Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Z17 brake kit (geomet rotors and pads) installed last year and have around 30K miles on them. I know the 3rd gen Mazda6 vehicles have brake issues but I'm surprised that a Japanese brand trying to go premium has rotors go bad this early in mileage compared to Toyota and Honda vehicles. My brakes started to create vibrations at highway speed braking and I only use this car as my daily driver. I'm trying out the Autozone Duralast semi coated rotors and Gold pads (the Gold rotors and Elite pads are not available in my state). I figure it'll wear uneven again and at least swap them out under their warranty. Anyone else have similar issues or better mitigations for daily?

Liquid Shipping box Road surface Font Wood

Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Wood Tints and shades Auto part Ceiling Metal

Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Tints and shades

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hubcap

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
Hang on.

So you put the PowerStop setup on and within 30k miles got warping? Not to sound mean, but if those things warped then it might be a sign of your braking habbits more than the vehicle. I've had my PowerStops (same geomet ones as you) for like 60k miles without a single issue. I know we've got a recent thread on here too with multiple members praising the quality of PowerStop.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hang on.

So you put the PowerStop setup on and within 30k miles got warping? Not to sound mean, but if those things warped then it might be a sign of your braking habbits more than the vehicle. I've had my PowerStops (same geomet ones as you) for like 60k miles without a single issue. I know we've got a recent thread on here too with multiple members praising the quality of PowerStop.
I assumed that may be a possible cause as well but I never had that problem with the OEM rotors and pads before being swapped out. Never changed my driving style either but i did move from Texas to Hawaii. Environment play a factor? The car is currently at 93K miles and it only used OEM rotors and pads up until I swapped them out last year with the Z17 front and rear brake kit replacements.

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
Do you brake hard at stoplights and keep the pads on the rotors? Or brake lightly and use the trans to slow the car etc.
So what's confusing me is that it sounds like the OEM brakes did just fine when those were prone to warping, while the PowerStop warped when they aren't prone to it. Sticky caliper piston perhaps, creating too much heat?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Sticky caliper piston perhaps, creating too much heat?
On a 3rd Gen? I doubt it, unless its parked in a swamp all the time. I still think the Centric rotors have a lot to do with this and their machining process, not just the coating.

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
On a 3rd Gen? I doubt it, unless its parked in a swamp all the time. I still think the Centric rotors have a lot to do with this and their machining process, not just the coating.
Centric? You mean PowerStop? The PowerStop ones are the ones that are warping - he's got the same GeoMet-covered ones that I do and have had no issues.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Centric? You mean PowerStop?
No, we keep having that argument that yours are better than mine, but ive never had issues no matter how hard i drive. Just making a point maybe the PS rotors arent as tightly controlled during QA.

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
No, we keep having that argument that yours are better than mine, but ive never had issues no matter how hard i drive. Just making a point maybe the PS rotors arent as tightly controlled during QA.
Gotcha, I misread your reply. You're suggesting that going centric rotors is more viable than PS since they've got better QA, which is possibly why OP here has warped and I don't. I had centric before the powerstop and they were fine, but I feel PS has been better overall quality - then again, I got cheaper Centric.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts