Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is now over 225,000km and was wondering what people's thoughts are on some preventative maintenance that I should do?

It's a 2004 with the v6.
Was bought in late 2008 with 104,000 km at the time.
Coolant was last changed 3 years ago so I will be doing that very soon.
Since buying it I've changed the oil every ~5000-6000km with 5w-20 non-synthetic.
Haven't had many issues with the motor other than needing the PCV valve hose replaced one year ago (pcv valve replaced at the same time) and an ignition coil needed to be changed recently because it was causing a misfire whenever it rained.

I'm thinking to start with rad hoses and coolant, and inspecting the vac lines and replacing whatever ones seem ready to crack. I'll also be cleaning my k&n air filter this weekend.
So any ideas on things I should start replacing or problem areas to inspect?

·
Registered
632 Posts
pre-cats

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE
CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT OF A PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE JOB THAT IS...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE

Will I still pass an emissions test with the egr reroute? And no check engine lights?

Today I was cleaning my air filter and MAF sensor and noticed the accordion tube has a huge crack right through it at one of the ribs and another crack starting at another rib, so I am ordering that part now.
Also ordering the upper radiator hose, will do the lower one and a second coolant flush later next year (I've been told the upper hose is the one that gets the most extreme temps and will be the first to go).

·
Registered
153 Posts
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE
EGR REROUTE

Why is it a preventive maintenance job? If it were wouldn't Mazda be recommending it? If EGR was redundant they would have saved money by eliminating it from the car. EGR reroute will actually damage the car by throwing off closed loop calculations in the ECU. When EGR opens oxygen will increase and vice-versa. That is opposite of the design intent will lead to fuel wastage. Excess unburnt fuel will be dumped on the Catalytic convertors which will run hotter and shorten their lifespan. You are promoting snake oil and wasting people's time and money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts