Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wondering if anybody has had problems with their seatbelts in the M6. I was carrying full load of passengers in the rear, and stopped for a while. After jumping back in the car the rear left seat belt could not be pulled out more than about 30 cms, no matter how slowwww :zzz we pulled it out. Tried for about 10 mins and then gave up and she travelled for about 15 mins and it came good. Anybody had a similar issue before ???

Cheers

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Reading Topic: Problems with Seat Belt pre-tensioner

I don't carry that many passangers but when i did sometimes it would happen. You just have to let it go back real slowly. It is common in most cars for this to happen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Problems with Seat Belt pre-tensioner'

Experienced the same problem, My Sis was in the rear left and the belt just jammed so she couldn't loosen the tension of the belt so she was stuck for the car journey....it eventually came free after we forgot about it for a little while.

·
Registered
131 Posts

don't worry it happens to my friends' skyline and Golf as well..

·
Registered
156 Posts

Yeah, I was in the back of my brothers 6 and I swear those seatbelts lock you in. You cant move at all. Felt like I was in my bondage room. (did I just say that out loud)!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts

Originally posted by Hum

Felt like I was in my bondage room.  (did I just say that out loud)!!![/b]
know we all know you have a BONDAGE ROOM! :D

no, for real, i got the same problems with my 6... and so in the last cars i got to drive... but i noticed that on my own driver seat too... only when i want to park and turn myself to look back...

·
Registered
124 Posts

I just went back to the Mazda Australia web site, and if you look at the "features" section you will see that the pre-tensioners are only on the front seats.
Unfortunately, I don't know the actual name of the type of belts in the back seat, but I can explain how they work...
When the belt is almost fully extended, it locks at that length, and will remain like that until the belt returns to the position where it is not in use. In the interim, the belt can't get any longer, but can shorten. In effect, you can make the belt operate similar to the old fixed lap sash belts.
If that is unclear here is an example of how I (as a family man) use the belts...
When installing the car seats for my kids, I extend the belt fully, then when fitted through the car seat, it returns to a point where it locks the child seat in place, or better still the kids in place when I not using a car seat.
Its just a pain in the butt if you don't explain it to adults

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

All belts in the car has this "pull-brake" - when you pull hard enough they will "jam". The Pre-Tensioners mentioned I belive is a pyrotechnical device that really tightens the belt in a crash (linked with the airbag system maybe).

·
Registered
461 Posts

i experienced the problem today! I was in the backseat, and the belt locked on it. It was like that for several minutes, so i then just decided to take the belt off.
The way it was solved was to apply the force 'upwards' on the belt. I tried doing it perpindicular, but it locks up like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Cheers - glad (in some wierd way) to see I'm not the only one that has experienced the problem. I will be speaking with the dealer at the 10000km service to get it checked out.

·
Registered
124 Posts

still doesn't sound like a problem to me - they are a great safety feature when used by people who understand their operation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well when you experience the problem you may change your mind. When a seatbelt won't extend beyond a foot no matter how long its left at zero length then its a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts

its all in the way you return the belt all the way back. Don't just let it go back when it is it locked - make sure you feed the belt holding it a couple of inches up and away from the top of the seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, we have a similar problem with our 2003 wagon. We have LATCH/Isofix booster seats in the rear. The left hand side belt locks randomly when pulled out even a few inches. The only way to 'reset' it is to return all of the belt. Its a real pain as this often means removing the booster seat (as the belt goes through a guide).

Matt, New Zealand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts