Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, from what I understand is higher the compression ratio, higher octane fuel is needed for the engine. But from Mazda's PR brochure, it states the high 13:1 compression ratio allows it to run on Regular Unleaded.....
So....what is the best grade of fuel for this car? I've been putting Premium out of habit and been getting ~30mpg after 1800 miles with very light foot on the gas. What you guys think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doesn't need premium. The "Skyactiv" explanation will take you into the weeds but it means they found a way around the issues -- you can use regular despite high compression.

I put premium in by accident a couple weeks ago and it did nothing for my mileage - Still about 31 in mixed driving with a slightly heavy foot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, from what I understand is higher the compression ratio, higher octane fuel is needed for the engine. But from Mazda's PR brochure, it states the high 13:1 compression ratio allows it to run on Regular Unleaded.....
So....what is the best grade of fuel for this car? I've been putting Premium out of habit and been getting ~30mpg after 1800 miles with very light foot on the gas. What you guys think?
Definitely regular fuel for the 6...

·
Registered
206 Posts
The only thing I would recommend is a premium gas station. Some mom and pop or discount stations don't have high quality fuel's. So spend a little more going to a quality station.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Someone on these forums posted a link to stations that qualify as "top tier". Basically any station that is listed as "top tier" includes fuel additives that keep the engine clean and maintain its performance and fuel economy.

Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always used Shell cuz that is the closest to my house and they are generally only couple cents more than RaceTrac(cheap gas) across the street. I don't believe QuickTrip is a top-tier, they seem to be priced too cheap to have good fuel additives.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here's the list of Top Tier gas companies:
Top Tier Gasoline

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers: (US)

76 Stations
CountryMark

Entec Stations

Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co. Mileage Stations
Mobil

Ohana Fuels

Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil

Shell

Texaco

Tri-Par Oil
Co.
U.S. Oil

·
Registered
86 Posts
How come Shell, Sunoco, and BP aren't on the list?
Shell is on the list. BP and/or Sunoco may add additives to their fuel but it doesn't necessarily mean they paid to get tested by GM, Toyota, or the other auto manufacturers to see if they qualify for the Top Tier logo.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ewwww STP

New cars don't benefit from it if you use good fuel - BUT if you ever need to when it has more miles:

The only real effective active ingredient in fuel cleaners is PEA .
So the more PEA you have, better it works. No PEA, or very little, like STP - snake oil/scam

Here's a list of 'real' fuel cleaners and rough estimates of PEA in them

* Chevron Techron Concentrate (32% PEA - some say that Chevron sometimes claimed even up to 45% )
* Gumout Regane (30-40% PEA content based on published MSDS data; about $5 for 12oz. bottle)
* Redline SI-1 (30-50% PEA based on MSDS data; about $9 for 15oz. bottle)
* Amsoil Performance Improver (28-37% PEA based on MSDS data; $10 for 12oz. bottle)
* BG Products 44K (??? unknown PEA content)
* 3M fuel system cleaner - about 40% (but not confirmed)

Of the above, only Techron and Red Line are approved by car makers. (BMW even sells Techron in the same bottle with a BMW label)

I have used RedLine and Techron on my older cars (Never did any type of testing about MPG or whatever, but i can say they never had any fuel system related problems - but i can't say that's because I used those; I guess it doesn't hurt and might benefit in older, short trip driven cars, so why not, in reasonable intervals?).

Techron conc. is very easy to find at many AAP or AZ stores and often have buy one get one free sales.
Redline SI-1 has the added benefit of also being a UCL (Upper Cylinder lubricant) and can be used in little maintenance doses also.

I really would not use any in a new car, but when it passes 75k or 100k miles, then I think one might benefit from it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do the listed "TOP TIER" gas stations need to be marked as TOP TEIR? Or is it just assumed the listed stations are TOP TIER. I ask because I was at SHELL and didnt see the TOP TIER logo...

·
Registered
331 Posts
No they don't have to display any logo.
It's not an assumption - they gets certified as 'top tier' when they have a certain minimum amount of certain additives in gas.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a friend who drives the oil rigs to various gas stations, so these additives from shell chevron etc etc when do these additives get added because he said he will go to a shell drop off and then go to BP and drop off.

I never put premium in my mazda buy my Acura I did since it was necessary.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 71 Posts