Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure how i can explain this properly but i'll give it a go...

If im in slow moving traffic say in 2nd gear, and im lightly pressing and holding the accelerator pedal down i move along very smoothly and if i push the accelerator a bit harder then i accelerate smoothly as you would expect. But if i then want to slow down a little, and take some of the pressure off the accelerator pedal, it feels like i've suddenly hit brakes for a second and you get jolted forwards slightly. When i bought the car i noticed this but it wasn't really bad enough to worry about and considered it just the way the car felt but it seems to be getting worse now! When i take my foot off the accelerator now it feels like i just hit the brakes even harder, it even makes the dashboard creek sometimes! But it only does it once for a split second when you take your foot off the accelerator then it slows down smoothly like i would expect it to.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas what it could be? Or is this just normal on the 6?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Have you ever driven a manual car before? Of all the MT cars I've driven, I think the 6 is one of the easiest to drive at slow speeds. But yes, in a MT car, you will get a bit of a shock if you take your foot of the gas at slow speeds, more so the higher your RPM. Not really suprising considering that the gear is still engaged, and you removed the throttle. It's called engine braking. Consider using one higher gear if you are creeping along. It will feel much smoother. Otherwise, clutch in while coasting/slowing down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah i have driven lots of manual cars before, and i know you would expect the car to slow down when you take your foot off the gas (Engine Braking) BUT its that initial thud/jolt when you take your foot off that seems to be getting worse, at any engine speed although it is more noticable in lower gears (1st, 2nd & 3rd).

I knew this wouldnt be easy to explain lol.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I guess it could also be a worn engine or transmission mount

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (nate0123 @ Mar 6 2009, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1529752
Have you ever driven a manual car before? Of all the MT cars I've driven, I think the 6 is one of the easiest to drive at slow speeds. But yes, in a MT car, you will get a bit of a shock if you take your foot of the gas at slow speeds, more so the higher your RPM. Not really suprising considering that the gear is still engaged, and you removed the throttle. It's called engine braking. Consider using one higher gear if you are creeping along. It will feel much smoother. Otherwise, clutch in while coasting/slowing down.[/b]
I have the same issue with my car and let me tell you, it has nothing to do with engine braking. It's actually better and pretty much smooth at higher RPMS. If I remember correctly it's below 2k RPMS where I have that jerkiness. It's seems to be just above the rpms at which car would "cruise" in 2nd gear. If you take your foot of the gas in second and don't touch break or anything it will coast at certain rpms, right. If you speed up just a tiny bit ..maybe by 100/200 rpms tops it will rev up gently and if let off gas really very slowly and gently it will jerk like hell. I have driven MTX on different cars for many years I have even driven 82' FIAT 1500 back in Europe and I am used to the fact that if car is just slightly above that "costing" speed for specific gear, letting off the gas would make the car slow down very smoothly ...not the case here. So could it be the mounts if we get rid off engine braking theory ???

·
Registered
426 Posts
this is a good example of the placebo effect. the 6 always does this and it may get worse but I doubt it can get too bad. the worst is first gear and sometimes i do it on purpose if I have an annoying passenger.

Learn to live with it. it can easily be avoided by gradually removing your foot from the accelerator. If you need to remove your foot quickly to brake then the clutch should be in by then anyway so I don't see how this can be an issue. it IS engine braking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
ttshark
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing