Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having a problem getting into third when accelerating hard? Thought it was me (my first manual); but my more experienced son couldn't get out of neutral once while he was showing me how to drive fast, going from second to third. His P5 appears to allow for quicker shifting. My 6 cylinder car has about 300 city, 400 highway miles. Does the tranny need to loosen up, or are we both crummy shifters?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Problems getting into third at high revs?

I have noticed this too, mine has 500 miles on it, I actually missed a shift once.

I assume the synchros need to break in a bit. Mine has loosened up a bit already.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Those of you having this problem, are you driving the I4 or V6 models? (The two engines are mated to different transmissions.) I have a V6 myself, and have not noticed any problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, or any other shift pattern, both up and down. The only thing I've noticed is hesitation sometimes when putting it into 1st gear.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I own the V6 and I also have seen this problem. But it has gotten better with miles (5000 miles) and with the temperature outside getting warmer. So it might be a fluid problem.... I don't know.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

I had problems getting it into first gear and Reverse, but now its fine now. V6 model. Just give it some more breakin time. (9600) miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'Problems getting into third at high revs?'

1000 miles, and everything is much looser. Shifts no problem now. Would like a noisier intake so I can hear the revs......

·
Registered
895 Posts

Does anyone notice that you can "feel" the engine through the stick? I have the V6 - in first gear when I feather the clutch I can actually feel it grab hold. Kind of neat, but something I'm not used to at all. Depending on where you push the shifter once it's seated in a gear, you can feel some kind of action.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

I thought that being able to feel that was normal... In my Rodeo, the stick actually moves a little when you punch it fron a stand still. As for the 3rd gear thing, I notice that on my Rodeo as well... more on colder days, as is the case with hydraulic clutch assemblies, colder the air, the thicker the fluid is. I think it just the way non-racing clutches are designed to be.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

some times I notice that first gear is a little jerky when engaged and you push the throttle, I'm not sure if thats the variable valve timing kicking in or what, but it doesn't seem as smooth as second on up. Anyone else notice this? It seems to corespond to my dyno plot.

·
Registered
468 Posts

no problems with 3rd here...i did have a 1-2 grind at very high rpms (6800 rpm or so) did it twice back to back about a month or so ago..never duplicated it again...have about 11,000 miles on the car now..6s manual

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Problems getting into third at high revs?'

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

Does anyone notice that you can "feel" the engine through the stick?  I have the V6 - in first gear when I feather the clutch I can actually feel it grab hold.  Kind of neat, but something I'm not used to at all.  Depending on where you push the shifter once it's seated in a gear, you can feel some kind of action.[/b]
This must be normal as every stick I've driven lets you feel the engine through the shifter. Also, if you gently rest your hand on the shifter while depressing the gas pedal and then lifting your foot off, you can feel it move a little bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts