Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm using 91oct in the summer and 87 in the winter.

In the summer, sometimes i feel the ecm is pulling timing when it's hot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont know if increased temperatures and less dense air would be a reason to pull timing, i dont believe so.

However its normal for your car to feel sluggish in hot temps because its getting less air

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I dont know if increased temperatures and less dense air would be a reason to pull timing, i dont believe so.

However its normal for your car to feel sluggish in hot temps because its getting less air
It's a fact it is actually. There is a 2D table that retards nd advances timing based on the intake temperature and coolant temperature. Max delta is 16 degrees of advance if memory serves me correctly. although the typical differential is likely in the 3-10 degree between summer and winter once the coolant temp is up to the thermostat temp of 185F. You, would be able to notice that difference for sure.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Simply law of chemistry. Matter will always be denser in colder temperatures. The hotter it is, the lighter density the air will be as molecules expand. It's why you have to adjust your tire pressure between Winter and Summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Own Mazda 6 2012 and with 15,103. When I bought it in 2014 it had less than 5k miles. Mazda just replaced the entire engine (warranty) due to misfire codes which they found (after 2 weeks there) a low compression cylinder. The service advisor recommends Chevron gas highest octane. What are your suggestions since I live in California and gas isn't cheap here??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Own Mazda 6 2012 and with 15,103. When I bought it in 2014 it had less than 5k miles. Mazda just replaced the entire engine (warranty) due to misfire codes which they found (after 2 weeks there) a low compression cylinder. The service advisor recommends Chevron gas highest octane. What are your suggestions since I live in California and gas isn't cheap here??

My suggestion is to ignore your service advisor, and buy any brand gas you find to be of sufficient quality and at least the minimum recommended octane (87)

Gas had nothing to do with your engine problem.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
My suggestion is to ignore your service advisor, and buy any brand gas you find to be of sufficient quality and at least the minimum recommended octane (87)

Gas had nothing to do with your engine problem.
This.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a Man. 2014 Mazda6 I Touring.
I know I'm a hard driver, but I compensate with mazda recommended harsh drive maintenance schedule.(Shotout to All Motors Castle Hayne, nc for constant reliable work)
  • I've driven about 350miles on regular at 26.4mpg
  • heavy foot most shifts are around 4k-6.5k) but once I get the speed limit +5mph I go straight to 6th gear.( so most of my acceleration is in 1st and 2nd)
  • when I come to a stop I usually down shift while rev matching.
  • I will be switch over to premium once I reach 1k miles on reg. The I will come back and inform all of my findings.
  • UPDATE.
  • 03/24/20. I've run into some problems. My machanic found a severe oil leak(oil pan chemical gasket) and a faulty VVT solenoid. It is covered by a warranty but they playing games( it is a Carava car, so it is a Silverrock warranty.)
  • Carvana extended my 7day money back warranty to 9 days since the 10th day falls on a sunday, which it is great that they are working with me.(wish silverrock would do the same)
  • At this point I've driven 387miles of regular(87), of the 400 free miles allotted(+ $1per mile past 400 in the event I decided I no longer want the car during my 7d money back.)
  • UPDATE Sunday 03/29/2020
  • Got the car back, decided to go ahead with the Premiun fill-up at 437 since I got the car, and it was at 26.6mpg
  • Now at 61miles since the fill up and I'm at 32mpg combined.
  • I would like to note the car fill less sluggish.
  • Total milage of the car is currently 70,392. I recieved the car with 68,888.

·
Registered
625 Posts
  • heavy foot most shifts are around 4k-6.5k) but once I get the speed limit +5mph I go straight to 6th gear.( so most of my acceleration is in 1st and 2nd)
  • I will be switch over to premium once I reach 1k miles on reg. The I will come back and inform all of my findings.
I like how you drive! Good to see another manual 6 owner here.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
636 Posts
Interested in the results!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts