Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a air intake on my 2004 mazda6 and its not acting the same anymore. Like it doesnt have the same power. Can it be the Stock air filter wire sensors. Its puttering when i start it and when i drive it goes fine but not as much power then all of a sudden it kicks in am i doing something wrong. If anyone knows what im going wrong or need to do.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, I had some lag problems with a short ram.

If I sat at a stoplight too long on a summer day, it would have noticeably less power leaving the light. By the time I got across the intersection it would be fine. But it was slower than a 2.2l S10 with automatic from a dead stop if I sat still long enough.

With my current CAI, I haven't noticed any losses at any rpm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its an short ram its a custom one from spectre. I was short with money plus i had half the parts from my last car. So i should just buy a cold air that would be better and i wont feel that lag. but what about those wire sensors does that have to do with anything

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Its an short ram its a custom one from spectre. I was short with money plus i had half the parts from my last car. So i should just buy a cold air that would be better and i wont feel that lag. but what about those wire sensors does that have to do with anything
From what I know this will help with lag issues. It's cheap and at therpmstore.com

Throttle Body/Engine/Chassis Grounding:
NRG Grounding Wire System - 6Crew.com Forum

Hope that helps!​

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Import Tuner just 2 months ago showed how significant a difference can be seen by something as simple as having an airhorn, either as part of the inlet pipe, or as part of the filter attached to the pipe. They tested (someone’s) SRI with no airhorn and then an AER set-up with an airhorn (their canister filters all have them built-in) , and not only did HP improve, but AF readings improved as well. The turbulence over the MAF caused by a non-airhorn SRI confuses the heck out of the computer and can drastically alter what the ECM thinks is taking place.

Throw hot, turbulent air over the MAF and loss of power is probably the least serious problem that can occur. The lean-out Import Tuner saw would be one of the more serious potential outcomes.

If (his) problems started with installation of the intake, there's no reason to believe a grounding set-up will now get rid of the issue.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If (his) problems started with installation of the intake, there's no reason to believe a grounding set-up will now get rid of the issue.

I don't know were his problem started. I'm just saying that it will help with the lag issue as getting the grounding kit has helped alot of poeple.

It won't solve the lost power issue he is having on his first post. Either way it's recommended for the car by everyone who has one...

As for the ground wires most people are not sure yet if they really do something or not but it is supposed to reduce throttle lag. Most people have went against the pre pakaged wires because they charge way too much. If you do a search you can find a way to do it yourself and it will run you about 15 dollars. I myself have done the mod and noticed a slight change in throttle lag..... under the forums in the egine section you can actually find a section where they are going to test if it does anything or not.
So many people have noticed a change in throttle lag including me..

The power issue can be a few other things but i'm not sure about it. i do know a few people had issues with the RAM intake but I'm not 100 % on that issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This thread is long-since dead, but I'm having the same issues with my new intake. I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. I got Spectre tubing and threw on an AEM filter. It's all sealed pretty tight and installed correctly.

I've been told by friends that it's just the computer compensating in some way or another to keep it within its own parameters, so maybe a tune is necessary? It's just weird, I never saw "tune necessary" when looking around about SRIs.

I have an 08 6i. I've reset the ECU, I've driven it hard for a few days, and nothing really got it working for me. It bothered me so much that I couldn't stand it anymore and I put on the stock intake. A cold start had the engine sputtering and sometimes I could feel the ECU messing with the acceleration while I was accelerating. The power I felt was also worse than before I advanced the timing and cleaned my MAF sensor, and it was draggin' back then.

Has anyone else with a 6i had any of these problems?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts