Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That all having been said, the basic painting or phosphating, E-Coat, etc. on Mazda subframes and suspension members is really, really poor. And further, my sense (based on what I have seen on this Forum) - is that just like Toyota Tacoma (Rockwell / Dana Corp) frames, probably made who knows where, the steel that is sourced for those frames and suspension members appears to REALLY have a propensity to rust. These subframes and suspension members bear close checking, and if at all possible, pre-emptive additional paint and rustproofing if a person is so-inclined. You should not have to do this, though!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That all having been said, the basic painting or phosphating, E-Coat, etc. on Mazda subframes and suspension members is really, really poor. And further, my sense (based on what I have seen on this Forum) - is that just like Toyota Tacoma (Rockwell / Dana Corp) frames, probably made who knows where, the steel that is sourced for those frames and suspension members appears to REALLY have a propensity to rust. These subframes and suspension members bear close checking, and if at all possible, pre-emptive additional paint and rustproofing if a person is so-inclined. You should not have to do this, though!
Well, ok, but really, how long should a car last if its NOT been taken care of? If youre the original owner i could see being irked if you took care of it, but not if you got it used. Hell i was led to believe my 3 was a trade in, turns out not only was a decent chunk of the front end replaced due to God knows what, but it was an auction car at that. I could have bitched to Mazda corp since i had the documentation, but i found out 2 years after i bought it, because i had an accident that i thought wasnt repaired properly. The dealer i got it from had flipped the entire staff save for a couple mechanics, so they couldnt ask the people responsible. All they offered in compensation was top trade in on a new car. I turned it down cause i couldnt possibly get a manual in a GT. So i just take care of it as best as i can and deal with it cause for better or worse, its the best one i can get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Montréal, QC the roads are tough here. I had the chance to buy a mazda 6 2010 for 800$CAD with 240km. It basically had the rear subframe issue and yeah the front was changed on recall. I didn’t know the cost of changing the rear subframe until I called the mazda dealer. Heck, the subframe itself costs about 1800$ before tax. Long story short, after crying the whole day hearing this bad news, just kidding I wasn’t crying, ok maybe a bit. So I found a decent rear subframe for 40$ at kenny-u-pull, it’s basically a self service scrap yard here in QC. I took of the surface rust (lots of ways to do it). Put two coats of rust-oleum paint and installed it.
here are some pics, I wanted to make a video but I thought It wouldn’t really help since it’s a pretty straight forward job, there is no differential or anything.

My suggestion is to buy a used one in decent shape and repair the damn thing or pay someone to do it for you. It took me 5h it depends how fast you want to go, Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
9 year old car from the snow belt and youre complaining about rust? AND your not the original owner?
Hey, your response is quite UN-educated, a 9 year old car regardless of who has title to it should NOT have SEVERE rust-out to a MAJOR suspension component that holds steering/arms/links etc etc all together. It becomes a potential safety hazard and can cause serious accidents resulting in loss of life/lives.
That is why the manufacturer issues a recall, problem is "occasionally" the vehicle get inspected by a lazy technician that takes a shortcut and only performs the installation of a quick-fix(ONLY DONE AFTER VERIFYING THE FRAME IS INTACT AND IN GOOD CONDITION).
The quick-fix may take the technician 20min to complete.
If the technician has to replace the frame its a big job that doesn't pay him much, so in turn may take the shortcut, that car then goes back on the road with a dangerous Sub-Frame
I worked as a tech and have replaced many many sub frames under recall.
The lady is not complying, she had a legitimate Case

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Hey, your response is quite UN-educated, a 9 year old car regardless of who has title to it should NOT have SEVERE rust-out to a MAJOR suspension component that holds steering/arms/links etc etc all together. It becomes a potential safety hazard and can cause serious accidents resulting in loss of life/lives.
That is why the manufacturer issues a recall, problem is "occasionally" the vehicle get inspected by a lazy technician that takes a shortcut and only performs the installation of a quick-fix(ONLY DONE AFTER VERIFYING THE FRAME IS INTACT AND IN GOOD CONDITION).
The quick-fix may take the technician 20min to complete.
If the technician has to replace the frame its a big job that doesn't pay him much, so in turn may take the shortcut, that car then goes back on the road with a dangerous Sub-Frame
I worked as a tech and have replaced many many sub frames under recall.
The lady is not complying, she had a legitimate Case
Exactly what im saying. Thank you Kodi. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dude, ive lived longer than you, it makes me more qualified as ive seen more. I stand by what i said cause its true regardless of what you think (shrug).
Dude, your statements are incorrect, your are entitled to your opinion, but it does not mean you are correct, even IF you are older than i lol :}

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Dude, your statements are incorrect, your are entitled to your opinion, but it does not mean you are correct, even IF you are older than i lol :}
LOL, no, they arent. You cant possibly prove me wrong of the stuff ive seen Im not saying that cause i have to be right, if you havent seen what ive seen, then you cant say im wrong is all.

Regardless, if anyone ever tried to take this to court, youd lose your ass on it, if the judge didnt throw it out first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
LOL, no, they arent. You cant possibly prove me wrong of the stuff ive seen Im not saying that cause i have to be right, if you havent seen what ive seen, then you cant say im wrong is all.

Regardless, if anyone ever tried to take this to court, youd lose your ass on it, if the judge didnt throw it out first.
Dont think were on the same page, bro, what in the world are you talking about taking to court this n that? Take what to court?
You keep rambling on n on about me not seeing the things you have seen? IF your talking about Automobiles ive been repairing them as a Class A licensed technician for the past 40 years, OOPS!! did i say 40, nah make that 45 years.
So anyways to sum all this up, i have no clue of what your all heated up about? All that was said is a car 8 years old should NOT have subframe rust-out to the point of it being dangerous and unfit REGARDLESS of who the present owner is.
Thank You, have a great day, pratice social distancing, wash your hands frequently, wear a mask when possible and stay safe.

Sayonara :cool:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts