Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
For starters:

- Check with the club you'll be racing with for any rules / regulations you'll need to adhere to

- Remove all lose objects from inside the car

- Remove the floor mats

- Remove the spare tire & jack

- Make sure your battery is secured tightly

- Adjust your tire pressures - this is a big one. Typically you'll want more pressure in your tires for autoX than you normally use driving on the street. This will help prevent the tires from rolling over while cornering (driving on the sidewall of the tire = no grip). You'll probably want more pressure in the front tires than the back. I usually run 42psi front, 36 rear. This may be a good starting point, but optimal pressures will vary from one type of tire to the next. The differential in pressure from front to back affects the handling bias of the vehicle. Plan to bring a tire gauge and a pump, or a portable air tank with you. You'll probably want to adjust pressures in between runs until you find what works best for you.

- Most importantly: have fun! :drive:

Also, I assume you'll need a helmet as well as numbers and your class designated on your car. Once again, check with the racing club to see what their requirements are.

177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For starters:

- Check with the club you'll be racing with for any rules / regulations you'll need to adhere to

- Remove all lose objects from inside the car

- Remove the floor mats

- Remove the spare tire & jack

- Make sure your battery is secured tightly

- Adjust your tire pressures - this is a big one. Typically you'll want more pressure in your tires for autoX than you normally use driving on the street. This will help prevent the tires from rolling over while cornering (driving on the sidewall of the tire = no grip). You'll probably want more pressure in the front tires than the back. I usually run 42psi front, 36 rear. This may be a good starting point, but optimal pressures will vary from one type of tire to the next. The differential in pressure from front to back affects the handling bias of the vehicle. Plan to bring a tire gauge and a pump, or a portable air tank with you. You'll probably want to adjust pressures in between runs until you find what works best for you.

- Most importantly: have fun! :drive:

Also, I assume you'll need a helmet as well as numbers and your class designated on your car. Once again, check with the racing club to see what their requirements are.
[/b]
Only question I have is about the tire pressure thing...I have 18" Potenzas and I have never ever had any evidence of rolling on the sidewall...If you think it would be, what pressure should I run

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you're driving the car at the optimal slip angle, the tires WILL roll over onto the sidewall if not properly inflated for autoX. The question is how much. I learned a neat trick to gauge this - take some chalk with you when you go and draw lines on the tire from the edge of the tread down across the sidewall to the wheel. Like you're slicing a pie. Probably 4 or so lines around the circumference of the tire will be sufficient. If the tire is rolling over onto the sidewall, this will make it obvious as the chalk will be scuffed up. You could do your first run with the pressures you normally run for a baseline. If you see evidence of rolling over, add pressure. Many people say you should have AT LEAST 40 psi in your tires. In my case I've found it's better to go lower than that in the rear. With 40 psi in the rear I get too much oversteer. It really is a matter of trial and error.

Edit:

Oh, and I forgot to mention - the type of surface you are driving on has a big impact on how you should inflate your tires. If it's a high-traction surface you'll get more bite from your tires and they will tend to roll more. In this case more pressure will be required. If the suface is slick, like sealed asphalt, or if it's wet there will be less grip so you can run lower pressures.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
And don't forget to bring your heart, determination, and the will to push the pedal to the metal when needed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts