Mazda 6 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 641 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
It's like watching a soap opera

And next week on As The Camber Leans.....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
It's like watching a soap opera

And next week on As The Camber Leans.....

:laugh: Now thats just funny!

I'm working on solutions to several problems with the rear suspension:
1 - Camber adjustment: I want to be able to dial in camber with more precision. The slot doesn't lend itself to fine adjustment. And obviously it needs to stay put.
2 - Ride height adjustment: I don't want to use adjustable perches below the spring because they are too difficult to access and adjust on a regular basis. Ideally I'd like to adjust them without jacking up the car.
3 - Compliance: Eliminate rubber body mounts & bushings at the control arms and radius arms
4 - Tire clearance: If you've played with wide wheels at all you quickly figure out that the optimal back-spacing at the front is not the same for the rear. Given the stock geometry you would run a higher offset in the rear to avoid rubbing and less in the front. Hint: I don't plan to run different offsets.
5 - Swaybar articulation: The lower the car is, the less room there is for the rear swaybar to move with the control arm without hitting something. This is one reason Tri-Point relocated the rear swaybar to the trunk of their Mazda6 track car.

So we'll be looking at the multi-link assembly as a whole and making mods to address not one issue at a time, but hopefully all of them together. I know - I'm such an engineer geek. To me tinkering is as much fun as driving.:seeya:

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Liking how low they got the battery too...
Nice touch that

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Have yet to see ANYONE approach a 285 tire. The only dude who ran a 18x10 that I know of is GSM, and his were a +50 and ran a crazy stretch and camber to fit them. Will be interested to see what you come up with.

what aspect ratio are you planning with the 285s? 30?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Have yet to see ANYONE approach a 285 tire. The only dude who ran a 18x10 that I know of is GSM, and his were a +50 and ran a crazy stretch and camber to fit them. Will be interested to see what you come up with.

what aspect ratio are you planning with the 285s? 30?
Uhhh - there's a dude named CanyonRider that ran 285/30s for the first half of this season.

Admittedly, they were on 18x8.5s so they were pinched at the beads a bit. Offset was +50. Ran a 3mm spacer on the front and a minor fender roll in the back. Minor drop with Eibach Pros. -2.5deg all around. Very, very little rubbing in the rear after rolling the fenders.

My preferred setup is this:

These are 15lb 16x8, +50 from an RX7 over my Speed6 brakes. I would run 245s. Sadly, as you can see, we need about a 1/4" more room. Damn, I really wish they fit. :mad:

According to my calcs, the 285/30s on 18x10, +40s will fit the front with no spacers. The rears are gonna be tight - thats one of the things I'm working on. :p

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
^^ Man, you be crazy son!

Hah that's pretty sick. Patiently waiting the continuation of this reality show :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Holy brake abuse, Batman!

Did I mention CMP was tough on brakes? Do ya think these calipers got a bit hot?

These pads were brand new Hawk HPS pads on Friday night before CMP. Here's how they looked Sunday afternoon - 3.5hr on the track.

Notice the pads against the pistons are bent. :eek: This is why race cars have 4 or 6 piston calipers.

Notice the friction material being squeezed out the back through the holes. :eek:

Here are the stock brakes I just removed

Here are the Speed6 calipers & rotors and am working on installing tonight. Maybe these will work better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
@Fork:

I'm not sure spacers will provide clearance - I'm still playing with it. I'll let you know.

The piston seals and even the slider boots melted - all from CMP. I've done three 2-day events at VIR and never had that problem. CMP is brutal, plus I only seem to have one speed and technique - wide open and agressive. :D

Yes, unfortunately the MS6 brakes are still single piston. I'm hoping the increased rotor size, pad area and overall swept area will help with thermal management.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
all that extra mass will certainly dissipate heat better.

13" rotors in the rear would help distribute some of that load too.

btw, after seeing the near combustion event photos above, I'm wondering if you still buy the fancy brake fluids, or if you've moved to the inexpensive and replaced often theory? I've always been a fan of superblue & it's amber twin, but I get two years not a weekend...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
all that extra mass will certainly dissipate heat better.

13" rotors in the rear would help distribute some of that load too.
I wish I could get more work out of the rear brakes, but the static weight distribution is 62/38 and when you are hard on the brakes the front loads up even more - leaving very little weight of the rear brakes to work with.

btw, after seeing the near combustion event photos above, I'm wondering if you still buy the fancy brake fluids, or if you've moved to the inexpensive and replaced often theory? I've always been a fan of superblue & it's amber twin, but I get two years not a weekend...
Yeah, I've switched to Castrol GT LMA. It has a boiling point above 500, is affordable and locally available at Carquest. I change it before every event.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Oooo - I think I like!! :cool:

The 285s require a 5mm spacer in the front and rub on the outside of each tire. These are 275/35 on 18x10, +40. No spacers, no rub with -2.5deg camber and fender roll on the front and rear. :p

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
got to tired to match the valve stem dot to the valve stem on the front wheel?
Actually we started with them lined up, but the road force balancer said spin it. So we did. :)

261 - 280 of 641 Posts