Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I am currently in the middle of replacing my spark plugs on my 07 3.0 V6. I'm replacing all 6 coils and plugs, but is there anything else I should consider replacing while I have the upper intake manifold/tb/egr exposed? vehicle has 145k on it.

thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I also did my valve cover gaskets and intake plenum gaskets while I had my intake off. This allows you to take care of the plug well gaskets that can leak and cause issues with your new plugs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also did my valve cover gaskets and intake plenum gaskets while I had my intake off. This allows you to take care of the plug well gaskets that can leak and cause issues with your new plugs.
Good call. plug well gaskets were shot.

Anything else? Maybe a catch can?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good call. plug well gaskets were shot.

Anything else? Maybe a catch can?

I recommend a catch can. I installed one a few weeks ago and within one week it already had an ounce or two of a water/oil mix. I’ll be checking it again next week.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
The PCV valve if you haven't changed it yet already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recommend a catch can. I installed one a few weeks ago and within one week it already had an ounce or two of a water/oil mix. I’ll be checking it again next week.
Link to the catch can used/ setup? concerned with location & bay space.
I ordered a universal catch can from UPR products with the L shaped bracket and diffuser also. eBay had the best price. I really like their design. If you research you will find cheaper solutions where some people will add a stainless steel pan scrubber for media which likely will do just as well. I did this on a 2015 6 so i’m not sure where the best mounting position would be on yours. For me the only logical option was to mount just behind the drivers side fog light to where I have to pop open a plastic cover underneath the vehicle to access it. My alternative was up near the passenger side firewall but I was looking at about 12ft of hose to do all this. I plan to add a drain which is easy with the upr catch can but you can also order a drain from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The PCV valve if you haven't changed it yet already.
Thanks! yep, took some time to find the right size, but Its shipping now. Just wondering if i can clean / inspect anything that can preserve my life

You may check out your intake valves and try to clean them up if they are caked with deposits. I scrubbed them with acetone but did not get as much off as I would like. A walnut media blaster is likely the way to go and I will probably do this when I try and do it again. CorkSport sells one for a decent price but some people make their own. If your generation Mazda is port injected then this is probably a waste but I would still inspect them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may check out your intake valves and try to clean them up if they are caked with deposits. I scrubbed them with acetone but did not get as much off as I would like. A walnut media blaster is likely the way to go and I will probably do this when I try and do it again. CorkSport sells one for a decent price but some people make their own. If your generation Mazda is port injected then this is probably a waste but I would still inspect them.
Thanks! Ill look into it. valve deposits are an concern, hence the catch can. Yeah mine is DI so I will see if I can clean them up a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
[email protected]
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing