Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious but, do you guys/gals have this sort of issue on your driver seat left bolster?

The bolster foam on mine appears to breaking down prematurely and loosing it's shape. I notice this by the 2nd to 3rd month of ownership (around 2,000mi or so on the clock).

Upon close examination, by touch I can feel the foam moving and loose underneath these two wrinkles and is making some rustling foamy noise. This is at the vinyl side edge, btw and not under the leatherette seating surface. It seems to me like the foam is torn underneath...

The foam seems to be of subpar, low quality. Comparing this from my old ride (the near 13yr old B5 Passat), it never had this issue on the seats. Though that car had some worn surface leather graining by the bolsters through the years..the foam underneath said bolsters stood the test of time and was firm and sturdy when I traded it in back in mid-May.

I can't image how the driver seat foam would look like, years down the road..:confused:

Has anyone had this fixed by the dealer and via Mazda Corporate??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here, I would say even worse than yours. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Okay score...have you contacted your dealer regarding a fix to this?

Wouldn't that be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It should. I'm just not sure if this is considered a normal wear and tear thing..Yours don't have?

i had mine for 5 months and 3300 miles of seat time. I too notice the seats seem to be "wearing out" quicker than it should. So far my bolsters are still holding up, and on a side note it doesn't help that you have to slide over that left bolster to get out. A problem I do have though is I have scuff marks already on the leatherette drivers seat.
My bolsters seem to hold it shape as well at this point..I just can't imagine the looks of it as our car ages/accumulates miles.

Agreed, I have to lift somewhat my "rear" at times when getting in or out so as not to squish down the bolsters. I leave my power seat distance fixed (right reach for my left foot on clutch to floor) as it is more convenient for me to not to adjust distance at each and every time I get in/out of the car. Sometimes though, I wish the seats were manual (like in my old German)..a snap to adjust.

Is yours black leatherette? If so, you can use black Kiwi shoe polish lightly to stain the scuff. Mine had some by the side left back bolster..applied some and the scuff is very hard to find now.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is cloth seat (sport model) , the seats are absolutely fine just as on day 1. It is 8 months old and 6600 miles.
Are your bolster foams around the area (on the pics) still firm and taut? No breakdown or misshapen?

Foam imperfections/weakness, either under smooth leatherette & leather (both stretch and retract back, on and off pressed/seated) would easily rear it's ugly head and easier to spot, than cloth.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At first, I thought these foam breakdown on leatherette was isolated to my car...now it seems to be very common, even on a CX-5. I think Mazda, in the name of the Sky-Activ mantra of "lightweight"..has decided to apply a lightweight (literally read as "weak") seat bolster foams. :(

Okay, well I emailed and sent pics to Corporate & my dealer..they said B2B will cover these and agreed to replace the foams.

I inspected the right front passenger as well. Though that side is less "worn"..I can see the premature wrinkle/wear pattern of the vinyl and bolster foam is about to start. It's like an early stage, "mirror image" breakdown of the driver side. I'll mention that other front seat up to them as well, to "preempt" the breakdown from getting worse.

With that said, dunno but I'm having some second thoughts though..if it's well worth the bother. I wonder if this is part of the breaking-in "process" of the front Mazda 6 seats. I'm afraid if they start tearing apart the front seats, just to replace the foam..that there would be "collateral damage" in the interior, etc of any sort.

Call me paranoid, but the dealer at one point had dented (though very minor) my left rear fender (long since fixed, via PDR)..while they replaced my 6MT under warranty, when the car was with them for a week.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, I'm planning on stopping by the dealership tomorrow if I have time and show them my seats. Hopefully they will replace both of them, because I feel like the only reason passenger seat is not in the same condition simply because is being used way less.

ahh! GRR Sometimes I just want to go return my touring w tech and pay a few k extra and get a GT! !
I plan to bring mine in a month for them to work on, along with the 1st OCI.

Since you mentioned the passenger seats, it seems that the foams on those are alot sturdier and robust compared to the fronts. I've been giving them some seat time, esp the left rear passenger side seat. Firm, stout and very comfortable I can say, with the foaming of the rears.

One time, I had an empty 5gal water bottle (it sat on the rear left passenger foot well, for refill for home dispenser) pressed so hard against the left rear seat pad (same side I'm giving some seat time lately). Apparently, I had my driver power seat slide rearward to the max when I arrived for work that morning and left it inadvertently near whole day (forgot the 5gal bottle was behind me, imagine the pressure via power seat motor). When I came back to drive off for home..I just realized I goofed badly and nearly panicked since I noticed the squished left rear seat pad (and foam) with huge wrinkles on the leatherette seat pad. I thought the damage was going to be somewhat "permanent", from the way it looks.

Since sliding the power driver seat back forward (to drive at right position, for home) and thus releasing the pressure...it only took nearly an hour and surprisingly, by the time I got home that day, the leatherette seat pad and foam reverted back to the same normal state...as if nothing had happened. Like wow! No leatherette seating surface wrinkles, no foam misshapen, no damage at all. Nothing! :eek:

Score, please update us what Corporate and dealer would do for you. Hope things will be rectified appropriately and promptly, to your M6 pride and joy. :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Not sure what B2B is, but I digress. OK, so Mazda will take out your driver seat, and at your insistence, maybe the front passenger seat also. They will remove the leatherette covering from the seat bottom and install it back onto a new seat bottom made of the same mateial that failed initially, seems to be failing for most owners, and will certainly fail again since it's constructed of the same material as your current seat bottom. Unless the foam moving inside (as you stated) is due to the seat manufacturer covering an already torn bolster with its leatherette covering, then you will again experience the same or near-same failure as before, and as others here are already experiencing.

What is there to gain. I'll tell you. The leatherette covering will be re-used and may or may not fit as well (or as badly) as before the seat bottom replacement, and the trim panels around the seat bottom will start popping off from your body weight because they never secure as strongly and tightly as they did before disassembly. The locking points of the trim pieces are cheap plastic and once pried apart will only stay together if there's no weight pressing down on them, like the weight of your body as you sit in the car to drive it.

So, at best, your seats will be taken apart and replaced with the same faulty seat bottom and bolster material that will ultimately fail again unless the bolster was damaged in a one-time freak incident at the seat manufacturer level. You will hope the leatherette covering will fit nicely again and that the removal and re-installation of the seat does not cost you rocker panel sheet metal/paint damage if the tech is not astutely careful, and you will again have to petition Mazda for replacements, this time for the seat surround trims because they will now be popping off under load, and later for more new seat cushion because they will surely fail again. I know this because my previous Mazda had the same type of seat trim issue when the seat bottom was disassembled to satisfy a recall, and more recently, the exact same work was done to my Infiniti and the seat surround trims starting popping apart on it also. Not only that, but the leather cover now fits like poop and they now claim it's normal wear (and they refuse to make good), because Infiniti is as crappy of a warranty administrator as was my Hyundai before it was lemon law repurchased. You've had good luck, it seems, with Mazda. Maybe you know somebody, maybe you don't. Either way, at some point, they will see that your car is racking up quite a bit of warranty administration cash (if I recall your trans and clutch assembly was replaced with new units) even though non of the warranty claims are your fault. Mazda is no better at backing their cars than anybody else (except Lexus as a manufacturer-not their dealers), and they will eventually start to buck as the invoices start to stack up and the profit of selling this unit diminishes.

Again, none of this is your fault, and we are all apparently stuck with Skyactiv light body parts (a.k.a. feather light seats, bumper covers, etc) that have no resilience over time and are therefore Skyactiv=cheap.

I don't know. Maybe I should have purchased the 9th gen Accord v6 Touring for a few dollars more and some handling ability less. But, forgive me for saying, in your case, the seat replacement(s) in your case may not solve your troubles long, and may actually be putting you in worse off condition down the road than you are now. Please don't think I'm saying ANY of this is your fault, but I'm giving you the scenario that will very likely unfold in your founded desire to have your car made whole, which is what you and all of us deserve with any and all warranty concerns.

Good luck, and please don't thigonk I'm hating by giving you my experience with car seat issues and the automotive warranty administration across several manufacturers, including North American Mazda.
I totally agree wiith your points. If you read my prior post closely...I'm having second thoughts/reservations of having this done. "Collateral damage" can happen on my car, if you may.

The only thing I forgot to point out, replacing the foam of same type/quality/part number won't solve this (unless its an improved version) and I'm well aware of that. That is why I mentioned too if the repair is worth the bother. I always weigh the pros vs cons on things.

Oh btw, B2B means "Bumper to bumper" (3yr/36k) warranty for short.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My front seats..in it's current state @ 4,369mi/Day 146 of ownership. I'm not that portly at 138lbs and 30in waist. I am btw, well within my BMI.

At it's earliest days of ownership, I keep sitting on the left bolster (at apex points w/ stitches) to get in...nowadays, I avoid doing that habit, just after I noticed the two foam/vinyl side wrinkles are getting more evident. I lift my "rear" pretty often to get in now. :D I can easily slip in, with that space between the steering wheel and driver seat. I keep the power seat distance fixed, just right for my left foot to step the clutch pedal fully engaged, against the floor wall.

The front passenger..a very faint indication/very early signs of the foam "breakdown", if you look real closely..but hardly a trace to be noticed, really.

Well, I have a little over a month to contemplate on pursuing a fix (1st OCI/6mo dealer visit)...but currently, I'm somewhat leaning against it (weighing pros vs cons). This could be just sign of the Mazda 6 leatherette seats "breaking-in" (just an assumption of mine)...I just might live with it, for now.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Without seeing your face, I have to say you have good taste in sunglasses :D. Now if they fit you terribly I could change my mind LOL.

As for the seats, I hate to say it, but this is probably one of those things better left alone, or replaced with an upgrade by a pro auto custom upholstery shop =/
With Classic Ray Ban Aviators (even had photochromics and amber versions back in college, been wearing them ever since; NEVER goes out of style)...who needs tints (none on my Touring). These are my tints. :cool: :D

Regarding the driver seat, the wrinkling had long since stopped. I believe it's just part of the "break-in" process. Never had it gotten worse, since...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
2014 GT seats with 5000 miles on them, check out my side bolster

How did that happen to your left side bolster, at only 5Kmi?

It looks quite similar to my old, driver left side bolster of my old Passat..approaching it's 12yr old wrinkle bolster wears.

Do you always position your driver seat close to the steering wheel?

That's ingress side bolster wear...way too premature to happen, at 5Kmi.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
See, I noticed that Mazda designed narrow, well hugging bolsters on their front buckets seats (i.e. this black leatherette Touring front bucket seats; akin to racing bucket seats, albeit "street legal version", in that sense).

I set my front driver seat distance "fixed", since I drive a 6MT with just the right left leg stretch to reach press the clutch pedal flat, against the floor wall (I hate to keep adjusting the power seat slide motor, fore and aft). Fortunately, I slide fit/ingress to the seat easily, between the space of the steering wheel, relative to the seat. I do not hit the left side bolster (as in your picture) when I get inside the car.

I am 138lbs and well within my BMI, am relative fit with an Asian body frame...other than the seat wrinkle pictures I posted on the 1st few pages of this thread, I have none of these side bolster ingress wear. Not even a wrinkle. The wrinkle wears on mine are only on the ones by the seat (lower) bolster itself, as pictured previously (of which it stopped getting worse, I assume the seat had already "broken-in").

This gives me an impression that the interior ergonomics of the GJ is designed around smaller Asian body frames (vs say Caucasian/European body frames)...

The Mazda6 after all, is a Japanese car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.