Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
in the absence of unlimited budget
HA! Trust me, unlimited budgets are over-rated...you still have compromises. Hell, you usually have MORE with a higher budget cause you have more toys in your sandbox to play with ;)

I remember brake pad testing in Homestead...we never found the "perfect" pad. Everything in racing is a tradeoff regardless of budget. Lower budgets actually can be a blessing....you are forced to not worry about so many different things and focus on the basics....which are the core anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Lower budgets actually can be a blessing....you are forced to not worry about so many different things ;)
I hear ya. Good point.

Back to the build:

Got us some longer ARP wheel studs pressed into the hubs. For reference the old studs are placed next to the new.

Also got new wheel bearings pressed into the knuckle. What a PITA that job is. The knuckle is very awkward to set in the press, but got it done.

We then pressed the hubs into the knuckles and installed them back into the car. We also installed the upper ball joints into the upper A-arms.

We'll be gettin some negative camber now!

For fun, I plotted the camber curve (although I should have switched the axis') with the upper ball joint adjusted all the way out; then all the way in. The x-axis is suspension travel where 0=full droop and 7=full compression. The two curves depict the limits of adjustment. 3 is the static condition. If you draw a vertical line at 3 you see we can adjust static camber from -1.5 to -3.5. I think it is interesting that with the ball joint adjusted all the way in the curve is nearly linear. With the ball joint all the way out it gains negative camber rapidly in compression.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
One side done! Bilsteins, Eibachs, SS brake hoses, speed bleeders, etc. :D

On to the other side.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Maybe I missed? why did you opt for extended studs? Wish I would have known I have to sets sitting in my tool box collecting dust.
The 16x8s I have require a spacer on the rear. Also, at some point I may go to 17x10s which may require spacers depending on the offset and future brake upgrade. :D Also, for tech inspection, most places don't like acorn lugnuts - they want to see how many threads are showing beyond the lugnut. So, I figured there is no better time than now to go with longer studs and open lugnuts. Sounds like I missed a chance to save a couple bucks. :mad:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Thanks for the props, folks!

While I'm waiting for materials to be delivered for my next fabrication surprise, I figured I would start on the exhaust - and see what ya'll think.

My old exhaust consisted of headers into a pair of hi-flow cats, into a y-pipe, a single resonator, then split to two mufflers. Typical 2-1-2 exhaust.

The heavy mufflers behind the rear axle are gone and the new exhaust will exit the side of the car ahead of the right rear tire. Below are the hi-flow cats on the right and a pair of 24" glasspacks on the left I had in the shed.

I'm thinking of cutting out the cats, inserting the glasspacks and then turning both out the side of the car. Basic true-dual exhaust.

Wadaya think?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glasspacks? I may be old school here...but arent they raspy loud as all hell and produce tons of backpressure/ Or am I just re-living my days of the Cherry Bomb ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Glasspacks? I may be old school here...but arent they raspy loud as all hell and produce tons of backpressure/ Or am I just re-living my days of the Cherry Bomb ;)
Raspy, load as hell? - probably. But I 'm in a car with no side glass wearing a helmet and earplugs. Backpressure? Well . . . I don't think so. They are just a straight tube with packing around the sides. Should be less than the stock combo of cats, resonator and mufflers.

I also have a pair of these in the shed.

I think they are a larger diameter and longer. I might be able to get by with just one instead of the pair of glasspacks.

We're back from X-mas travels, we have a Jan 15th event deadline - time to head out to the garage. :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Well, here's what I ended up with: I gutted the cats and kept the y-pipe and resonator. I cut the tips of the O2 sensors off and used them as plugs. I added a small bullet muffler (I had in the shed) behind the resonator; then a 60ish degree bend and a 30" chamber tube after that. Finished it with a chrome tip of course. All the pipe is 2.5".

Got the gauges mounted in the cabin. :thumbup:

I'm hoping to fill all the vital fluids tomorrow and fire it up to see how it sounds. :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Lol I love your toy, keep it up, any reason you wanted the exhaust to come out in front of the tire?
Thanks! I wanted to keep it simple, light and out of the way of the rear suspension . . . and hopefully not too loud. Minimizing the bends and pipe length will reduce back pressure also. :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
when you first started this thread i didnt track it because i thought you were a mad man who just ripped everything out for the fun of it. well i just had to read 18 pages or thread and came to the conclusion that you are a mad man. a mad man who knows what hes doing. this thread is sweet. keep up the great work. and now im going to actually follow this thread.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Thanks for the kind comments folks. :)

In for a sound clip of this.
I fired it up and it runs well with great oil pressure. Once I get it out into the driveway I'll post up an audio clip. :thumbup:

With the front suspension done, the exhaust complete and the engine running, we continue working our way to the back of the car. Like the front, we install new wheel bearings, longer studs, Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs.

To give us a bit of "tunability" we drill another hole in the Racing Beat rear sway bar. This will allow us to stiffen the rear roll resistance a bit.

It'd be nice to add another hole toward the end to soften the bar a bit but there just isn't room.

I also shortened the bump stop an inch - after confirming there would be no interference.

Still alot of little things to do and double check. I'm registered for an event next weekend at VMP - not sure the Mazda will be ready. We'll see.

Thanks for following along. More to come. :D

161 - 180 of 641 Posts