Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
This. Is. Sick. So - don't know if I missed this or not - what are the performance specs of your mazda6 when you get it completed for track duty?

And can you keep us updated with a detailed journal of how each event goes? I'm interested in these sort of things.

Good stuff. Where did you learn to do all of this - stripping, etc - btw?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This. Is. Sick. So - don't know if I missed this or not - what are the performance specs of your mazda6 when you get it completed for track duty?

And can you keep us updated with a detailed journal of how each event goes? I'm interested in these sort of things.
Check out the first post for mods already completed. Initially we're focused on reducing weight. Next is safety, then reliability, then performance. First event is full course at VIR Sept 9, 10, 11. I'll keep you posted.

Good stuff. Where did you learn to do all of this - stripping, etc - btw?
I've been around cars and tracks all my life - dad was a car builder and racer, but of course there is no substitute for one of these:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Was out of town for most of the weekend, but made some progress.

Got the front bumper cover back on.

Discovered a nice bonus about the CPE headers I put on in 2007: As you may know, the headers come with standoff brackets for the alternator that require a longer serpentine belt. Then, when you remove the AC compressor you need a shorter belt. The net result is the stock belt is the perfect length!

More good news: I scored an unexpected deal on a set of Corbeau FX1 Pros :p

Bad news: it appears I wasted two days fabricating brackets for the MR2 seats. :rolleyes:

I have to drop the car off Wednesday for a custom rollbar - I hope to get the Corbeau seats in and set it on the scales before then.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh I said GOD DAMN! NOW we are talkin race car! I hate you :)

I had OMP FIA-Approved in the RallyBlazer that looked like those. God I miss it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The much anticipated weigh-in!

There is still a bit more weight that can come out - I want to lighten the body panels - especially the hood. I need to remove the cats and the stock mufflers. I will continue to work on trimming weight, but I figure at this point, when the cage goes in it won't be getting any lighter.

As a reminder, here is where we started:
Total weight: 3160lbs
Front weight: 58.6%
Left weight: 50.5%
Cross weight: 48.9%

So I rolled it up on the scales tonight and here's what we got:
Total weight: 2632lbs
Front weight: 63.4%
Left weight: 50.8%
Cross weight: 51.2%

That's a nearly 17% weight reduction and about 600lbs lighter than stock.

As I expected, most of the weight shed was behind the front wheels so the Front weight went up 4.8% - a lighter hood will help here. Left and Cross weights stayed about the same - that's good.

I took it out for a quick spin to check it out. Even with the stock mufflers, it is way louder in the cabin. But it is definitely quicker and stops shorter. :D I think it's going to be fun on the track!

I'll post some decent outdoor pics when I get the bars, seats and harnesses done.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Any plans for a smaller, racing fuel cell as well instead of the stock setup?
Not at at this point. Track days and the Time Trial series I compete in don't currently require one. The stock tank is plastic, mounted very low and I never run more than 4 gallons - not alot of weight to be saved there.

BTW, Loaded the car on the trailer tonite and will drop it off at the race shop in the morning for the rollbar. Hope to have the car back Friday nite. UPS delivered new Hawk pads and rotors today. Still need to flush the brake lines and fill with fresh fluid.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
looks nice, this is a good direction for the 6..

i used an Autopower Evo 9 rollbar, I found locally for $400. remarkably it fits just fine... Cobra seats and Schroth belts.. thinkin of a fire system next.. i have an ext.. but, i like those trigger kinds for the engine/interior..

oh yeah carbotech pads were the best for my car. XP12s front XP8s in the rear.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
oh yeah carbotech pads were the best for my car. XP12s front XP8s in the rear.
I ran XP12s on another track car and although I liked them, they were really tough on rotors. The HPs seem to work almost as well, but don't eat the rotors as fast. :)

I'm doing just a rollbar and fire extinguisher for the remainder of this season. I'll do a full cage and hopefully a 4-head fire system over the winter. Gotta stay safe!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah, carbos are rotor eaters.. But, I got to 135mph on the long straight at big willow and the hawks just didn't cut it, on the speed6 for top speed braking.. They felt a bit faded then they locked up a few times, Not good results for me, at least..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Lots to do . . .

Finally got the car home from the fab shop last night - Irene delayed the job for a day or two.

Fortunately we have a long weekend coming up because there is still alot to do before the Sept 9 event:

Paint rollbar
Install seats
Install harnesses
Install fire extinguisher
Change brake fluid
Change engine oil
Install rotors and pads
Cover firewall holes
Tidy up wiring harness
Install rollbar padding

and probably several other things I haven’t thought of . . .

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Too nice to go to work today. :p

Got the rollbar painted, seats in and harnesses installed.

Waiting for the paint to dry before anchoring the shoulder harnesses.

The fun stuff is done - the rest of the list is more like work. <_<

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well, we scored another CL find:

These 16x8s with 225s mounted on them weigh in at 31lbs each. The OEM 17x7s with 215s weigh 41lbs. The rears require a 3mm spacer - no big deal. They look kinda tiny in there because the car is sitting on jack stands.

Here the car has had a bath and is ready to load on the trailer. A clean racecar is a happy racecar!

Here's the aluminum battery box in the trunk:

Headin to VIR Thursday! :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
impressive! gluck

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Here we finally have the dash out. A person could suffer a death of a thousand cuts getting that thing out of there. :(

Here's another shot after the heater/AC box has been removed.

And here we are with the structural part from the dash assembly re-installed to support the steering column.

Almost done stripping the cabin! :D

haha, awesome. trust me i feel your pain about the removal. i have my entire interior out as well. and the places they put clips and ground wire bolts is stupid to say the least.

man, project is looking awesome. keep up the great work man. subbed for more updates and project tracking. very interested in this.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I remember when the dealership had my entire interior out looking for a bad wiring harness. I almost had a heart attack, lol.

Great progress on the build. The cage looks great in white!

What's up with the one side of your car's door guards (trailer pic)? Start taking them off and then decide not to? Removing those and the V6 emblems = moar weight savings. :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Can I hopefully assume you will be mounting the harnesses on the horizontal cross bar?
Check! :thumbup:

Great progress on the build. The cage looks great in white!

What's up with the one side of your car's door guards (trailer pic)? Start taking them off and then decide not to? Removing those and the V6 emblems = moar weight savings. :D
Just one of several tasks incomplete as I've had to prioritize activities as my deadline quickly approaches. Everything has to be done, packed and loaded Wednesday night. The car also has to pass tech prior to Wednesday.

The rollbar is actually primer grey. I didn't have time to shoot it with the two coats of gloss black - the drying time was too long and I had alot of interior work left.

I have five weeks after the VIR event before we go to CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) - I'll continue to tweek the car and shave weight. :)

41 - 60 of 641 Posts
About this Discussion
640 Replies
74 Participants
bobmugen
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing