Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2012 Mazda 6 i Touring with approx. 240K.
Owner i bought it from had front cross-member replaced under recall.
So, now i own it and have discovered that the rear-crossmember is prematurely rusted(no recall)
So im asking do many of you have the same issue regarding the rear cross.member, ALSO
There are three mounting brackets directly under the trunk that support the Emissions canister assembly.
So, ALL THREE of these brackets that are spot-welded to the under-body have so severely rusted out as to allow the Emissions Canister assembly to FALL OFF driving along and scraping on the pavement and damaged it and now emits cel (large/gross evap leak).
In all my years as a licensed tech have NEVER seen such premature rust out on an 8 year old car.
Oh yeah, ALL FOUR brake rotor dust/debris guards are missing, corroded off.
Excuse, but Unfucking believable!!

Curious,
Have many of you others have simular issues with this POS CAR.
Dont know whereabouts the vehicle spent most of its life but im in Ontario

Overall not a bad car but the premature rusting is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Go to the beginning and read the entire thread...

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Recently purchased a 2012 Mazda 6 i Touring with approx. 240K.
Owner i bought it from had front cross-member replaced under recall.
So, now i own it and have discovered that the rear-crossmember is prematurely rusted(no recall)
So im asking do many of you have the same issue regarding the rear cross.member, ALSO
There are three mounting brackets directly under the trunk that support the Emissions canister assembly.
So, ALL THREE of these brackets that are spot-welded to the under-body have so severely rusted out as to allow the Emissions Canister assembly to FALL OFF driving along and scraping on the pavement and damaged it and now emits cel (large/gross evap leak).
In all my years as a licensed tech have NEVER seen such premature rust out on an 8 year old car.
Oh yeah, ALL FOUR brake rotor dust/debris guards are missing, corroded off.
Excuse, but Unfucking believable!!

Curious,
Have many of you others have simular issues with this POS CAR.
Dont know whereabouts the vehicle spent most of its life but im in Ontario

Overall not a bad car but the premature rusting is unacceptable.
Yes i am having the same issue. Mazda mechanic just inspected the rear rust problem. Said just surface rust but the rear links may need to be changed. I just experienced a failed front subframe recall. The fix they did in June 2019 failed. I contacted Transport Canada and they contacted Mazda Canada and they replaced the front subframe. Im still very concerned about the back end rust problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Kimberly,
Good to hear they replaced front sub-frame, in my case as well as others im assuming the rear subrame is subject to premature rust, BUT is controolable, so Mazda doubt they will do anything, mine is a 2012 Mazda 6i love the car but why its so prone to premature rustout is beyond me, they are also known for excessive rusting at the bottom of all four doors, asside from all this the car is very comfy roomy, handles great and is ecellent on gas, dont you think?

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Hey Kimberly,
Good to hear they replaced front sub-frame, in my case as well as others im assuming the rear subrame is subject to premature rust, BUT is controolable, so Mazda doubt they will do anything, mine is a 2012 Mazda 6i love the car but why its so prone to premature rustout is beyond me, they are also known for excessive rusting at the bottom of all four doors, asside from all this the car is very comfy roomy, handles great and is ecellent on gas, dont you think?
Yes i love my car, but the rust is definately an issue. I see the rust on the bottom of my doors also. Was just thinking about getting something done with them before it spreads. Dont get me wrong, im am happy that Mazda fixed the front end issue.

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Yes i love my car, but the rust is definately an issue. I see the rust on the bottom of my doors also. Was just thinking about getting something done with them before it spreads. Dont get me wrong, im am happy that Mazda fixed the front end issue.
But knowing what i know now, i wouldnt buy another one. The customer service from Mazda wasnt very comforting or helpful in the beginning of my issue (Dec 2020). It took me 2 months and a few phone calls to get the failed recall completed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COOL, just curious, what year is your car, milage etc, for the money this acr is quite awesome, previously had an 05 merdecedes c230, had a slight accident last winter n insurance wrote it off, so bought this one 2012 mazda 6i love it but didnt expect it to have these major rust issues, oh well have to deal with it, but love the car l;ol

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
COOL, just curious, what year is your car, milage etc, for the money this acr is quite awesome, previously had an 05 merdecedes c230, had a slight accident last winter n insurance wrote it off, so bought this one 2012 mazda 6i love it but didnt expect it to have these major rust issues, oh well have to deal with it, but love the car l;ol
Mines a 2010 (196,000 kms). Back in June 2019 (at 175,000 kms) i had the front end recall completed at which time they installed a drain hose from the air conditioner which they believe is a contributing factor to the rusting of the front end. 20,000 kms later, my front end let go. My issue was why did they pass the front subframe at the time of recall? My mechanic showed me the rust damage, it was horrid. What bothers me even more is that it is more than likely a manufacturing defect from the type of metal that was used.

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Mines a 2010 (196,000 kms). Back in June 2019 (at 175,000 kms) i had the front end recall completed at which time they installed a drain hose from the air conditioner which they believe is a contributing factor to the rusting of the front end. 20,000 kms later, my front end let go. My issue was why did they pass the front subframe at the time of recall? My mechanic showed me the rust damage, it was horrid. What bothers me even more is that it is more than likely a manufacturing defect from the type of metal that was used.
interested, what do you mean by a failed recall?
Failed recall.......my front subframe separated and let go after the front subframe recall in June 2019. I would say instead of changing the subframe (cause it was not rusted to their spesifications), they just did the drain hose, bracket and applied wax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wowo, should have sued them for mis diagosing the problem and taking a shortcut to fix the recall, i definetly would have, so . . . .did they eventually replace it under warranty?

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
wowo, should have sued them for mis diagosing the problem and taking a shortcut to fix the recall, i definetly would have, so . . . .did they eventually replace it under warranty?
Yes they sure did replace it after i got a hold of Transport Canada. Back in December 2020 when it happened ( and yes i was driving) , i called Mazda Canada myself to see what could he done to rectify the issue. The person i spoke to said nothing could be done as the initial recall was completed and that its out of its warranty time frame. I asked whos higher up than them that i could speak to. They said no one lol. So i informed them that i will be contacting Transport Canada. They said do what you feel you need to do. I said thank your lucky stars that i am here today to argue this point cause if i was travelling any faster, it could have been catastrophic. The Transport Canada number i called so happened to be the fellow that initiated the recall back in June 2019. He pursued it and Mazda came thru. :)

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Yes they sure did replace it after i got a hold of Transport Canada. Back in December 2020 when it happened ( and yes i was driving) , i called Mazda Canada myself to see what could he done to rectify the issue. The person i spoke to said nothing could be done as the initial recall was completed and that its out of its warranty time frame. I asked whos higher up than them that i could speak to. They said no one lol. So i informed them that i will be contacting Transport Canada. They said do what you feel you need to do. I said thank your lucky stars that i am here today to argue this point cause if i was travelling any faster, it could have been catastrophic. The Transport Canada number i called so happened to be the fellow that initiated the recall back in June 2019. He pursued it and Mazda came thru. :)
2 months without a vehicle till it got rectified!

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
9 year old car from the snow belt and youre complaining about rust? AND youre not the original owner?
Sure am! If it cant take the snowbelt, then it shouldnt be here! And further more, i had the recall done, drove it with trust and confidence. Its not a burnt out light bulb were talkin about, its the front drive train, the frame which holds it all together. I have seen much older cars with an undercarriage in way better shape.

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Sure am! If it cant take the snowbelt, then it shouldnt be here! And further more, i had the recall done, drove it with trust and confidence. Its not a burnt out light bulb were talkin about, its the front drive train, the frame which holds it all together. I have seen much older cars with an undercarriage in way better shape.
Original owner or not, its only 9 years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy craps talk about ignorance from a major car company, wow, what an ordeal !! i worked with Chrysler for 30 years and very familiar with the recalls etc etc on vehicles, glad to hear they worked it out with you, but they don't t compensate these mis faults of their own in any way, pathetic, anyways glad to see your case resolved to your satisfaction happy endeavors with your Mazda 6, im still loving mine :)

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
And please let me add....I had it rust checked!

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Holy craps talk about ignorance from a major car company, wow, what an ordeal !! i worked with Chrysler for 30 years and very familiar with the recalls etc etc on vehicles, glad to hear they worked it out with you, but they don't t compensate these mis faults of their own in any way, pathetic, anyways glad to see your case resolved to your satisfaction happy endeavors with your Mazda 6, im still loving mine :)
Thank you, I am happy to have it back and on the road. I do know now to drive with caution, knowing the condition of the botton end. Lol

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I wasnt talking to you, i didnt see the OP was 7mo old when i replied. Still, the most cars usually have in "rust penetration" is 100k miles. You have no clue how the previous owner took care or didnt take care of it. Blaming the manufacturer is pointless and dare i say dumb. They dont promise anything you could possibly claim they failed to give you, especially if its a used car.
I got an 86 626 w 162k miles on it from a friend for $1000. The rear strut towers rusted in half and you know what i did? I strung heavy ass chain from the top of the tower to a point on the rear susp and drove it for another couple years. I didnt even mention it to my friend or Mazda, why? Cause i understand that things fail and id have no case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts