Mazda 6 Forums banner

power window problem

15K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  makk 
#1 ·
so i noticed it over time, when im raising my window, it stops halfway and rolls back down on its own. kind of annoying but i didnt give it much thought. tonight it was different, when i tried to roll it up, it just stopped half way.....then when i tried to roll it back down it rolled back down fine. BUt it still would not go up all the way if i tried again.. i had to manually hold the glass and pull it up with my hands..
its kinda annoying seeing that i bought this car with every last dime i had and expect it to run fine for a few years without having to replace anything.

is it the window regulator going out?
how much do one of those cost??
thanks

#3 · (Edited)
There is a procedure in the users manual to "reset" the automatic window switches. Roll down the window part way, then pull the switch up one click (manual up mode, not in the second click which is automatic mode) and hold it until the window goes up all the way and stops. Keep holding it until you hear a click inside the window switch panel.

Wait a few seconds and then repeat in the manual down position (one click of the switch)... hold until you hear a click inside the window switch panel.

I had a problem with my drivers power window motor, where there was too much resistance in the motor gears themselves. Mazda in their infinite wisdom used PLASTIC gear wheels inside the motor unit. Well seeing that the windows are UP 99% of the time, it appears that over time, the gears sitting in one spot and stressed in one spot causes the plastic gear wheels to actually warp and the gear wheel is no longer circular but egg-shaped. So when the gears turn they bind and cause so much resistance that the electronics think the window has caught on something and it reverses.

The expensive solution is replacing the power window motor. I fixed mine with a file and lots of patience and some lithium grease. The way it is designed, the power motor is a separate unit from the regulator/actuator that moves the glass up-and-down, so the motor can be replaced separately from the actuator. The motor is about $150 new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.