Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Man, can't wait to see this car weigh in, other auto xr's are gonna think sub 3000 is normal but here in the 6 community that's practically unheard of. Nice job mate.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the positive feedback and big thanks to those buying parts to help keep this project funded. :)

The weight shedding continues. Here the mufflers, heat sheilds and rear bumper bar is out. The bumper cover will go back on. :cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I have missed this, forgive me. Is it a safe assumption that you are/will run coil-overs to compensate for the increased ride height/effective spring rate from your "diet"? I'm curious to some of the other parts additions/exchanges you will be doing. Care to share?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Greg -

I don’t have a hard and fast plan as of yet. Experience dictates that priorities will be:
1) Lose as much weight as possible
2) Install proper safety equipment
3) Fit the widest/stickiest tires possible
4) Learn to drive the car on the track (get some seat time)
5) Make mods to correct specific deficiencies

I tend to take a methodical approach, changing one thing at a time and evaluating the results. To give you an idea, below is the summary of mods to my last track car that evolved over many seasons.

Modifications included:
Underdrive Pulleys
Programmable LPM (secondaries open @3600rpm, rev limiter set @8000rpm)
80mm MAF
K&N w/Cold air induction snorkel
8mm Taylor wires
Adjustable Koni Struts
Coilovers w/Eibach and Carerra Springs (3 sets: 700lb/in, 450lb/in, 350lb/in)
Front camber plates
Adjustable rear control arms for camber and toe
Torque box H-brace
Poly bushings everywhere
24mm front Swaybar
26mm rear Swaybar
Aluminum Subframe Bushings (shaved 1/2")
Front & Rear strut tower braces
Custom hi-flow exhaust
Trunk located battery
Five point harnesses
Five 2" gauges (mech oil pres, mech water temp, mech vac, elec trans temp, volts)
2-piece front rotors w/ aluminum hats
SS brake lines
Wilwood Superlite 4-piston calipers & Hawk Pads
Full length sub-frame connectors

I plan to do items 1, 2, 3 by the end of the month so I can do number 4 in Sept at VIR - which I’ve already registered and paid for. :D

If you haven't shopped lately, safety equipment is pricey.
Helmet is good for 10yrs, mine just expired - $300
Harnesses are good for 5yrs, mine are expired - $300 for two sets
Hans device in no longer optional - $650
Custom cage - $1500 to $2000

After I run events in Sept, Oct and Nov, I will likely use the off-season to work on the suspension.

·
Registered
418 Posts
^^^^^^^

Damn dude, I am liking this! Coming from Pro teams, you are bang on the target here with your plan.

My only suggestion (which along with $5 will buy you coffee...maybe) would be to switch to a FIA-approved race seat for you. I know its cash you would rather not spend (I was known as team No-Budget when I raced my rally truck), but trust me it is WELL worth the investment.

Saftey-wise, its a no brainer. Factory seats have springs which will cause you to move in the seat too much on impact. Hell, it could even cause your HANS to slip in an extreme side or multi impact crash. Also, the seat frames arent nearly as strong as race seats so they could possibly fail at the wrong time. Lastly, the padding in race seats will protect you far better when it counts. Just food for thought ;)

From a performance aspect, you will see a major difference in your feel/performance if you have never tried them before. When I switched in the RallyBlazer, I shaved SECONDS off my rallycross times. The confidence you gain is breathtaking. Also, you never realize just how much you are bracing yourself in non-race seats. Some will argue that the belts are supposed to hold you in the seat. Not true! Belts KEEP you in the seat when you brake and run out of talent (tongue-in-cheek). I simply cannot explain the difference in words. My driving ability went off the scale in comparison with that one change. If you havent tried it before, you gotta do it. In fact, I would suggest to put that in place before you do any serious suspension work. It might just save you some hunting and/or wasted time and purchases!

I see you live in NC...if you ever get out towards Indy, drop me a line...would love to hang out and see this baby run in person!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I tend to take a methodical approach, changing one thing at a time and evaluating the results.
For any aspiring tuners/racers out there....heed those words as holy scripture. I have worked with and learned from the very best in many forms of motorsport...and this is precisely how you win ;)

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Greg -

Programmable LPM (secondaries open @3600rpm, rev limiter set @8000rpm) not positive what a LPM is? Launch control maybe? not familiar with that acronym

80mm MAF CP-E, bomz, injen, fujita, and few other intakes will do this with stock maf. all require a tune

Front camber plates don't exist or work on this platform, SPC ball joints are the closets you will get without redesigning the suspension

Adjustable rear control arms for camber and toe don't exist yet

Swaybars closest you will find are what Racing beat use to sell.I don't think they make them anymore IIRC

Front & Rear strut tower braces only rear strut brace that was in existence was the Gtspec one that never made production.

Full length sub-frame connectors weld in I assume?

few things to know.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Flipper - Yeah, how nice would it be to transfer all those mods from the last car to this one. :) Sadly, that never seems to work out.

Greg - Real seats are on the list. I have used them & I agree they really allow you to focus on driving. My old MR2 seat work because driving instructors vary in size. And some times I have a co-driver and let's just say we are not the same size. Nice thing about the MR2 seat is the side bolsters are adjustable in/out, the thigh support is adjustable and they are very light. Though some times I worry they are not as strong as race seats. All good points - Thanks!

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
On the upside There are several choices out there to fit your 6 off the shelf and a few companies who are willing to support the community in the even something off the shelf doesn't exist.

As you start assemblying some of these items, I know people like myself, Justin, Dave, and a few others would also be interested in things like poly bushings being made and maybe we can get the ball rolling on them being production items.

I know SU/SURE is testing and fabbing some of the stuff you are looking for, which is why I say "not yet," so don't let that sway you or scare you away. Solid or close to solid mounts, RB sways, coilovers, and a good set of brakes make the car amazingly more responsive and track ready.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Solid or close to solid mounts, RB sways, coilovers, and a good set of brakes make the car amazingly more responsive and track ready.
The other point obviously is that the driver is the key to any "good car". I have been on two teams that had "rich guy" wanna-be race car drivers. They were in top-flite, state of the art cars and couldnt drive out a barn with the doors open and a pace car to lead the way. I watched those exact same cars, with no changes, almost WIN with good drivers ;)

I will take a good driver over a good car any day of the week...and twice on Sundays :D

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
The other point obviously is that the driver is the key to any "good car". I have been on two teams that had "rich guy" wanna-be race car drivers. They were in top-flite, state of the art cars and couldnt drive out a barn with the doors open and a pace car to lead the way. I watched those exact same cars, with no changes, almost WIN with good drivers ;)

I will take a good driver over a good car any day of the week...and twice on Sundays :D
Driver mod is always #1. that is why I said the car was "track ready" not will destroy all...

hell my 6 in relatively stock form was out running far higher performance cars with the wife behind the wheel....... simply because she could out drive them. It is entertaining to see her smash guys driving Porsches and Evos and seeing their reaction. Specially when she was driving her Swapped 240.

All it takes is one loose pilot nut to ruin a perfectly good car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
hell my 6 in relatively stock form was out running far higher performance cars with the wife behind the wheel....... simply because she could out drive them.
You Sir, are a lucky man! I, for the life of me, cant get my woman into cars at all! Oh, she supports my passion and respects it....she would come to the races when I was working, root for "my team" and all that...but thats it so far.

Once I get back financially to where I can get back on track myself, I hope I can talk her into taking a few laps hoping the "bug" will bite her too. Sadly, she cant even drive a stick-car yet! Yeah....I know....my fault for not teaching her yet. I want to upgrade the dogbone mount first as it drives me completely nuts in these cars with all the bucking....but Im picky ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I want to upgrade the dogbone mount first as it drives me completely nuts in these cars with all the bucking....but Im picky ;)
After blowing out two stock ones, I finally went with the poly version. More vibes to the floorboard, but finally gets the engine torque under control. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
After blowing out two stock ones, I finally went with the poly version. More vibes to the floorboard, but finally gets the engine torque under control. :)
I have a cheap/ghetto mod I want to do on the big end. Im gonna essentially put spacers in through the larger open part to take up some of that space hoping it will cut down on the backlash but still provide a bit of the vibration dampening. It likely wont work as it will probably just tear up the rest of the rubber. Its less than $20 so I hope to try it soon.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
You Sir, are a lucky man! I, for the life of me, cant get my woman into cars at all! Oh, she supports my passion and respects it....she would come to the races when I was working, root for "my team" and all that...but thats it so far.

Once I get back financially to where I can get back on track myself, I hope I can talk her into taking a few laps hoping the "bug" will bite her too. Sadly, she cant even drive a stick-car yet! Yeah....I know....my fault for not teaching her yet. I want to upgrade the dogbone mount first as it drives me completely nuts in these cars with all the bucking....but Im picky ;)
Yep, Pretty spoiled. She daily drives her 6spd brembo G35 which is decently modified. Sold her Swapped S13 to buy her G because after 2 years of no AC in florida she got annoyed with melting. I can't hardly even get her to drive an ATX car....

Only down side is she can drive and knows it. Hanging out with other dudes she has embarrassed more than one.... myself at times included.

hell she can even spot on tell you which oil filter fits her G w/o so much as pulling the numbers...... She likes playing with that car way too much it seems. Going to cost me a buttload Like the s13....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Only down side is she can drive and knows it. Hanging out with other dudes she has embarrassed more than one.... myself at times included.

She likes playing with that car way too much it seems. Going to cost me a buttload Like the s13....
<tongue-firmly-implanted-in-cheek>

Cry me a river will ya? I wish I had your problems! Mine pisses and moans every time I go to Harbor Freight or Sears. "Dont you have enough tools already?" Enough? Ha...she hasnt a clue...

The good thing for me with Amy is, and I hope I can parlay this into being more like your wife, is that Amy is VERY competitive. HATES to lose at whatever she does. You should see us bowling or playing the wii. Its war. Oh, dont play scrabble with her either...kills you and laughs about it. Loves to tell me what I missed or what she would have done. Really?!

The other good thing with Amy that gives me hope is that when she gets hooked, she is all-in and doesnt mind spending the $$$.

Case in point and this is the God's-Honest truth:
When I initially proposed marriage to her, I gave her a cheap costume jewelry type ring. I didnt know her ring size(she had lost weight recently) and had no clue(nor did she thus my dilema) what type/style/cut/etc ring she wanted. So, cheap ring with the promise to pick out the "real" ring together. She was way cool with this (she is more of a tight-ass than me on most things).

Fast-forward to last summer one day out shopping. I suggested at lunch we go look at rings...she agrees. While eating she sees out the window HHGregg (which she had never seen having lived in MD). She asked to go check it out. Mind you, Amy is an electronics freak! Yes, my Happy Place with her.

She knew exactly what she was looking for and walked right to it: LG 55" LED 240mhz flatscreen. Retail price? $2799. I laughed and told her she was on drugs. She continued to "sell" me on the TV. Duh honey, I AM a guy after all....TVs are in my genetic code...Im just poor, not dumb.

The salesman says they have 24months/zero interest (she gets flushed knowing she is 750 Beacon) AND they have an "Open Box" of that very TV. Of course they do. I get nervous but realize that there is NO WAY they can come down low enough for us to afford it. Her engagement ring account was about $1500 in the budget. Im safe ;)

The salesman returns and says.....wait for it.....$1750. I go into cardiac arrest. She looks at me and, not missing a beat, says, "Do I even need to tell you we are getting this TV?" The salesman nearly shit himself in shock and laughter.

I argued with her that we were supposed to be getting her ring and cannot afford both. She agreed but re-iterated the good deal this was. I agreed but told her I didnt want to "pay" for choosing the TV over her ring...that is a fate worse than death that there is no recovery from.

What did she do? She chose that big-assed TV over her ring! Yes, you read that right....she chose the TV over her ring. She still doesnt have her ring either ;)

PS-It was Fathers Day weekend and I also ended up with a Center Channel, Subwoofer and Surround speakers to complete the Dolby 7.1. Yeah...you want to watch TV in MY house!

·
Registered
671 Posts
She chose that big-assed TV over her ring! Yes, you read that right....she chose the TV over her ring.
She

Is

A

Keeper.

You're

LUCKY.

LOL

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Still shedding weight!

The rear bumper cover is back on. Here the front bumper bar is gone along with the AC compressor, refrigerant lines and heater hoses.

Still need to remove the condenser coil - looks like I'll have to pull the radiator to get it out. :mad:

21 - 40 of 641 Posts
About this Discussion
640 Replies
74 Participants
bobmugen
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing