Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some background on the status of the car. I took my y-pipe off two weeks ago to send to Cooks to replace the cats. For two weeks my car sat in the garage, nobody touched it. I reinstalled the pipe and went to start the car, but everything was dead. We hooked up jumper cables to another car and it started right away and everything seemed normal. I drove to a gas station 15 minutes away, filled up with gas, and went to start, and the battery was completely dead again. Jump started it again and everything was fine. I drove 50 miles to school, turned off the car and immediately tried to turn it back on but nothing happened AGAIN. I took my battery to Checkers and they did a load test and said it was bad. This is the lightweight odyssey battery I got from CPE.

So now I put my old battery back in and when I start the car, it starts right away but now the idle jumps and constantly from 500 rpm to 1200 rpm almost every second. The AT light, the traction control light, the CEL all come on and flash when this is happening. Now, when I remove my CPE MAFc while the car is still started, the idle goes normal, but all those lights I just described are now solid and when I try to drive, the car slams into every gear very harshly.

My only theory right now is that I fried the MAF-C trying to jump it so many times.... I'm going to try to drive it to Checkers tommorrow so they can pull the CEL code.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar to this. I really want to avoid taking it to Mazda because I know that they'll bitch at me and probably won't even work on it because of all the things I've added.

Also, should I ask CPE about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Do throttle bodies go bad?
[/b]
if you have the AA or AB model, yes. Only other thing could be the maf sensor. If it is the maf sensor, it will run REALLY rich. Where you can smell TONS of gas

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, when the MAFc IS plugged in, you can smell a lot of gas... looks like I'll be cleaning the maf sensor and going from there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cleaned the MAF, but still no luck. I borrowed checkers scanning tool and came up with three CEL codes.

P0103 MAF circuit high input ON 1 CCM
P1410 VAD control system circuit malfunction OFF 2 Other
and P3000

Looks like a pretty serious problem to me.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Cleaned the MAF, but still no luck. I borrowed checkers scanning tool and came up with three CEL codes.

P0103 MAF circuit high input ON 1 CCM
P1410 VAD control system circuit malfunction OFF 2 Other
and P3000

Looks like a pretty serious problem to me.
[/b]
sounds like a bad maf sensor to me.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
So I'm guessing the Odyssey battery is still a good battery it just needs to be started often right?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's happened to me before...
[/b]
Did you have those same codes?

So I'm guessing the Odyssey battery is still a good battery it just needs to be started often right?
[/b]
Well maybe not so much. It says it can hold it's charge for 2 years. I would just disconnect the battery if you weren't planning on starting the car for awhile.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
How the hell did you remove the mafci while the car was still running is my only question? The maf wire would not be jumpered at all, or did you do it quick or something?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well maybe not so much. It says it can hold it's charge for 2 years. I would just disconnect the battery if you weren't planning on starting the car for awhile.
[/b]
Well, I hope all works out well for you dude, your car looks nice, CP-E supporter all the way....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How the hell did you remove the mafci while the car was still running is my only question? The maf wire would not be jumpered at all, or did you do it quick or something?
[/b]
I just unplugged it from the box.

I've talked with CPE, and it seems like their box is just fine because there are two red lights on the circuit board inside it that light up if it is working, I've checked them and they do light up. I'm meeting up with another v6er on friday to swap MAF sensors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I swapped mass air flow sensors with Regulator this morning and his worked just fine on my car. So I'm picking up a new one this afternoon. Problem solved. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I swapped mass air flow sensors with Regulator this morning and his worked just fine on my car. So I'm picking up a new one this afternoon. Problem solved. Thanks for your help guys!
[/b]
Ouch, that is about a $120 fix...

·
Registered
83 Posts
The same problem has just happened to me yestarday. The rpm jumped from 500-1200 and the car wasn't responding hardly any to the gas pedal. I took the car to discount auto and the they plugged in their computer to get the code for the check engine light. It said something like TAC vavle open. Im not sure i dont have the paper right now. Ill get it later today.
Mazda6S 2003 73000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts