Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a friend who drives the oil rigs to various gas stations, so these additives from shell chevron etc etc when do these additives get added because he said he will go to a shell drop off and then go to BP and drop off.

I never put premium in my mazda buy my Acura I did since it was necessary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This^ almost all gas is the same chance are it all comes from BP or shell witch ever has the distribution center in your area I have both BP in the same area on the same road right across the street

·
Registered
126 Posts
Best gas for 2014 Mada 6

I am a bit OCD, especially when it comes to my 1 week old 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with just under 200 miles on it (had 5 when I bought it last Wed). I still have almost 3/4 of a tank left, which my dealer filled upon purchase with the 85 rated unleaded which the owner's manual says the engine can use. My question is, is 87, or premium 91 or 93 rated gas slightly better for this car? Since the higher rated gas claims to clean more junk/deposits out? Or is higher rated premium gas actually bad for this particular car as I have read some say it may be? Or is it not bad for the car, but a complete waste of money, without any benefit of better performance, gas mileage, or "cleaning" strength over 85 or 87 rated gas. The manual says 85, does that mean a minimum of 85, or only use 85? Is the premium only intended for V6, V8 engines? What about the high compression ratio this car has with the skyactive 4 cylinder, any possible long term benefits of using higher grade gas?

·
Registered
331 Posts
87 Octane (regular) will be fine, and that's what the engine is made for.
you CAN run 89 n91 or 93 but there won't be any benefit from it. It won't break the engine either, but there's no need to run anything other than what's recommended. Min is 85 (not only!) and 87 is fine which is what most people would run.

Although the engine is a high compression engine there will be no benefits from using a higher octane. this one can and will run on 87 just fine.

Use top-tier brand gas, and they have enough additives to clean. No need for anything else:

Top Tier gas brands:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN) Holiday Stationstores, Inc. Kwik Trip / Kwik Star MFA Oil Co. Mileage Stations Mobil Ohana Fuels Phillips 66 Quik Trip Rebel Oil Road Ranger Severson Oil Shell Texaco Tri-Par Oil Co. U.S. Oil
76 Stations

Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations Exxon

·
Registered
616 Posts
I guess finding a Hawaii Fueling Network station here in Florida is out of the question. lol.
We do have a lot of HESS, RACETRAC and now WAWA for discount gas stations. Never trusted Racetrac . Hess a little more. Don't know nothing about WAWA. Anyone know about these mentioned?. Sam's Club gas?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess finding a Hawaii Fueling Network station here in Florida is out of the question. lol.
We do have a lot of HESS, RACETRAC and now WAWA for discount gas stations. Never trusted Racetrac . Hess a little more. Don't know nothing about WAWA. Anyone know about these mentioned?. Sam's Club gas?
I just go to Murphy usa

·
Registered
129 Posts
87 Octane (regular) will be fine, and that's what the engine is made for.
you CAN run 89 n91 or 93 but there won't be any benefit from it. It won't break the engine either, but there's no need to run anything other than what's recommended. Min is 85 (not only!) and 87 is fine which is what most people would run.

Although the engine is a high compression engine there will be no benefits from using a higher octane. this one can and will run on 87 just fine.

Use top-tier brand gas, and they have enough additives to clean. No need for anything else:

Top Tier gas brands:

Top Tier Gasoline

Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN) Holiday Stationstores, Inc. Kwik Trip / Kwik Star MFA Oil Co. Mileage Stations Mobil Ohana Fuels Phillips 66 Quik Trip Rebel Oil Road Ranger Severson Oil Shell Texaco Tri-Par Oil Co. U.S. Oil
76 Stations

Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations Exxon
This caught my eye, because in Hawaii, we consider Aloha gas to be the shittiest gas....its almost always the cheapest next to costco, and i think costco uses Aloha.....so I am very surprised they are using 'top tier' ....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put a full tank of premium in the car after running it on the shell gas that the dealership filled up it up with. It may be my imagination but I feel that the car Idles a little smoother. I know that aside from being less prone to knocking there is absolutely no benefit. however an extra 2.50 a tank to make my mind happy seam worth it. I will report back any difference in MPG.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree about the slightly smoother idle, I just filled up with 93 to experiment. But the idle was pretty soothwith 87 too, I am coming off a '98 saturn that jolted & rattled like crazy at idle, so my bar is still pretty low. I wonder if I'm just tricking myself into believing the premium makes a subtle difference when idling. Will see if mpg improves at all after this tank. I don't drive too much, my round trip work commute is 25 miles and it looks like I can go 2 weeks before filling a tank, so the extra $ for premium isn't really that bad for me, basically would be about $12+ per month if I decide to stick with 93.

·
Administrator
8,463 Posts
Considering the car is tuned to run on regular-grade gas, I doubt the fuel economy will be any better, let alone enough to pay for the extra $$$ you're spending on premium.

Trust the engineers that actually design and build these engines: if Mazda recommends only regular fuel, then don't waste $$$ on premium.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Considering the car is tuned to run on regular-grade gas, I doubt the fuel economy will be any better, let alone enough to pay for the extra $$$ you're spending on premium.

Trust the engineers that actually design and build these engines: if Mazda recommends only regular fuel, then don't waste $$$ on premium.
I know it doesn't make sense to do it, but the minimal difference in cost is something I am not super concerned about (paying to appease my imagination) and I do swear that it idles better. Even if I am wrong its my money to waste, I suppose and will only equate to a maximum of $50-$60 a year.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I know it doesn't make sense to do it, but the minimal difference in cost is something I am not super concerned about (paying to appease my imagination) and I do swear that it idles better. Even if I am wrong its my money to waste, I suppose and will only equate to a maximum of $50-$60 a year.
What do you drive 600 miles a year? When I fill up with regular vs premium there's always a $3-4 difference

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Administrator
8,463 Posts
500 miles per tank isn't a stretch, since it's about 30.5 MPG...

Using the COMBINED rating from fueleconomy.gov (30 MPG), if you drive 10K miles per year, you'll pay almost $90 more per year for premium (based on the 25-cent increase over regular around here). Driving a typical 12.5K miles, you're looking at over $100.

$100 may be a drop in the bucket for some people, but to most others, it's not.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
500 miles is common for me.. I get about 36MPG and fill up consistently around 14-14.25 gallons each time :) (that's 2-2.5 gallons left!) premium at most stations around here now however is a markup from 36-45 cents.. watch out it's coming. Flying J and Pilot are the only places to get the old .26 markup left. Chevron and Exon lean towards the 45 cent stretch.. shell too I think, but they're uncommon around. - sidenote just filled up for 3.08 a gallon yesterday woop woop LOL.

·
Registered
239 Posts
500 miles per tank isn't a stretch, since it's about 30.5 MPG...

Using the COMBINED rating from fueleconomy.gov (30 MPG), if you drive 10K miles per year, you'll pay almost $90 more per year for premium (based on the 25-cent increase over regular around here). Driving a typical 12.5K miles, you're looking at over $100.

$100 may be a drop in the bucket for some people, but to most others, it's not.
Regardless of symantics, I swear it idles better and a rough idle at a stop light drives me crazy. Not saying everyone should run premium. It'll run just fine on regular, I ran 500 miles on it. But for those that see the value in it, it's something to consider. Remember it's just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i put premium in because im getting a ping running 87 and it seems as though my gas milage went down dramaticly.
I was getting arond 100 miles every 1/4 a tank and i got 60 this time.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts