Mazda 6 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I think you should travel farther north ;)

That's not completely out of the question. I'm considering running at NHMS in July and combining it with a family visit - Yeah, I grew up in NuHamsha. :)

I think I'm gonna run out of vacation days this year. :(

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I think I've found inspiration for my new graphics package. :D

Wadaya think?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Still making progress on the LSD install. Next I installed a new seal for the input shaft:

We got the correct bearings this time and here we are with the bearings and ring gear installed on the new LSD. I used loctite on the ring gear bolts and torqued at 45 then 90ftlbs in a criss-cross pattern.

Next we need to measure the pre-load on the Diff. Remember the gear cluster assemblies get end-play (a little loose in the case). The diff gets pre-load (a little tight in the case).

To get the proper pre-load, we install a shim between the out bearing race and the case. After carefully measuring (at least 3 times), we determine we need a 0.015in shim. The factory shim for the old diff is 0.025in - so it is too thick to re-use. Looks like we are headed to the dealer again. :rolleyes:

Stay tuned. I promise we'll get this thing back together before summer. :p

CR

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would assume then that you made this same measurement on the old diff & bearings and measured the depth to the opposing cases bearing seat to get a #?
Did you drop the case halves together and check it for actual pre-load?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
FI - not to offend, but it appears you may be thinking that adjusting/setting the differential pre-load on the Mazda A65M-R tranny is similar to a RWD axle - say a 9” Ford. I’ll use the Ford as a comparison because I’ve done it a few times.

On the 9” Ford, you can use a crush sleeve (like the factory does) or a solid sleeve. I use solid because it is re-usable. Anyway, with the solid sleeve, you add shims, torque to spec, then measure the rotational drag on the bearings. If it is tight you put in a thinner shim and repeat, if loose, you put in a thicker shim and repeat. Pretty straight forward.

With the A65M-R, there is no factory spec for measuring rotational drag. The factory shop manual basically says: provide a shim under the bearing such that when combined with the length of the diff, it is 0.0059 to 0.0083” longer than the available space inside the case. This will provide the proper pre-load.

Yes, I measured the pre-load of the factory diff with the factory shim and it was 0.009” (probably within the margin of error of my measuring ability).

The primary reason you set the pre-load by shim thickness is you really only get one chance at assembly. The shim goes into the case, then the bearing race is pressed in on top of it. If you decide the pre-load is wrong, you have to use a slide hammer to get the race back out and then I would not re-use that race/bearing again. Now you are pressing a new bearing onto the diff and starting all over again.

All that said, as a final check, you assemble the case with just the diff and reach thru the shifter hole to gently verify no end play and free rotation of the diff - that’s it.

Make sense?

CR

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
All that said, as a final check, you assemble the case with just the diff and reach thru the shifter hole to gently verify no end play and free rotation of the diff - that’s it.

Make sense?

CR
^^ perfect! That's the best final check before installing the gear sets.

Anyway - Negative on the comparison and crush sleeve and as you said, solid is the only way to go (vs crush sleeve). Yes, I've set up many 9" FoMoCo's with Dayton pinion support and Nodular housing so I know what you mean. Thankfully this doesn't have a hypoid gear in it to add more pain and suffering. I started to write about measurement error as you are on the edge but but deleted it. In this case; something is better than nothing.

I've done many MTXs, standards, ATX, RWD Automatics and as needed a diff here and there. Mostly 9" but several Dana axles too.

Bottom line - we don't know each others skills but 2 things I didn't want to see happen for you; rely on dial indicator and put it together without knowing the actual drag on the new bearing set by spinning "it and only it" in the case. I know its PITA but too loose and you get excessive wear and too tight and burns up. Preload makes heat fast and you don't need much for this design. My point, it should spin pretty freely when all is said and done with just a little 30w vs gear oil.

As you were! ;)

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Canyon, your inbox is about to be abused with people thinking they want sub frame bushings....
Sorry :)
That's OK. I'm probably not going to get into the manufacture and sale of these bushings, but I'll likely make a dimensioned drawing available that folks can take to their local machine shop for fabrication. I have the dwg for the front subframe almost done and I'll be doing one for the rear subframe.

It all takes time and I have about a week and a half to get the LSD tranny swapped into the car and ready to run. :eek: I may have to call in sick next week. ;)

CR

·
Super Moderator
17,557 Posts
That's not completely out of the question. I'm considering running at NHMS in July and combining it with a family visit - Yeah, I grew up in NuHamsha. :)

I think I'm gonna run out of vacation days this year. :(
How'd I miss this post? I too would be willing to drive up and make it a day thing.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #333

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
OK - finally got the right shims, adjusted the diff preload, set the gear clusters back in, assembled the shift forks and we're ready to put the cover back on. :cheers:

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
The big question is: Can I get this tranny swapped in by next Friday? I have annual tech on Saturday morning and the first Auto-X of the season on Sunday.

I'm gonna go for it, cuz I'm dying to try out the LSD. :)

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
With your vote of confidence, I started the swap tonight. Got the exhaust and subframe out:

We'll drop the tranny out tomorrow night and hopefully put it back together Saturday. :thumbup:

321 - 340 of 641 Posts