Mazda 6 Forums banner
641 - 660 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
OMG the 6 is in the shop again and there's a To-Do list on the wall.

This can only mean one thing . . . :cool:
CR

·
Administrator
18,566 Posts
HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you've been well sir, we've missed having you around :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
Step1 - Drain the old fuel. Adding a drain plug to the gas tank turned out to be very handy. 👍

No promotion consideration was provided by Lowes. :(

CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Off with the Mustang wheels and on with the 13lb, 16x8 wheels from the FD RX7.

You'll end up with a collection of spacers and adapters to run all these different wheels. Left is 5mm hub centric adapter for the front mustang wheels. Center is 3mm hub centric for the rear mustang wheels. Right is 3mm spacer for the rear RX7 wheels (they are already hub centric). No spacer need for the front RX7 wheels.

I get them custom made at motorsport-tech.com

CR

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,352 Posts
You'll end up with a collection of spacers and adapters to run all these different wheels. Left is 5mm hub centric adapter for the front mustang wheels. Center is 3mm hub centric for the rear mustang wheels. Right is 3mm spacer for the rear RX7 wheels (they are already hub centric). No spacer need for the front RX7 wheels.
I get them custom made at motorsport-tech.com

CR
Been reading of your exploits for years. Great to have fresh material.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Fresh fluids and first start in 5yrs!

CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
Downsizing brakes?! Am I crazy?! OK I dropped less than an inch from the Mazdaspeed6 brakes to the Fusion Brakes - still bigger than the stock 1st gen Mazda6 brakes. Sadly, the Mazdaspeed6 brakes just would not fit under my wheels - and I REALLY want to run these 13lb, 16x8s. So there you go. :p

Besides red is fast, Right?

Shiny parts make me happy! :)

CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
We had our first team work day today. Got a lot done but no one thinks of taking progress pic while we are all busy, working and talking trash. LOL!

We pulled the bumper covers off and installed factory bumper bars.

You probably don't remember, but I removed these when I was building the car for HPDE trackdays and Time Trial - trying to save weight. They are required for wheel-to-wheel racing so we had to scavenge a set from a local junkyard. We'll need to add tow hooks before reinstalling the bumper covers.

Removed the race seats and waiting on delivery of the new FIA-certified MOMO seat. Also removed the steering wheel and disabled the steering lock (another race requirement). Again we're waiting delivery of the quick release hub.

Cut out the entire roll bar. Unfortunately, it too was not compliant. :(

Once we get the seat and steering wheel installed and the drivers happy with the position, we'll be fab-ing a complete SCCA, NASA compliant rollcage. Stay tuned!

CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
Another work night last night. We have an awesome team - very excited about the upcoming season, even though we are getting a bit of a late start.

Removed the flares - they were not going to last in wheel-to-wheel racing.

Got the front bumper installed (from a red 2004 car :D) and lengthened the tow hook about 2" for better access.

We'll be replacing the left headlight assembly as we'll need fully functional headlights for night racing.

Also got the quick-release hub installed.

I think next will be urgent work on the roll cage. I've begun modelling it in CAD - still some work to do. BTW, have you seen the price of DOM tubing? :eek:

Stay tuned!
CR

·
Administrator
18,566 Posts
I think next will be urgent work on the roll cage. I've begun modelling it in CAD - still some work to do. BTW, have you seen the price of DOM tubing? :eek:
Have you seen the price of everything? Crazy that used car prices are skyrocketing still and everything else along with it. Good luck to you and your wallet! :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
Still waiting on the seat so we continue with other items on the list.

Made a stand for our new tubing bender. Not a bad weld if I don't say so myself.

Base is the brake drum from a semi truck

Junkyard left headlight assembly - I'll be sanding and polishing it with the 3M kit and It'll look like new.

It's not a racecar til you zip-tie a pool noddle onto it! The junkyard bumper bar was missing the foam so I had to improvise. :D

CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
We find ourselves waiting on parts. Grrrrr! Making small progress. Added rear tow hook

Started building plinth boxes to support the roll cage

The new FIA-certified containment race seat showed up!

We have a team work day scheduled for Sunday.

CR

·
Administrator
18,566 Posts
I guess there's time to practice in the Sim Rig! :cool:

CR
That does not surprise me in the least. Are you running the 3x Console + 3x Monitor setup or one really nice PC with a sweet GPU?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Just a single PC with a Kicka$$ GPU

Such a great way to practice and learn new tracks. :cool:(y)
CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #659 ·
It's amazing how 3 guys can work for over 4hrs on a racecar an have very little to show for it.

Got the rear bumper cover trimmed around the tow hook and installed.

The team decided to keep the flares since the rule prohibit the tires extending beyond the fender - and they look cool. So, back on!

We changed the front brakes - again! After lengthy research, we decided there just isn't a wide enough selection of pads for the Fusion brakes. We really want to run Porterfield ST-43 race pads and they just aren't available for the Fusion. Sure you can mail them your backing plates and they'll make them for you but that is spendy and time consuming. So back to the Mazda brakes. ST-43 race pads are on order!

Meanwhile I spent my time making the plinth boxes. Only took one pic, but both fronts are pretty much done. You'll have to imagine the three sides and fully welded. ;)

While I worked on the boxes, another guy was fitting the new seat - with no luck. With drivers of different proportions, we have to have a seat slider which added height to an already too tall front cross member. So I'll need to cut, grind, weld modifications to this cross member to drop it about 2".

Did I mention our first race is April 23?! :eek:
CR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
OMG why does everything take so long?! The team worked hard Saturday & Sunday - Checked a few things off the list and added a few more.

Still working on the plinth boxes. One done, others started.

We cut the crossmember down where the front of the seat rests. Made a new cap, welded nuts to the back to hold the new seat down. Still working on the rear cross member. It was alot easier when I was the only driver - I just bolted the seat where I wanted it. With 4 drivers ranging from 5'-10" to 6'-2" we have to have sliders. Admittedly, with the full containment seat, you really need sliders to get out of the car.

We also decided that since we're doing team endurance racing - the typical race being 14hrs - we need to make a few mods to improve the longevity of the engine. Namely, a 3-row radiator and an oil cooler. So the front bumper came off AGAIN and the radiator w/fans were pulled out.

Since we're adding an oil cooler, we decided to relocate the oil filter to get it away from the long tube headers. We'll also be adding an oil temp gauge.

Here's the pathetic 1-row radiator.

Stay tuned - lots of work still to come!
CR

641 - 660 of 666 Posts