Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw all of the other threads about the BOSE wiring, and am still having issues.

I first wanted to wire under the passenger seat. And I saw the wiring I'd need to tap to to get the LR,RR speakers with my RCA jacks.

It seems that the other threads were saying to tap the white/silver, red/silver,blue/black with silver and the green/silver.

The problem there was that there seemed to be more than one of each, so I wasn't sure which ones to grab. I'm guessing that one was iinput to the amp, and the other would be the output......Wasn't sure which one was which?

I then thought I'd try to tap at the rear sub. I used the brn/blk for the -, and the brn for the +. Hooked that up there and all I get is noise comign from the amp.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Forrest

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify, I'm hooking this up to my amp and the sub I just put in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody?

I guess since there are more than one wire of each type, I'm assuming that one is for the input to the amp, and the other the output from the pre-amp.

I think I'll try turning the radio on and seeing if I can geet some voltage to those wires. Maybe that will let me know which is which with the pre-amp unhooked?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Anybody?

I guess since there are more than one wire of each type, I'm assuming that one is for the input to the amp, and the other the output from the pre-amp.

I think I'll try turning the radio on and seeing if I can geet some voltage to those wires. Maybe that will let me know which is which with the pre-amp unhooked?
[/b]

My car is in the boydshop right now, but when I get it back I'll take some pics of amp wiring under the seat for you(should be friday~hopefully).

Do you need the wiring from the stock stereo to the Blose amp or from Blose the amp to the stock speakers? Are you using an LOC or tapping directly to the differential outputs of the stock radio??

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is in the boydshop right now, but when I get it back I'll take some pics of amp wiring under the seat for you(should be friday~hopefully).

Do you need the wiring from the stock stereo to the Blose amp or from Blose the amp to the stock speakers? Are you using an LOC or tapping directly to the differential outputs of the stock radio??
[/b]
I'd appreciate that very much. Which do you think is easier to do? Between I guess removing the seat(which i've already done), and the headunit(which I haven't done on this car)?

I pretty much planned on not using a line out converter, and just direct wiring the RCA jacks, as I've heard the LOC is not a good idea for our app?

I'd like to be able to use a LOC so that I wouldn't ahve to be bothered with splicing the RCA jacks in, but not if it is going to degrade the quality of sound.

Any other input?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'd appreciate that very much. Which do you think is easier to do? Between I guess removing the seat(which i've already done), and the headunit(which I haven't done on this car)?

I pretty much planned on not using a line out converter, and just direct wiring the RCA jacks, as I've heard the LOC is not a good idea for our app?

I'd like to be able to use a LOC so that I wouldn't ahve to be bothered with splicing the RCA jacks in, but not if it is going to degrade the quality of sound.

Any other input?
[/b]

I didn't take out the radio or the seat to make my connections. It was easy enought to just pull some slack on the amp harness after I had removed it(the amp). If you can't get enough slack, just loosen up the seat and move around a little so you can get to what you need.

If your amp can use the differential inputs, don't use an loc. All the outputs from the stock amp including the factory sub output are heavily EQ'd. If you really want to use an LOC you can tap it to the front speaker outputs at the amp, they are the closest your going to get to a full range signal from the stock amp.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Having been through this I can tell you there is a lot of conflicting information out there about using the BOSE system and which wires are which.

Some threads have information listed in them that is flat out wrong.

This thread, has a fantastic chart in the first post, that I can confirm is absolutely correct as far as the BOSE system is concerned

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=42447

Here is the attachment

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?act=...ost&id=8145

Now... Please see my thread on my stereo install for details about how to turn your BOSE headunit into a headunit with Pre-amp outputs. You can tap either behind the headunit or at the BOSE amp on the input side of things.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=748751

I chose to wire in my pre-amp outputs directly behind the headunit, but you can place them at the input to the BOSE amplifier under the seat if you wish. I highly recommend that you solder, not quick tap, or crimp connector, or anything else to create RCA pre-out's to hook up to the inputs on your amplifier.

Soldering in RCA connectors like I did, or splicing in the ends of your cable is the best way to go, no LOC necessary to introduce noise in the system.

For the record here are the wiring colors at the BOSE amplifier harness as seen in the diagram.

Headunit Preamp outputs (BOSE amplifier input)
RR- Green
RR+ Black
FR- White
FR+ Red
LR- Red
LR+ White
LF- Black
LF+ Green

You will notice that although this is 8 wires, it's only 4 different colors, that is why it is sooo important to look at the wire position in the diagram that I llinked too. This diagram not only gives you colors, it gives position in the harness.

The colors are the same at the harness behind the headunit, only in different positions because it's a different connector. Again, this is available in the image attachment I posted above.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it much, I've got everything working. That diagram was very helpful.

I had to use a LOC though, as the thing just wouldn't work with a direct wire to an RCA jacks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts