·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/23/2019-mazda3-pricing-official/#slide-7474733

Pretty big jump in pricing from 18's but 2.0L Skyactiv has been dropped for the 2.5 standard. Manual transmission only available in one Hatchback variant. No information on alternative engine options, either.. I'm excited to see what's in store for the progressive updates through the 19MY.

They also dropped the Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels for (base), Select (sedan only), Preferred and Premium (which is the only trim option where you can get a manual... strange). Manual also will NOT be available with AWD. The only standalone options outside the trims will be color palate choices.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26011657/2019-mazda-3-sedan-hatchback-pricing/

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not surprising they gutted the MT options from the last gen. Too bad, though. High $20s is real steep for an economy (even if it's "semi-luxury") hatch with a stick, even though it will have plenty of amenities. Very confident pricing on Mazda's part--it'll be interesting to see what kind of discounts these end up having.

·
Registered
570 Posts
'Boy am I glad I bought my Cdn spec. '17 Mazda6 Sport 6MT for about $Cdn 22k in Feb '17! Yes, "decontented" relative to a Touring or GT (but it has back up cam, seat heaters - 4 seats, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers, etc... all features targeted at "The Great White North" says me, living in the Pacific Northwest climate, hehe). It sure represented value, in my mind. Bear in mind 1$Cdn = .74$US currently... but wages are lower in Canada vs the 'States.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
$28+k for a stick in the "3"? Uh...... what are they smoking over there?

The $2,500+ cost add for the hatch is obnoxious as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Manual and automatic are the same price? Used to be sticks were $500-$1000 cheaper than the automatic version. They must not be selling enough of them to get enough economy of scale on the parts. I assume that with the stick you'll also lose the radar cruise control and just get regular cruise control instead since the car won't be able to change gears for you to speed up and slow down automatically as this system is intended to work.

These MSRP's for the FWD versions don't seem that much different than they were when I bought my 07 Mazda 3s GT. After adjusting for inflation, these prices might even be cheaper.

I wonder if this will be the death of the CX-3. With an AWD 3, there's really very little compelling reason left to choose the CX-3 instead unless you really like the styling or shorter wheelbase on the CX-3 better. I told my sales guy as much when I bought my CX-3 that I couldn't figure out why they bothered to offer a FWD version of the CX-3 because without AWD, the 3 is a better car in nearly every meaningful way for about the same price. He said, "Yeah, I can't argue with that at all..." I think if the CX-3 lives for another generation, they'll have to do something with this car to set it apart from the rest of their line-up.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
MTXs are less expensive to make (by quite a lot) than an ATX. That's especially true for a modern ATX with its computer controls and such. It SHOULD be less expensive.

One place where they really did cheese the existing MTXs in the "6" is in the flywheel/clutch assembly; they used a DMF, which is usually only found on diesels (SMF flywheels rattle something crazy on diesels at idle, which people find extraordinarily annoying.) There's no reason for them to have done that other than to not have to engineer and manufacture a different flywheel assembly.

Does it really matter in driving experience? Not really, but it is part of the reason you can get idle surging on the "6" when in gear under certain conditions (think in very slow traffic) and also can be a bit odd on launch (which I notice, but many people won't.)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wonder if this will be the death of the CX-3.
Not a chance! Logically you would think so, but crossovers are just too in demand right now. Small crossovers and AWD hatches actually have totally different customer bases. Someone looking for a crossover, I don't think, would EVER consider a hatchback so no manufacturer would replace a crossover with a hatch. Now, if gas goes back up over $4, it'll be a whole different landscape (again).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I said the same thing when they announced AWD.

I've been selling Mazda's for a total of about 4 years & have delivered ONE new CX-3. Mostly due to the fact that Mazda never offers more than a $500 rebate outside of qualifying incentives. They'll almost definitely be discontinued in the North American market. The Euro's love their city skates though, so I'd assume it will continue outside of the US for another 4 or 5 model years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not a chance! Logically you would think so, but crossovers are just too in demand right now. Small crossovers and AWD hatches actually have totally different customer bases. Someone looking for a crossover, I don't think, would EVER consider a hatchback so no manufacturer would replace a crossover with a hatch. Now, if gas goes back up over $4, it'll be a whole different landscape (again).
I disagree. The CX-3 is not selling very well around here despite Mazda being very popular here in Milwaukee. I’d bet I see 100 Mazda 3’s or 6’s for every CX-3 on the road besides the one that I had before it got totaled. That certainly may not be true everywhere.

I hear a lot of people talk about how hot this compact CUV market is right now, but I’m just not seeing play out that way on the streets. Around here, the market for these sub-compact CUV’s is pretty miniscule compared to the other models they sell. CX-5, Forester, Rav-4, and other comparable vehicles is the sweet spot these days for sales. Not much more money for a lot more car. In Asia, Europe, Latin/South America maybe things are different, but this car has failed to take off here in the upper Midwest of the US. I WAS the market for the CX-3, but if I had a do-over it’s an AWD as an option? That’d be a no brained to go with the 3. It’s bigger, faster, more fuel efficient, and probably the same price or even less with the more aggressive incentives Mazda regularly offers

·
Registered
440 Posts
I disagree. The CX-3 is not selling very well around here despite Mazda being very popular here in Milwaukee. I’d bet I see 100 Mazda 3’s or 6’s for every CX-3 on the road besides the one that I had before it got totaled. That certainly may not be true everywhere.

I hear a lot of people talk about how hot this compact CUV market is right now, but I’m just not seeing play out that way on the streets. Around here, the market for these sub-compact CUV’s is pretty miniscule compared to the other models they sell. CX-5, Forester, Rav-4, and other comparable vehicles is the sweet spot these days for sales. Not much more money for a lot more car. In Asia, Europe, Latin/South America maybe things are different, but this car has failed to take off here in the upper Midwest of the US. I WAS the market for the CX-3, but if I had a do-over it’s an AWD as an option? That’d be a no brained to go with the 3. It’s bigger, faster, more fuel efficient, and probably the same price or even less with the more aggressive incentives Mazda regularly offers
This got me thinking so I did a quick search. This was a very interesting article:

https://carbuzz.com/news/mazda-posts-impressive-2018-sales-figures

All 2018 Mazda SUV sales were up from 2017, the CX-3 modestly at 3.3%, but still an increase. Non-SUVs were down quite considerably over 2017. So that's why I'm not seeing a non-crossover replace a crossover.

Non-scientifically, in New England I see the popularity of CUVs raging. They're everywhere. The dealership group I work for doesn't have Mazda, but it does have Hyundai and I consider the Kona a direct competitor of the CX3. They can't keep those Konas on the lot! They sell them as soon as they get them. I imagine the CX3 is a similar story, around here anyway. It will definitely be interesting to see if the AWD 3 cannibalizes CX3 sales.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would question the viability of the CX-3, even with a "hot" SUV market.

Total 2018 sales: 16,899

Outside of the niche Miata, that is by far the weakest by-model seller in Mazda's lineup. The latest sales data overall only goes to September 2018, so I'll use the numbers for that month. Here are what the subcompacts did in sales, ranked by demand:

Jeep Renegade - 8099
Honda HR-V -5978
Ford EcoSport - 4577
Hyundai Kona - 4327
Toyota C-HR - 4180
Nissan Kicks - 3498
Kia Niro - 2889
Mazda CX-3 - 1219
Fiat 500X - 286

The CX3 is barely a blip on the map. Only the splendidly awful Fiat 500X fared worse. I have real doubts the CX-3 will ever see a 2nd generation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
CX-3 sold 16,889/300,325 = 5.6% of all vehicles Mazda sold while CX-5 was 50%. CX-5 selling nearly 10:1 over the CX-3. Ouch. It’s definitely gonna need some radical changes if it has any hope of sticking around for a second generation. Maybe as a platform for Mazda’s first electric or hybrid? Not much room for batteries but Nissan found a way on the Leaf, so maybe there’s hope? This would allow them to keep the platform around and have something to distinguish it in the crowded market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Vipre77
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing