Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2005 Mazda6 Wagon GS-V6 (Automatic transmission), and have suddenly lost the use of the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears.

As I was driving this evening, at one point when the car changed from 3rd to 4th gear, it felt to me as if it had switched to Neutral. So basically, I only have the use of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Beyond that, pressing on the gas just revs the engine.

The problem occurs consistently (i.e. not intermittent). I have also tried in tiptronic mode (when I change gears manually with the lever is in "M" mode instead of "D" mode). I tried to see whether it was just 4th gear which was having a problem, but the same happens with 5th and 6th.

Questions:
1. Has anyone else experienced something similar? (I tried to do a search on these forums, but did not find anything that seemed to match.)

2. This is our first new car, and the first time we need servicing. Do I understand correctly that I should simply call my dealer and they take care of the rest from that point on?

Or in other words, what should I expect in terms of customer service? i.e.
- Should it be up to me to have the car towed to the dealership?
- We bought the car at the end of Sept 2005, and have not even made 10,000 Kms (metric system - we live in Quebec). Are the cost of repairs something that Mazda absorbs in cases like these, or am I expected to dish out anything?
- Do incidents such as this one get treated on a "priority basis", or does the dealer simply say "the next available timeslot is in xx days"?
- Does the dealer usually provide a courtesy car while the repairs take place?

3. Any other advice I should consider in dealing with this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

-areacode514
(Montreal, Quebec)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Can't say I've heard of such a problem before myself. It could be something as simple as a bad transmission control computer. All you should have to do is call your dealer. If your close enough that driving in 3rd can get you there, they'll have you drive it in, and towing is a possibility if needed, and in most cases (at least in the US and I imagine Canada too) will provide you with a free rental car. You won't be expected to pay anything at all for anything done to your car.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this but I'd guess the TCM (or tranny computer) is the culprit. Could also be a problem with the solenoids in the valve body or the valve body itself but I doubt it since you lost 3 gears at once. Only the dealer can solve this and you might be looking at a new or rebuilt tranny. Let's hope this isn't the start of a new trend for the 6-speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for your input.

I brought it in (drove 40 min on small city streets to get there), and they will take a look at it. Their "courtesy car" service is in fact the privilege to rent a loaner at a reduced price ($14.95 per day) which I've done.

Will keep you posted.

-areacode514

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your input.

I brought it in (drove 40 min on small city streets to get there), and they will take a look at it. Their "courtesy car" service is in fact the privilege to rent a loaner at a reduced price ($14.95 per day) which I've done.

Will keep you posted.

-areacode514
[/b]
Um, under mazda warranty, when you bring your car in for service, they are REQUIRED to give you a car FREE OF CHARGE

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fellow Montrealer here - what dealership did you go to for the work / loaner?

dabears2k is right - that doesn't seem right that you had to pay for the courtesy car...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Um, under mazda warranty, when you bring your car in for service, they are REQUIRED to give you a car FREE OF CHARGE
[/b]
This is funny because I always get a ride back in a courtesy vehicle. I once asked for a loaner and they said no because of insurance :( If I bring my car in and they have it almost all day, shouldn't I get a loaner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update:

- They said the transmission is shot, so they will need to obtain another one to replace it with. (Do I assume correctly that it's always replaced with a new one as opposed to a rebuilt or used one?)
- They will probably not get a replacement until Tuesday.
- Until that time, I continue to use the car loan. If after 5 days my car is still not fixed, then the rest of the car loan is free of charge for me. (My dealer is Mazda President in Anjou).
- (I'll have to check about the warranty here in Canada re: giving a car free of charge.)

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
areacode514

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Here's an update:

- They said the transmission is shot, so they will need to obtain another one to replace it with. (Do I assume correctly that it's always replaced with a new one as opposed to a rebuilt or used one?)
- Until that time, I continue to use the car loan. If after 5 days my car is still not fixed, then the rest of the car loan is free of charge for me. (My dealer is Mazda President in Anjou).
- (I'll have to check about the warranty here in Canada re: giving a car free of charge.)

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
areacode514
[/b]
The odds are that the tranny that they will use will be a rebuilt one, not a new one.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here's an update:

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
areacode514
[/b]
With such low miles I'd argue for a new tranny but I'm afraid it may not be easy. And it's virtually impossible to tell what they put in unless the service advisor is honest with you. Being that the 6-speeds are roughly 1-2 years old, I'd guess that even a used (or rebuilt) one will have relatively low miles so I wouldn't worry too much. Just be sure to check that the warranty coverage hasn't changed in any way. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To interdit or anyone else in Canada:

Unfortunately, I've left all car documentation regarding the warranty in the glove box (and the car, of course, is at the dealership).

Would it be possible for one of you to confirm if our Canadian warranty mentions something about when you bring your car in for service, if they are required to give you a courtesy car free of charge?

Regards,

-areacode514

P.S. The dealership confirmed to me that they would be putting in a new transmission (as opposed to a rebuilt one).

·
Registered
76 Posts
To interdit or anyone else in Canada[/b]
As you asked, just checked my Canadian Warranty (2005 Sport, same year as your Wagon): "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" has a list of "What is Not Covered", which includes "car rentals" under "Extra Expenses and Damages".

However, rentals are covered IF you purchased (or as many do negotiated into purchase or lease) Mazda Added Protection. MAP does provide a car rental for every day the car is in for warranty work, I used the coverage only a few days after delivery for a computer replacement that took a week to be shipped.

Tried to give you links from http://www.mazda.ca/Root.asp Found two under "Sales & Service/Warranty", but neither will actually bring up a document - note that one refers to 2004, I think these are unmaintained links :swearin: - but perhaps try latter:
http://www.mazda.ca/files/2005_warranty_eng.pdf
http://www.mazda.ca/files/2004_map_new_eng.pdf

And to answer all our American friends who are now thinking I'm full of crap because they DO have loaners so we must as well - your car loaners are under the "Mazda Service Transportation Solution" detailed at this link
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...ssurance&bhcp=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greetings all,

Just wanted to let you know that the new transmission was finally installed and our Mazda6 was ready for us on Friday.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,

areacode514

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much did you end up having to pay for the car rental?
[/b]
I paid $14.95 per day x 5 days, after which (for the remaining days that the car was still in the shop) it was Mazda that picked up the rest of the tab.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
areacode514
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing