Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of purchasing ADR's M-Sport hyper black 18X7.5 rims. (A really popular combo for the 6) I was wondering what tires should I be looking at. I really like Falkens but Ive heard that there tread life is a probelm. Any info o this would be greatly apprecaited

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
size you want - 225/40/18

all season tires - i've had TOYO Proxes 4 and Falken Ziex 512 (Recommend TOYO)

Summer Performance - I have TOYO T1R and my good friend has Falken RT-615...The falkens are SWEET tires...can't speak for longevity tho. I'm pretty sure my Toyo's will outlast his falkens. The T1R's are very respectable tires as well, a step above the Proxes4

Good Luck choosing....

There are MANY more tires out there but these are the ones i have experience with....toyo is my tire recommendation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
size you want - 225/40/18

all season tires - i've had TOYO Proxes 4 and Falken Ziex 512 (Recommend TOYO)

Summer Performance - I have TOYO T1R and my good friend has Falken RT-615...The falkens are SWEET tires...can't speak for longevity tho. I'm pretty sure my Toyo's will outlast his falkens. The T1R's are very respectable tires as well, a step above the Proxes4
Good Luck choosing....

There are MANY more tires out there but these are the ones i have experience with....toyo is my tire recommendation.
[/b]

Will the stock Mazdaspeed tires work with those rims as well? I am saving for some ADRs as well and figured I can use the stock tires until they wear out then get some 225/40s for the rims.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Will the stock Mazdaspeed tires work with those rims as well? [/b]

Yes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right about the many choices of tires out there right now im looking at the Falkens azenis and the pirielli P zero nero I need to get a all season because my fiance drives the car every now and then and I dont want her wreacking my baby whenever it drizzles. Anybody out there got any info on those tires.

Also does anybody know the weight of the stock Mazda 6 wheels?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I need to get a all season because my fiance drives the car every now and then and I dont want her wreacking my baby whenever it drizzles.[/b]
All season tires are really only necessary if you live where it snows occasionally. If wet traction is your concern, and specifically hydroplaning resistance, then make sure you find a tire with large grooves in the tread. For example:

These are not all season, but because of the large grooves in the tread and silica reinforced tread compound, they provide excellent wet traction.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
if you are not going for a drop, the 225/45/18 is the BEST fit.
I currently have micheling pilot sport and they are really good, but darn expensive. Check the toyo/nitto range for someting more affordable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
perellis are great
goodyears expensive tires are great
firestone/bridgestone high end tires are great
i would stay away from toyos, i have had nothing but problems with there tires not getting grip and turning horribly

but your car wont ever need aonyhting too expensive, not to nock it down but 120 is not even enough speed to heat alot of the good tires up enough to make them sticky

keep an eye on its speed, tmep and traction ratings to see about what you will need

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i would stay away from toyos, i have had nothing but problems with there tires not getting grip and turning horribly
[/b]
Yeah, you've mentioned it before, but your experience with your Trans Am doesn't apply here. Get over it. Go spread your hate somewhere else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you are not going for a drop, the 225/45/18 is the BEST fit.
[/b]
I've been doing this debate - 225/45/18 (25.9") vs 225/40/18 (25.1") - one is .4 taller than the 17" OEM size of 215/50/17 (25.5"), one .4 shorter. The 225/45/17 (25.0") that many run is .6 shorter than OEM.

Those numbers are all for Kumho SPT's.

I like the gearing advantage of the 225/45/17 so I'm considering going with the 225/40/18. I will say though, that before putting the RB springs on, there was a _big_ gap with the 225/45/17's. So, as chikoo said, for looks wise the 225/45/18 should be better.

One concern that I've read from many is how is the ride quality on the 225/40/18 compared to the 225/45/18? Not sure I've seen a definitive answer on that.

Weights for all of them comes into play a little:

215/50/17 - 24.8 lbs
225/45/17 - 23.7 lbs
225/45/18 - 24.4 lbs
225/40/18 - 23.6 lbs

(all SPT's again)
In any case you're lighter than the OEM (not taking into account any wheel weight difference).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really love the pirelli's and your right the michelin are so damn expensive. See from what i have read off all the discussion's on what fits and doesnt fit the 225/45/18 dont fit and will rub. Thats why I figured that the 40 ratio was my only option. Now here is the question will the 45 ratio fit with a fender roll or do they not fit no matter what?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really love the pirelli's and your right the michelin are so damn expensive. See from what i have read off all the discussion's on what fits and doesnt fit the 225/45/18 dont fit and will rub. Thats why I figured that the 40 ratio was my only option. Now here is the question will the 45 ratio fit with a fender roll or do they not fit no matter what?
[/b]
Also one last shot. The GVW for the pireilli's is 4312 lbs. Now the service number is 88W. So the speed rating is more than high enough but in other post namely this one: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50145&st=0 says you cant go any lower than 91. Now the max loading on these tires is 1235 and that # times 4 equals 4940 way higher than the GVW somebody help me out on this one.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
[/b]

If you do not lower ur car, it will fit with the +50 offset. I have +48 offset and is purr-fect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
chikoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing