Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a couple years of function, the passenger side mirror decided it doesnt want to auto fold anymore.

I can hear the motor spinning so I took it off and completely apart to see if I could see a possible problem. Unfortunately I didnt see any smoking gun. I put it back so I at least have a nice mirror with a turn signal in it. Luckily its folded out.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a replacement motor/folding mechanism?

·
Registered
956 Posts
+1 both of mine stopped working, :irate: im so pissed, i thought it was becuase people were probably trying to open them by hand and messed it up but then i figured that maybe it was just time, i have them folded out also, and when i press the switch they dont fold in so i just turn the switch off and leave them folded out, but if you want to close you can, just pull them.. I mean they're already broken, i think the teeth of the gears and motor wear out after a while with the whole opening and closing all the time..

i wanted to buy news one but dont wanna spend for it, i rather buy l.e.d tails..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just wondering. I noticed speedline stopped carrying them. Where is the cheapest place to purchase a set ?

·
Registered
781 Posts
my passenger side is starting to make an extra spinning noise after it closes. they still work, but i have left them on off auto fold to try to save the motors...mine are about a yr old. i would say just find some that are not auto fold, but still have the turn signals cuz they don't last too long...i think speedline still has those.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Shane23 @ Oct 23 2008, 05:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1464497
+1 both of mine stopped working, :irate: im so pissed, i thought it was becuase people were probably trying to open them by hand and messed it up but then i figured that maybe it was just time, i have them folded out also, and when i press the switch they dont fold in so i just turn the switch off and leave them folded out, but if you want to close you can, just pull them.. I mean they're already broken, i think the teeth of the gears and motor wear out after a while with the whole opening and closing all the time..

i wanted to buy news one but dont wanna spend for it, i rather buy l.e.d tails..[/b]
Did they both fail at the same time or one before the other? I figure the driver side will probably die soon as well then. I took the motor apart and didnt really see any broken teeth on the gears, so I'm not sure why they dont fold anymore. But I'm like you, at least they can fold if necessary, which is a step up from the non foldable stock ones.

·
Registered
956 Posts
QUOTE (Blennidae @ Oct 23 2008, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1464606
Did they both fail at the same time or one before the other? I figure the driver side will probably die soon as well then. I took the motor apart and didnt really see any broken teeth on the gears, so I'm not sure why they dont fold anymore. But I'm like you, at least they can fold if necessary, which is a step up from the non foldable stock ones.[/b]
my drivers side died first and then the passenger recently..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same problem in a Mazda 6-2018.The problem is in to mechanism because this has a plastic gear.I found 2 types of gears for fix the problem 30 pins and 48 pins.Some one knows witch one is the correct?

·
Registered
652 Posts
It seems that Mazda has an issue with the folding mirrors. My brother who bought a CX-5 claimed from warranty for replacement. I think it was only for less than a year. Then the following year, he had an issue for that mirror.

In my case, both sides have been replaced. Right now, both do not fold at the same time. This was the first symptom before the side mirror stopped working.

Is this normal for all brands? I am somehow expecting that if this has happened for an old car, it can be attributed to normal wear and tear but for a relatively brand new car?

Anyone here have the same experience? I know this thread is for the 1st Gen but I don't want to start a new thread for the 2018 model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts