sence. Mazda dealer had no idea why.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts