Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a manual 2005 mazda6 and i was talking to my mechanic and he was sayin that i shouldnt be able to power shift or even be able to pull my shifter out of gear unless my clutch is down.? can anyone else pull there shifters out without putting the clutch down?:huh:

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeah i can sometimes do it...u have to do it at the perfect rpm depending on what gear your in lol....thats when i get lazy lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can do it , its not the issue , the question is, is the car suppose to be able to power shift, i know the new honda civic cant bcause they have some kind of pin blocking the shifter from going in and out of gears unless the clutch is down.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I doubt it....i dont think its good for a car at all esp when u put it in gear without clutch....my clutch is really hard and sometimes my left leg get sores but oh well...other then that i wouldnt powershift

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Powershift or just straight up shift without using the clutch?

I assume by powershift u mean more or less rowing through gears more or less forcing it from gate to gate.

I drive clutchless all the time if I'm cruising around not in a hurry. its easy and it takes a little practice to do. its all about just knowing the engine and when to slide in and out of gear really. like as RPMs drop slide in in but u have a small window to do it right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you power shift, you still use the clutch. On a 1-2 power shift, you start pulling on 1st gear, keep the gas to the floor, and side step the clutch, thus slamming it into 2nd w/out letting off. You basically just want to kick the cluctch down enough to let it come out of 1st and if you are pulling hard enough it will have no choice but to go into 2nd! I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis though as most newer trannys are not build to handle this type of abuse.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sort of, power shifting is leaving the gas down while shifting. Just because you force it into gear doesnt mean youre power shifting. When im drag racing, i dont use the clutch to get out of gear, i use it to get INTO gear. So, im pulling the shifter while pushing the clutch so by the time the shifter is grabbing the next gear, the clutch is in enough to keep it fro grinding.

Now clutchless shifting like the guy above is different. You must match rpm's when downshifting, not so much when up shifting.

Also, more importantly, WHY do you feel the need to do this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
04Mazda666
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing