Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is most important/nessesary if you are buying? I'm asking because I'm considering buying one but can't get all the goodies I want. Also I can't drive a stick but is it worth learning for the 6?

Options:

V4/V6
Manual/Auto
Sports package
Leather
Bose audio

What would you pick if you could only have 2 or 3 of these upgrades?

Thanks much,
Don

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Reading Topic: priority of options?

If I could pick I'd get the v6,5spd, w/ the sport package. Since the 5spd is cheaper than the auto maybe you could add leather. You could always add a better stereo. I bought my last car in a standard and they are alot more fun except if you spend alot of time in traffic.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Manual
V6
Sports Package
Leather
Bose

In that order. It IS worth learning to drive stick and the 6 would be a great learners car as it is nearly impossible to stall. It will actually start pulling ahead a bit if you are just slightly touching the clutch with no gas pressed.

If you bought a manual you'd probably be pretty happy with the I4... but my thinking is that the savings in getting the manual covers much of the price difference in getting the V6.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I would go with the things that you could NOT add laters....
-V6, leather, Sports Package

Manual/ Auto is a personal preference. Whatever is more important...but if you like manual, I would go with it and get the sports package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys, great advice. Still gonna have to think about the manual tranny though.

Don

·
Registered
56 Posts
Replying to Topic 'priority of options?'

I'm sort of in the same hole that your are... I've been thinking long and hard about which options are really important for me because I can't afford a fully loaded car. Here's my opinion.

1. Manual. This is non negotiable for me. If you get the V6, automatic may be an option. But for me, the 6I with the automatic is simply not a choice. I don't want a racer, but I would like a car with some acceleration to call upon if I need it.

2. Sports Package. I think that in person, the car looks just fine without the Sports Package. However, the Sports Package leads to a silly grin on my face that the normal car just doesn't give me. I'm not the largest fan of the spoiler, but I feel that the front/rear bumpers and side trim on the Sports package really adds alot to the looks. BE WARNED: Remember that 17" tires are quite expensive, and will need to be replaced more often (30,000 miles from what I've read). Be sure you can afford to replace the tires if you go with this option!

3. I4/V6. Haven't decided here. I have more negotiating power with the I4. Also, after a test drive with the manual, the I4 has PLENTY of acceleration in the lower gears. I'd be happy 95% of the time. However, the I4 did fail to blow me away with the acceleration (but I was impressed); and on the interstate you may find yourself wanting more. Two things to consider: 1) If you choose automatic - just get the V6. With a manual trannie... 2) Do you intend on showing off with the speed? Is engine flair important? If money and practicality wins out, go with the I4. You won't have to search as hard for a good deal, and I'm willing to bet it will more than satisfy you. If you feel that you need to be able to accelerate quickly at the drop of a dime, and don't mind the extra costs and hassles, get the V6.

4. Bose Audio. I listened to both systems. The Bose was certainly boomier, but didn't sound all that much better IMO. Remember that you can get the Cd changer for 500. Bose costs like 200 more, and you get the subwoofer and tweeters along with a CD changer. However, you lose the Mid range equilizer! So it's a trade off. I liked the Bose slightly more, and think it is worth it if for only the CD changer. But I won't cry if I end up getting one without Bose. I can always add a subwoofer and tweeters later.

5. Leather Seats. I'm not a huge fan of leather seats, and the 6's failed to impresses me even more than usual. I'm going with cloth and saving myself some money. Plus, options are much more flexible with black cloth than with black leather.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
543 Posts

For me, safety was a major factor. If I had NOT chosen the Leather/Comfort package with my Sport version, I could not have gotten the Side Airbags. For some STUPID reason, they think safety should only go to those who spend more for leather/moonroof.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

My six had to have the v6, leather and moonroof..everything else was negotiable. I wanted a stick, but the wife cant drive it (got it anyway) but i had to think about that. I really like the sport package, it really looks good on the car but I also really liked the biege interier so I thought...am I gonna drive it or look at it. So I went with the beige leather non-sport package. maybe rims, spoiler, and fog lights will come down the road ;)
Oh yeah and I agree the v6 model with the mtx would be good to learn in, good clutch feel and pretty hard to stall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts