Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious but, do you guys/gals have this sort of issue on your driver seat left bolster?

The bolster foam on mine appears to breaking down prematurely and loosing it's shape. I notice this by the 2nd to 3rd month of ownership (around 2,000mi or so on the clock).

Upon close examination, by touch I can feel the foam moving and loose underneath these two wrinkles and is making some rustling foamy noise. This is at the vinyl side edge, btw and not under the leatherette seating surface. It seems to me like the foam is torn underneath...

The foam seems to be of subpar, low quality. Comparing this from my old ride (the near 13yr old B5 Passat), it never had this issue on the seats. Though that car had some worn surface leather graining by the bolsters through the years..the foam underneath said bolsters stood the test of time and was firm and sturdy when I traded it in back in mid-May.

I can't image how the driver seat foam would look like, years down the road..:confused:

Has anyone had this fixed by the dealer and via Mazda Corporate??

·
Registered
926 Posts
i had mine for 5 months and 3300 miles of seat time. I too notice the seats seem to be "wearing out" quicker than it should. So far my bolsters are still holding up, and on a side note it doesn't help that you have to slide over that left bolster to get out. A problem I do have though is I have scuff marks already on the leatherette drivers seat.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here, I would say even worse than yours. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Okay score...have you contacted your dealer regarding a fix to this?

Wouldn't that be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It should. I'm just not sure if this is considered a normal wear and tear thing..Yours don't have?

i had mine for 5 months and 3300 miles of seat time. I too notice the seats seem to be "wearing out" quicker than it should. So far my bolsters are still holding up, and on a side note it doesn't help that you have to slide over that left bolster to get out. A problem I do have though is I have scuff marks already on the leatherette drivers seat.
My bolsters seem to hold it shape as well at this point..I just can't imagine the looks of it as our car ages/accumulates miles.

Agreed, I have to lift somewhat my "rear" at times when getting in or out so as not to squish down the bolsters. I leave my power seat distance fixed (right reach for my left foot on clutch to floor) as it is more convenient for me to not to adjust distance at each and every time I get in/out of the car. Sometimes though, I wish the seats were manual (like in my old German)..a snap to adjust.

Is yours black leatherette? If so, you can use black Kiwi shoe polish lightly to stain the scuff. Mine had some by the side left back bolster..applied some and the scuff is very hard to find now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can see a little break down of the foam. I suspect everyone is going to experience this. I doubt they are all of a sudden going to use different materials. Let's face it, Mazda has gone cheap on a number of things in this vehicle. I love the car but it's a little disappointing .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can see a little break down of the foam. I suspect everyone is going to experience this. I doubt they are all of a sudden going to use different materials. Let's face it, Mazda has gone cheap on a number of things in this vehicle. I love the car but it's a little disappointing .
I don't want to go off-topic, but could you perhaps summarize some of those cost-cutting things?

I'm wonder if this affects the cloth seats as well...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't want to go off-topic, but could you perhaps summarize some of those cost-cutting things?

I'm wonder if this affects the cloth seats as well...
It starts with the infotainment system and the cheap speakers. The lack of sound deadening materials to reduce road noise . The plastics inside scratch way to easy. The foam of the seats.The car drives fantastic which keeps me happy but it's not perfect by any means. I guess I can't really expect that from any car though. Look at the Honda Accord forums and they have their own set of issues.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. I had/have the same issue on my drivers seat. Now, it doesn't help that I'm 250lbs, but it is a problem.

I had it happen around year 2-3 of ownership and the dealership replaced the whole chair. The service rep said it was due to them not deburring the metal frame, so it cuts the foam. I never saw proof of it.

Replaced the chair, no issues for a couple years, then a couple of years ago I noticed it doing it again. It's gotten to the point that the cloth is frayed. I just live with it, since it has 125k miles.

Seems like they have the same issues. Either the foam, or the frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay score...have you contacted your dealer regarding a fix to this?

It should. I'm just not sure if this is considered a normal wear and tear thing..Yours don't have?

My bolsters seem to hold it shape as well at this point..I just can't imagine the looks of it as our car ages/accumulates miles.

Agreed, I have to lift somewhat my "rear" at times when getting in or out so as not to squish down the bolsters. I leave my power seat distance fixed (right reach for my left foot on clutch to floor) as it is more convenient for me to not to adjust distance at each and every time I get in/out of the car. Sometimes though, I wish the seats were manual (like in my old German)..a snap to adjust.

Is yours black leatherette? If so, you can use black Kiwi shoe polish lightly to stain the scuff. Mine had some by the side left back bolster..applied some and the scuff is very hard to find now.
I haven't contacted the dealer yet. Honestly this is my first new new car and first car with leatherette seats. I don't know why I guess I was thinking maybe that's how it supposed to be? But then after seeing this I asked myself my car is only 4 months old, what's gonna happen in a year.
I'm planning on changing the oil very soon and will mention about this issue for sure.

And here are my pics, 4 months old 6 w/ tech package 4k miles driver and passenger seats:

http://s9.postimg.org/n5xhc7ikf/IMG_0200.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://s9.postimg.org/sz7jcru7z/IMG_0201.jpg

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is cloth seat (sport model) , the seats are absolutely fine just as on day 1. It is 8 months old and 6600 miles.
Are your bolster foams around the area (on the pics) still firm and taut? No breakdown or misshapen?

Foam imperfections/weakness, either under smooth leatherette & leather (both stretch and retract back, on and off pressed/seated) would easily rear it's ugly head and easier to spot, than cloth.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are your bolster foams around the area (on the pics) still firm and taut? No breakdown or misshapen?

Foam imperfections/weakness, either under smooth leatherette & leather (both stretch and retract back, on and off pressed/seated) would easily rear it's ugly head and easier to spot, than cloth.
Yes the bolster foam is absolutely firm and taut. I double checked the seat completely after reading this thread and there is no breakdown.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
FWIW, my 2013 CX-5 has suffered a similar wear to the bolstering both on the seat bottom and back. I noticed it pretty quick. I'd say a few thousand miles into ownership.

20K miles later, and it doesn't seem to have worsened. But is till there...

By comparison, my 2006 MS6's seats still look new.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine look 100% the same in exactly the same spots!

I got mine in the end of May. I'm 195 lbs with 33" waist. Gotta love the cheap foam.

My mom's old Mazda Protege (2000) still look in relatively good condition (full cloth), and i used to drive it when i was a fat bastard (260 lbs 40-42" waist)

I haven't contacted the dealer yet. Honestly this is my first new new car and first car with leatherette seats. I don't know why I guess I was thinking maybe that's how it supposed to be? But then after seeing this I asked myself my car is only 4 months old, what's gonna happen in a year.
I'm planning on changing the oil very soon and will mention about this issue for sure.

And here are my pics, 4 months old 6 w/ tech package 4k miles driver and passenger seats:

http://s9.postimg.org/n5xhc7ikf/IMG_0200.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://s9.postimg.org/sz7jcru7z/IMG_0201.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well shit .... now that you pointed it out my leatherette has this too. Ugh

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At first, I thought these foam breakdown on leatherette was isolated to my car...now it seems to be very common, even on a CX-5. I think Mazda, in the name of the Sky-Activ mantra of "lightweight"..has decided to apply a lightweight (literally read as "weak") seat bolster foams. :(

Okay, well I emailed and sent pics to Corporate & my dealer..they said B2B will cover these and agreed to replace the foams.

I inspected the right front passenger as well. Though that side is less "worn"..I can see the premature wrinkle/wear pattern of the vinyl and bolster foam is about to start. It's like an early stage, "mirror image" breakdown of the driver side. I'll mention that other front seat up to them as well, to "preempt" the breakdown from getting worse.

With that said, dunno but I'm having some second thoughts though..if it's well worth the bother. I wonder if this is part of the breaking-in "process" of the front Mazda 6 seats. I'm afraid if they start tearing apart the front seats, just to replace the foam..that there would be "collateral damage" in the interior, etc of any sort.

Call me paranoid, but the dealer at one point had dented (though very minor) my left rear fender (long since fixed, via PDR)..while they replaced my 6MT under warranty, when the car was with them for a week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
At first, I thought these foam breakdown on leatherette was isolated to my car...now it seems to be very common, even on a CX-5. I think Mazda, in the name of the Sky-Activ mantra of "lightweight"..has decided to apply a lightweight (literally read as "weak") seat bolster foams. :(

Okay, well I emailed and sent pics to Corporate & my dealer..they said B2B will cover these and agreed to replace the foams.

I inspected the right front passenger as well. Though that side is less "worn"..I can see the premature wrinkle/wear pattern of the vinyl and bolster foam is about to start. It's like an early stage, "mirror image" breakdown of the driver side. I'll mention that other front seat up to them as well, to "preempt" the breakdown from getting worse.

With that said, dunno but I'm having some second thoughts though..if it's well worth the bother. I wonder if this is part of the breaking-in "process" of the front Mazda 6 seats. I'm afraid if they start tearing apart the front seats, just to replace the foam..that there would be "collateral damage" in the interior, etc of any sort.

Call me paranoid, but the dealer at one point had dented (though very minor) my left rear fender (long since fixed, via PDR)..while they replaced my 6MT under warranty, when the car was with them for a week.
Thanks for the info, I'm planning on stopping by the dealership tomorrow if I have time and show them my seats. Hopefully they will replace both of them, because I feel like the only reason passenger seat is not in the same condition simply because is being used way less.

ahh! GRR Sometimes I just want to go return my touring w tech and pay a few k extra and get a GT! !

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.